Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
When I recently picked up my G3 600 mhz it came with the standard 256mb Ram (I think its a summer 2001 edition, snow colour, more like dirty snow!)

Without knowing that the G3 can be funny about ram I shoved in another PC133 256mb I had from an old PC, anyway, worked just fine, indicating a total of 512mb RAM

I then ordered up a couple of 512mb RAM from ebay, making sure it clearly said compatable with all imacs

Anyway, put both new rams in, loud beep heard on boot up, went no further

Then tried a known working 256mb with a new 512mb, booted up, however, it says 256mb available and the other slot as incompatable

Any suggestions or anything Im doing wrong, or is it plainly not compatable ram with imacs ?

Thanks in advance

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
What kind of ram did you bought? PC133? I have 2 of them, and i use PC100, althought the PC133 is also compatible i think, at least i saw that on the net, tryed and was a no go lolol.

marea16v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Yes, they are both PC133, I am lead to believe they are backwards compatible with PC100 though and shouldnt cause any problems

In fact one of the 256mb rams is a Pc133 and it works fine

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
When I recently picked up my G3 600 mhz it came with the standard 256mb Ram (I think its a summer 2001 edition, snow colour, more like dirty snow!)

Without knowing that the G3 can be funny about ram I shoved in another PC133 256mb I had from an old PC, anyway, worked just fine, indicating a total of 512mb RAM

I then ordered up a couple of 512mb RAM from ebay, making sure it clearly said compatable with all imacs

Anyway, put both new rams in, loud beep heard on boot up, went no further

Then tried a known working 256mb with a new 512mb, booted up, however, it says 256mb available and the other slot as incompatable

Any suggestions or anything Im doing wrong, or is it plainly not compatable ram with imacs ?

Thanks in advance

been there before , its all down to the ram and mac ,even some sellers say its mac compatible it not always is , and a firmware update can also cause the existing ram to be disabled
had to send back ram to the seller twice so far until i got what i needed
good if the seller has a return policy and you get your money back
i only buy crurical or kingston ram and no value ram even from these
manufacturers

here is a good article about it

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/10415
and you can try this tool

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Yes, they are both PC133, I am lead to believe they are backwards compatible with PC100 though and shouldnt cause any problems

In fact one of the 256mb rams is a Pc133 and it works fine

when i tried to put in a PC133 and booted up and started beeping like yours did so i guess the ones i have (PC133) are not compatible at all.

U got damaged rams, perhaps?

MacHamster is right, have a bunch of PC133 at home and non of them works

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
it has to be low density ram ,
the cheaper high density will never work , but a lot of ebay sellers swear it will work and they will even swear that they have tested it ,some even sell the high density ram as low density to make extra cash ,on most modules itself its not written on and when it comes to not working and i want to return they tell you simply .."you did damaged when fitting it ,maybe static discharge .....the ram it was proper working when they send it away "

i have bought for one of my iMacs from a private seller used ram 2x 256mb for just 99p he said it came out of a imac so i payed and did not even expect them to work really , maybe one , but both worked fine and still do

and there are ebay sellers with a good return policy: if it doesnt work just send it back and get your money returned

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.