Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Newsfactor clarifies some misrepresentation of the previous article regarding Star Office:

As it turned out, the story was based on a misunderstanding. Sun Microsystems spokesperson Marie Domingo confirmed on Monday that the Sun-Apple collaboration actually took place before Sun decided to release the source code for StarOffice, and that Sun's current plans for a Mac version are focused on OpenOffice rather than StarOffice.

OpenOffice.org has an OS X Developer Build for OpenOffice available.

EddieB

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2002
Yeah I tried open office for X11(build 638), it had a GUI installer(I think made by install anywhere), when it tried to install it said I needed Freetype-1.3.1, so I went and downloaded it, and installed it(I thinkt hat also had a graphical install). But then when I tried to install Open Office again it told me to do the same thing, so I restarted, and it still did the same thing, I tried it with X11 open, and it still said I needed the same thing. I know it's not because I have an Old copy of X11, because I updated to 4.2 right before I tried to install OpenOffice, so then I just gave up.
Anyone have a way to fix this, or anyone else experiencing this?

seven5

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I'm a big fan of Sun, but if they want to port Open Office, then they need to port it to aqua. Not make some darwin compatible version that runs under x11.

I tried this out and it needs some major help. I dont' mind running xChat under xDarwin, but not an office suite. I have yet to even SEE the 'word' app run, it crashes xDarwin every time. And the app launchers are applescripts. If this is the route they are going to take, its pretty sore. I dont see how the approach they are taking will ever get better or turn into a native app.

Maybe i'm missing something here.

kreinm

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Upstate NY
Mommmmy!!! It looks like Microsoft!!! :eek:

:D

Echoing the other messages, Yes Virginia, we need and want an Aqua (and quartz) based OpenOffice X. This is a difficult task indeed, but with several Apple and several Sun employees working on the project (along with the rest of the open source gang) the project should come along nicely. I assume that Apple and Sun will work together on the Aqua part (ie-no open source---Aqua is THE user interface and Apple is very sensitive about its look and feel)

Actually, with some prettier widgets, and a more hidden X-Windowing system, OpenOffice is acutally good and decent right now.

AntAllan

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
Lincoln, UK
iOffice?

If OpenOffice for Mac OS X is Aqua-fied (which OpenOffice.org says it will be), will it still be open-source (since Aqua is proprietary)? Or will Apple take ownership of the Aqua product and package it as another one of its (free) iApps? (With the X11 version remaining open; cf. the relationship between Darwin and Max OS X.)

If iOffice is bundled with future releases of Mac OS X, this would greatly improve the Mac's value-proposition, and make it easier for SMBs as well as consumers to switch.

luisrocha

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
South Texas
You guys seems to have misunderstood how the open source thing works. If OpenOffice is aquafied, it does not mean you are going to get the code for aqua; it means it USES the aqua API. It's like when you get the source code for a Windows program. You don't need the Windows code, you just need to compile, and whichever dependencies it may have. So there would not be a need for two versions. And Apple cannot appropriate it, since it's open source. The only source code Apple would not have to release is anything that is registered to them (i.e. QuickTime, AppleTalk, etc.)

Hope that helps.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Originally posted by tfaz1
Yeah. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried out OpenOffice?

...Or StarOffice, for that matter. I guess if OpenOffice works well, we might see a version of StarOffice eventually. From the (StarOffice) website it looks like it can literally give M$Office a run for the money. Anyone know if StarOffice's claim to be compatible with M$Office files is true in practice?

AntAllan

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
Lincoln, UK
Aqua

luisrocha - good catch. I guess it would no more belong to Apple than any other third-party app.

Still, I think Apple would benefit from being able to offer a Cocoa office suite rather than the Carbon AppleWorks. But it would be bad if Apple forked OpenOffice development to achieve this.

What could Apple bring to an iOffice version over and above a community Aquafied OpenOffice for Mac OS X?

Mighty Mac

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Star Office

Star office can read all MS Office files macros and functions work wonderfully on both. I used version 5 on a Red Hat box. Looks and feels much like MS Office. The only app that did not miror MS version was the Database aplication. I have tried to install the open office version but ran into aome of the same problems that others have already listed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.