PDA

View Full Version : iPad Camera Connection Kit

cflorio
Jan 27, 2010, 02:59 PM
The Apple website shows:

iPad Camera Connection Kit

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

So, using either a 3rd party app or the photo app that comes with the iPad, can I hook my DSLR (Canon 5D Mark II) up and then show a picture within seconds of taking it on that big screen? I will buy one of these if I can do that.

and.sleepless
Jan 27, 2010, 03:01 PM
The Apple website shows:

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.

So, using either a 3rd party app or the photo app that comes with the iPad, can I hook my DSLR (Canon 5D Mark II) up and then show a picture within seconds of taking it on that big screen? I will buy one of these if I can do that.

I think other programs can do this faster, I think my Nikon D300s comes with tethering software that works for Mac/Windows.
I hope its a instant.. Shutter Press... View image on Ipad sort of thing. If it is I'll buy it the day its out in Canada.

grovertdog
Jan 27, 2010, 03:09 PM
Looks like you can. My 5d will be happy.

Check out this page to see a pic of the camera connection kit.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Juventuz
Jan 27, 2010, 03:10 PM
I just see it as Apple milking the customer any way they can. There's no reason to exclude an sd slot or USB port on the iPad.

Eddyisgreat
Jan 27, 2010, 03:13 PM
Steve "form over function" Jobs could have made it a desktop replacement with every port imaginable but we know that's not how it works. Lets be glad there's an OPTION! He could've just said "no buttons, no slots, no holes, no nothing."

robotartfashion
Jan 27, 2010, 04:06 PM

I don't see where it says "instant view available"

The concern here is that a company, i.e. canon, adobe, or capture one to name the biggies would have to take the time and $ to make such a niche software product. Apple certainly won't cut them any deals or share in the costs associated as this is not marketed for pro photogs.

It would be different if this was OSX but with the iPhone OS it's most likely a no go.....that is unless you want to start developing for the iPhone!! ;)

So I would stay that you're "stuck" with a macbook pro and a sunshade or with a big enough budget and crew/truck a Mac Pro and 30" cinema screen and tech running them (but who has those budgets anymore?)

SanderEvers
Jan 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
Just wondering:

Will we be able to use it on a iPhone / iPod Touch? As the iPad uses iPhone OS?

cflorio
Jan 28, 2010, 09:31 AM
Just wondering:

That question has also occurred to me.

agkm800
Jan 28, 2010, 09:39 AM
Steve "form over function" Jobs could have made it a desktop replacement with every port imaginable but we know that's not how it works. Lets be glad there's an OPTION! He could've just said "no buttons, no slots, no holes, no nothing."

Form over function? Did you see that fat ugly bezel?

imacdaddy
Jan 28, 2010, 09:51 AM

I think we will need to rely on 3rd party app developers to come up with something for a live view or even better to use as a video assist monitor for video shooting. I'd love to tether my 5DMII to this iPad for timelapse shooting!

It has potential...only time will tell.

JonboyDC
Jan 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
I suspect it will work a lot like the camera connection kit for the first color-screen iPods. With that, you plugged the camera in and the camera went into the mode it usually does when exporting pictures to a computer -- which means the camera is generally unusable during that period of time.

(In fact, I still keep my original color iPod because when I travel, I like to have it available as backup storage for all my photos. I've never understood why Apple dropped this feature from later iPods and the iPhone.)

nextdimension
Jan 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
This should be possible but the app would have to come from Canon. If the kit doesn't also work on iPhone/iPodTouch then shame on Apple.

calderone
Jan 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
Form over function? Did you see that fat ugly bezel?

I guess you would rather have your hands covering the display?

skubish
Jan 28, 2010, 07:57 PM
The Apple website shows:

This adapter has been around for years. I have an old one I used with my iPod. It no longer works with current iPods. I am pretty sure it is just a dock connector to USB adapter. The photo transfer is all handled through software.

My big concern is that it won't support RAW format. I hope it does support RAW or a 3rd party app does.

ugp
Jan 28, 2010, 09:14 PM
This gives a great way to off load your photos while on a trip to an external storage. No need for tons of SDs card with the iPad.

Phil Lee
Jan 29, 2010, 06:07 AM
This is a compelling reason for me to get an iPad. It would be so much easier to take one on a trip than a laptop for transferring photos.

ugp
Jan 29, 2010, 09:16 AM
Gives an awesome way to upload photos from my digital camera to sites like Facebook or any other Photo sharing site with an App. I don't always want iPhone quality pictures.

I have a baby due soon and it will give me a way to share photos from the hospital with family really quickly.

Eddyisgreat
Jan 29, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have a baby due soon and it will give me a way to share photos from the hospital with family really quickly.

As if people really want to see your baby fresh out the womb.
Just kidding. It seems like they hound you until you send pictures then hound you until they see the baby :D

mackmgg
Jan 29, 2010, 11:14 AM
Just wondering:

I doubt it, as the iPhone/iPod touch doesn't have the software to import photos. Now if a 3rd party dev used this connector, I don't see why not, but apple doesn't have a program for importing the photos on the iPhone/iPod.

Also, if this thing could sync with an EyeFi, then that'd be amazing, taking a picture, and it instantly showing up on your digital picture frame

Lordedmond
Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 AM
This gives a great way to off load your photos while on a trip to an external storage. No need for tons of SDs card with the iPad.

it not big enough for that as sd cards run out at up to 32 gb one card and its full

one pic from my 7D is 25 mb that soon fills up a card ( yes it takes CF not SD )

JonboyDC
Jan 29, 2010, 12:13 PM
I really doubt it. It looks almost exactly like the camera connection kit for the iPod, which only works with the first generation color-screen iPods, even though there's no reason it shouldn't have been made to work with all subsequent iPods (or at least all subsequent iPods with screens).

davidangel
Jan 29, 2010, 12:22 PM
I just see it as Apple milking the customer any way they can. There's no reason to exclude an sd slot or USB port on the iPad.

I agree. Card slot and usb would be nice. Not surprising though, Apple usually keeps a tight reign on these things...

ugp
Jan 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
it not big enough for that as sd cards run out at up to 32 gb one card and its full

one pic from my 7D is 25 mb that soon fills up a card ( yes it takes CF not SD )

Well damn that is one large photo. For most users I guess it would work well. I myself have a 8MP Nikon. Pics are around 3MB in size each.

roland.g
Jan 29, 2010, 12:31 PM

At that size not to mention weight and price there is NO WAY to get all those ports on there. The dock connector with accessory is the only really viable option. You can't put ports on the back or around the thin side as it would have to almost double in thickness, and that speaks nothing at all as to the complications of adding those chips to the motherboard.

Why did firewire go away from the iPod, b/c it wasn't prevalent enough, every Mac and PC had USB 2.0 and they couldn't continue to shrink the size of the device and have both the FW and USB components inside the device along with a battery, screen, RAM buffer, and HD.

RazHyena
Jan 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
No iSight either. :( Seems like it's the perfect thing to use for video chats on the couch with.

So much for it being the "ultimate internet device." How much is this camera kit going to cost?

ugp
Jan 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
Maybe the Ultimate Internet Device is an opinion of Apples. lol

Pixellated
Jan 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
So much for it being the "ultimate internet device." How much is this camera kit going to cost?

$29.

ChrisA
Jan 29, 2010, 03:45 PM
Why use a cable? I want a Bluetooth or WiFi transmitter on the camera, even if it is a dongle that mounts to the camera. Then the images are sent wireless to the iPad.

USB cables are "so 1990s". I

stevetim
Jan 29, 2010, 03:54 PM

I think Apple is trying to avoid making the iPad be a replacement option for those consumers thinking about buying a laptop by limiting out-of-the-box functionality?

wilycoder
Jan 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
Anyone defending this adapter and defending the lack of a usb port on the iPad is a blind fanboy.

Drag'nGT
Jan 29, 2010, 04:18 PM
Anyone defending this adapter and defending the lack of a usb port on the iPad is a blind fanboy.

Can't defend it. I'd rather it be a tad thicker and be built in. But I'm gonna have to buy this the same day I get the iPad. Hate it but...

lordhamster
Jan 29, 2010, 04:26 PM

I'd much rather have built in standard (not mini or micro) usb port as well. But honestly, if i'm already schlepping around a cable the extra 1 inch dongle isn't gonna make a bit of difference as far as the hassle. I just hate having to buy another damn adapter.

cjmillsnun
Jan 29, 2010, 05:01 PM

Not going to defend or attack it until I've seen and touched an iPad.

VaatiKaiba
Jan 31, 2010, 03:09 AM
What I'd like to know (although it could be that I'm being very optimistic) is whether or not it could write to USB as well? I know something was mentioned about Bluetooth File Sharing, but I think they should enable a way of putting iWork documents created on the iPad onto USB via this connector.

What do you guys think?

cflorio
Apr 22, 2010, 09:48 AM
Anyone get this camera connector yet? Can you shoot teathered with a Canon DSLR?

jsbaugh
Apr 22, 2010, 04:07 PM
I just got my camera connection kit today.

Enori
Apr 22, 2010, 04:43 PM
I would like to know if it can see docs or other filetypes from usb stick. It would be killer feature if I could use pendrive to transfer files when not on wifi.

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
Highly doubtful. Where would the files be places on the iPad since it doesn't have a "Documents" folder or anything like that? Maybe they will allow developers to make an App that will be able to use the USB connector or maybe when they release the jailbreak.

Enori
Apr 22, 2010, 05:03 PM
Same place as files from mail. "open in" and we choose app, pages or readdledocs for example.

ippikiokami
Apr 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry to burst some people's bubble it's going to be a straight up connection kit to move pictures and thats it. Atleast thats what a developer friend of mine who looked over the SDK told me. Of course there is nothing stopping apple from changing that in future versions of the OS but for now it's like others said

Connect camera... Camera goes into transfer mode and you import pictures.
Connect SD card... Get import message / import pictures.

That being said i'm still getting one (why oh why is there none in the retail store yet?).

stealthman1
Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 AM
Not happy with a real quick play with today. Hooking camera to iPad it downloaded the small jpeg instead of the .dng files. Looks like ****. :p