Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frackas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
So I've got a MBA 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM.
(Not sure wich rev this is).

My 80GB Samsung drive is failing on me (put in by apple during warranty period, after the previous one failed).

After two fails, I'm done with normal harddrives, and going for a SSD.
I don't need more than 80gb though.

So my question is:

1. Which harddrive do I buy, and where do I get it?
2. Is it really difficult to swap them myself? Any links to guides..?

Thank you so much for answers. :)

MickeyVee

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Check out the posts on the Runcore SSD. Lots of great info. They come in 64 & 128GB drives.
Just installed the 128 last week. It's pretty easy, just download the drive replacement drive for the MBA from ifixit.com.
You will need to know which gen MBA you have to order the drive. Sould like mine, Rev A.

frackas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the help!

How do I know what Rev my MBA is?

As I said its a 1.6 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, but thats all I know.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the help!

How do I know what Rev my MBA is?

As I said its a 1.6 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, but thats all I know.

It's a Rev. A... the 1.6 with 80gb HDD was only released in the Rev. A. Future revisions would have had a 120gb HDD.

strangerblue

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
I also replaced my Macbook Air Rev A HD with a Runcore 128GB SSD.

In addition to the instructions listed above, I also watched some youtube videos on replacing the HD on a Macbook Air. It didn't add much to the instructions but it gave me confidence to open up my much prized MBA.

The speed difference for everyday use is well worth the cost of the SSD.

frackas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Right.

Seems like the 128 GB SSD is the best option.
Thanks so much for this!

However - how do I know which Runcore 128 GB that fits in the MBA? Or is there only one type?

Any good sites to by these?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
^ well the good news is that it doesn't seem too hard to replace the current hard drive in my wife's (I believe Rev B) MacBook Air 13/1.6/2GB/120GB MB543LL/A.

The problem though is that the RunCore Pro IV 1.8" SATA II LIF Solid State Drive SSD for Macbook Air Rev B & C seems pretty pricey:

Size Part Number Price Qty
128GB RCP-IV-LA1828-C $ 479.99
32GB RCP-IV-LA1832-C $ 189.99
64GB RCP-IV-LA1864-C $ 289.99

I think I would have no choice but to go with the 128gb. Maybe I could cheap out a bit and get the 64gb, but I think my wife's iPhoto Album alone is many gigs. I'd have to look and see what tools and other parts & accessories cost for this upgrade.

The problem is that her computer gets annoyingly slow though even on normal tasks after a little while. She can't watch any videos online it seems, something like hulu. I just wiped everything off and put in snow leopard thinking it might help but still slow. Been wondering what I could do. I am not sure if RAM can be upgraded. But I've seen a lot of posts raving about the SSD so I'm wondering if that's the best thing to do. I've also heard about something w/ a program called coolbook, that's something else I've been thinking about looking into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.