Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

One Love 1867

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Sheffield, UK
I have been considering buying a netbook/laptop for a while, but as soon as rumour started gathering serious pace (and today was first mentioned as a "launch" date), I held off to see what Apple had up their sleeve.

As somebody who does a fair bit of blogging, but spends pretty much every daylight hour either at work or commuting to and from work, I am after a device that will let me publish articles and access the net during the day. That includes typing up pieces and using a simple graphics program to edit, crop and or resize images.

I was hoping that would be the iPad, but now I'm not so sure. Alot of the features look interesting and all, but for me whilever it is tied down to a bespoke, iPod-Touch-on-steroids OS, It's always going to have limitations.

Really stuck with what to go for now. I like the look of the iPad and I think it's got a fair few positive features.. but for the things I need most I just can't shake off the feeling that a Netbook or Laptop would still be better.

Bleurgh, part of me still wants one..

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Same predicament. I am buying it mostly for using it to type notes during lectures (on docked keyboard) and watching movies in bed, busrides and so on.
I have a 17" MBP, so this will complement it perfectly imo.

One Love 1867

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Sheffield, UK
If I can:

- Write an article
- Upload through wordpress
- Save an image from the net
- Manipulate said image in terms of resizing/cropping/possible adding text
- Upload image through wordpress

ALL as effeciently as I can on my Mac at home, then I'm sold. If not, I may have to start looking more towards a Macbook..

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
I have been considering buying a netbook/laptop for a while, but as soon as rumour started gathering serious pace (and today was first mentioned as a "launch" date), I held off to see what Apple had up their sleeve.

As somebody who does a fair bit of blogging, but spends pretty much every daylight hour either at work or commuting to and from work, I am after a device that will let me publish articles and access the net during the day. That includes typing up pieces and using a simple graphics program to edit, crop and or resize images.

I was hoping that would be the iPad, but now I'm not so sure. Alot of the features look interesting and all, but for me whilever it is tied down to a bespoke, iPod-Touch-on-steroids OS, It's always going to have limitations.

Really stuck with what to go for now. I like the look of the iPad and I think it's got a fair few positive features.. but for the things I need most I just can't shake off the feeling that a Netbook or Laptop would still be better.

Bleurgh, part of me still wants one..

I prefer a netbook, which I already own. The iPad is kinda like a new age Newton.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
If I can:

- Write an article

ALL as effeciently as I can on my Mac at home, then I'm sold. If not, I may have to start looking more towards a Macbook..

This is probably the most important part of your post. If your primary goal is to be productive and actually get some work done, the macbook is a better choice because it's more productive to be able to multi-task (which the iPad cannot do). Not only that, editing word documents on the iphone OS is just a pain to do.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
This is probably the most important part of your post. If your primary goal is to be productive and actually get some work done, the macbook is a better choice because it's more productive to be able to multi-task (which the iPad cannot do). Not only that, editing word documents on the iphone OS is just a pain to do.

+1

One Love 1867

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Sheffield, UK

Perhaps you're right. iWork does look interesting though.. i'd have thought that in itself would be an immediate step up from the standard OS currently on iPhone.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If I can:

- Write an article

iWork has been announced for $10 per app. WordPress should work through Safari. Saving an image should be doable. with PS Mobile, one can, or should be able, to do some edits. Not as powerful as other image editors but maybe usuable. Last item I have no clue on. :)

But for power and versatility, I would just get the MacBook.

applextrent

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2003
So. Cal
I hate to sound cliché, but there's an app for that.

WordPress has an iPhone app, although I still prefer the web interface for WordPress, even on my iPhone. It should work fine on the iPad. Also, WordPress's media manager has built cropping, orientation, etc.

As for the ability to upload images... I have no idea. That's going to be the big question.

It also works with Bluetooth keyboards, as well as the keyboard dock.

Then of course is the built-in touch keyboard, and as we all know everyone bitched up a storm when the iPhone only had a touch keyboard and now most of us would never consider using anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.