PDA

View Full Version : Need help with print server problem.

Mike Wazowski
Aug 22, 2004, 03:12 AM
I am trying to install a printer server (Linksys - PSUS4). I want to share a printer among an Apple Powerbook and two Dells (Dimension 4600c and D600). My problem is that after setting up the two Dells, I am finding it impossible to configure/map the printer to the Powerbook. I installed the printer drivers on the PB. Not knowing much about Printer Servers I assumed they talked to both Macs and Windows OSs with no problems.

I don't want to keep the print server if it means every time I want to print from the PB that I will have to cable the printer to the PB. I would prefer to return this print server and get one that works with both Macs and Windows. Not sure if it even exists. It could also be that I am doing something wrong as I try to map the printer on the PB.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a print server that works with both Macs and PCs? Or suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

superbovine
Aug 22, 2004, 03:29 AM
I am trying to install a printer server (Linksys - PSUS4). I want to share a printer among an Apple Powerbook and two Dells (Dimension 4600c and D600). My problem is that after setting up the two Dells, I am finding it impossible to configure/map the printer to the Powerbook. I installed the printer drivers on the PB. Not knowing much about Printer Servers I assumed they talked to both Macs and Windows OSs with no problems.

I don't want to keep the print server if it means every time I want to print from the PB that I will have to cable the printer to the PB. I would prefer to return this print server and get one that works with both Macs and Windows. Not sure if it even exists. It could also be that I am doing something wrong as I try to map the printer on the PB.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a print server that works with both Macs and PCs? Or suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

find the manual on the cd that came with thing or look on the linksys support site. after opening the pdf search for appletalk. you will need to enable appletalk. open up preferences,network, then select your airport or ethernet which you are using and configure. after that select appletalk and "make appletalk active". after that goto preferences, print & fax, setup, then + printer thing. click on selectbox choose appletalk, the one below it select local appletalk zone, and it will look for appletalk printer servers which just enabled then you install the correct printer driver.