PDA

View Full Version : iPad has missing apps...

iRance
Jan 27, 2010, 09:39 PM
Anyone notice that the iPad doesn't have the calculator,stocks,weather,clock,and the voice memos apps?

tkermit
Jan 27, 2010, 09:53 PM
No, that's brand new information. You're probably one of the very few that noticed. Well spotted ;)

In all seriousness, they probably didn't see the need or rather wanted to push people in the direction of picking one of the many alternatives offered on the app store if needed.

Drag'nGT
Jan 27, 2010, 09:55 PM
Good eye. I'd be upset to see the clock and weather app gone.

calderone
Jan 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe they haven't finalized them yet?

blancoBronco
I'm sure they will be there in the final version of the OS released on the iPad. It is doubtful that Apple would have missed such important apps

doteyes9
Maybe with the big screen TI could release a feasible TI-83/84 or TI-89 emulator, that is if Apple would allow it.

Roessnakhan
All I can think of is one of those huge desk calculators on the iPad. :p

tkermit
Jan 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'm sure they will be there in the final version of the OS released on the iPad. It is doubtful that Apple would have missed such important apps

Is your post missing a SarcMark (http://www.sarcmark.com) ?

blancoBronco
Jan 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
Is your post missing a SarcMark (http://www.sarcmark.com) ?

I don't know what that is and the link never opened

tkermit
Jan 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
I don't know what that is and the link never opened

"The official, easy-to-use punctuation mark to emphasize a sarcastic phrase, sentence or message. " ;)

Warbrain
Jan 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
They're either: 1) On a different page or, 2) not fully redeveloped.

doteyes9
Jan 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
Also on the same note, why does it have an iPod app AND a Videos app? Last time I check the iPod app included videos.

EDIT: Never mind, the iPod app only has music videos, not all the videos you have downloaded.

tkermit
Jan 27, 2010, 10:12 PM
They're either: 1) On a different page or, 2) not fully redeveloped.

Why not

3) There now exist or in short time will exist enough well-done alternatives so that Apple simply doesn't need to redevelop and supply them themselves.

?

I seriously don't think they're coming.

bozzykid
Jan 27, 2010, 10:34 PM
Anyone notice that the iPad doesn't have the calculator,stocks,weather,clock,and the voice memos apps?

Jobs' iPad had more than one page of apps. They didn't demo every app. It's possible those apps aren't iPad compatible yet.

Warbrain
Jan 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
Why not

3) There now exist or in short time will exist enough well-done alternatives so that Apple simply doesn't need to redevelop and supply them themselves.

?

I seriously don't think they're coming.

Because Apple isn't going to rely upon the community for default apps that come on every computer, phone, and device.

tkermit
Jan 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
Because Apple isn't going to rely upon the community for default apps that come on every computer, phone, and device.

Maybe. We'll see. :)

Cougarcat
Jan 28, 2010, 12:59 AM
I really hope Apple decides to make a nice Preview app for PDFs, with nice annotation features.

marksman
Jan 28, 2010, 01:00 AM
The iPad clock app is actually a picture of flavor flav with one of 25 clocks around his neck.

admanimal
Jan 28, 2010, 01:02 AM

These are all kind of "widgets" rather than full apps, so maybe Apple has some other future plans for these kinds of things.

tkermit
Mar 8, 2010, 05:25 PM
Looks like those missing apps are not coming in the release version because Apple couldn't get them to look and feel right (http://daringfireball.net/2010/03/iphone_apps_on_the_ipad)...

mrgreen4242
Mar 8, 2010, 05:37 PM
Still holding out hope for at least an announcement of OS4.0 before the iPad release which will have a dashboard mode for these types of apps, and allowing a basic form of multitasking. In the meantime, I think they'll throw the iPhone version of these apps up in the app store as freebies, but not bundle them in as they won't be "official, permanent" parts of the iPad for long...

wolfpackfan
Mar 8, 2010, 05:49 PM
Well I have to say this is a disappointment. I do use Weather, Calculator and Clock a lot.

GadgetX
Mar 8, 2010, 06:32 PM
No stock clock app means no alarms running in the background :(

admanimal
Mar 8, 2010, 07:19 PM
I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that these apps will reappear in some sort of dashboard widget form, if not as regular old apps.

Eso
Mar 9, 2010, 12:31 AM
I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that these apps will reappear in some sort of dashboard widget form, if not as regular old apps.

I'll put up $100 paypal.

Casiotone
Mar 9, 2010, 12:39 AM
I think that these apps being reborn as widgets in a Dashboard implementation for OS 4.0 is so obvious and predictable that it's not even funny :)

SchneiderMan
Mar 9, 2010, 01:52 AM
I think that these apps being reborn as widgets in a Dashboard implementation for OS 4.0 is so obvious and predictable that it's not even funny :)

No i bet Apple will charge for them with the newer os version.

admanimal
Mar 9, 2010, 02:16 AM

Exactly. I'll bookmark this thread for future reference, so I can remember which member I need to send my paypal address to.

Eso
Mar 9, 2010, 05:32 AM
Exactly. I'll bookmark this thread for future reference, so I can remember which member I need to send my paypal address to.

Should clarify the terms then:

I have $100 on the iPad shipping without the apps entirely (OS 3.2)

I'll put $50 on OS 4.0 not having these apps as dashboard widgets.

Anyone else in?

mozartwon
Mar 9, 2010, 07:09 AM
http://9to5mac.com/ipad-widgets-apps-3469843

admanimal
Mar 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
Should clarify the terms then:

I have $100 on the iPad shipping without the apps entirely (OS 3.2)

I never said they would be in OS 3.2. My thinking was always dashboard in OS 4.0.

Eso
Apr 8, 2010, 02:33 PM

I believe you owe me some money, sir.

admanimal
Apr 8, 2010, 02:52 PM

Yeah let's wait and see what OS 4 actually looks like when it makes it to the iPad:

Then we asked about widgets or glanceable information and why it hasn't been implemented on this platform or the iPad. "Apple sort of pioneered the idea of glanceable information like widgets and it seems to me you've gone to great lengths to avoid something like that in this new OS. Can you tell me a little bit about why you've decided that? With something like the iPad, it seems perfect opportunity where you have a lot of real estate." Steve: "We shipped on Saturday, and rested on Sunday." (lots of laughs) We pressed and asked if it was possible. Steve: "Anything is possible."

Eso
Sep 1, 2010, 01:34 PM

Convinced that widgets won't be a part of iOS 4.2 yet?

admanimal
Sep 1, 2010, 02:13 PM
I am surprised that there aren't more additional features in 4.2 for the iPad vs. 4.0 for the other devices. I won't be completely convinced of what is or isn't in 4.2 until we get a full preview.

Eso
Sep 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
I am surprised that there aren't more additional features in 4.2 for the iPad vs. 4.0 for the other devices. I won't be completely convinced of what is or isn't in 4.2 until we get a full preview.

Considering that there are no Apple events in November, I think that the iOS 4.2 for iPad Preview (http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update/) is the best we will get.

Eso
Dec 29, 2010, 12:58 AM
Convinced yet?