PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Salinger, reclusive literary giant who wrote 'Catcher in the Rye,' died at 91

MacNut
Jan 28, 2010, 12:35 PM
J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's literary representative. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

"The Catcher in the Rye," with its immortal teenage protagonist, the twisted, rebellious Holden Caulfield, came out in 1951, a time of anxious, Cold War conformity and the dawn of modern adolescence. The Book-of-the-Month Club, which made "Catcher" a featured selection, advised that for "anyone who has ever brought up a son" the novel will be "a source of wonder and delight and concern."

Enraged by all the "phonies" who make "me so depressed I go crazy," Holden soon became American literature's most famous anti-hero since Huckleberry Finn. The novel's sales are astonishing more than 60 million copies worldwide and its impact incalculable. Decades after publication, the book remains a defining expression of that most American of dreams to never grow up.

J.D. Salinger, reclusive literary giant who wrote 'Catcher in the Rye,' dead at age 91

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2010/01/28/2010-01-28_jd_salinger_reclusive_literary_giant_who_wrote_catcher_in_the_rye_dead_at_age_91.html#ixzz0dvvwfz qE

dmr727
Jan 28, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hate to say it, but it didn't dawn on me that he was even still alive.

Bummer. But hey, 91 years is a good run!

jav6454
Jan 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
I was about to post this. Sad, good writer. Loved "Catcher in the Rye"

mkrishnan
Jan 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
What he wanted from life is still such a mystery. Hopefully he found fulfillment in his cloister.

str1f3
Jan 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
The Catcher in the Rye changed my life and made me who I am more than my parents or society. RIP J.D. Salinger, you were my first true hero.

leomac08
Jan 28, 2010, 09:29 PM
I read his book "catcher and the rye" back in the 11th grade.....:(

he will be missed... (golf clap)

localoid
Jan 28, 2010, 10:32 PM
I wonder how many unpublished manuscripts (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/28/AR2010012804339.html) he had stashed away in his safe?

ravenvii
Jan 28, 2010, 10:48 PM
The Catcher in the Rye changed my life and made me who I am more than my parents or society. RIP J.D. Salinger, you were my first true hero.

I sincerely hope for your sake that you, after seeing what a pathetic whiner Holden is, changed your life for the better (in other words, turned towards an opposite direction).

I've always disliked Catcher in the Rye, and as I was reading it I constantly wanted to smack Holden on the head and tell him to man up.

And no I wasn't a "wise" adult when I read it - I was in the 9th grade, as well.

Scepticalscribe
Jan 29, 2010, 12:35 AM
I sincerely hope for your sake that you, after seeing what a pathetic whiner Holden is, changed your life for the better (in other words, turned towards an opposite direction).

I've always disliked Catcher in the Rye, and as I was reading it I constantly wanted to smack Holden on the head and tell him to man up.

And no I wasn't a "wise" adult when I read it - I was in the 9th grade, as well.

As it happens, that was precisely my reaction as well when I read Catcher in the Rye, and friends for whom Salinger/Holden were heroes on the plinth of the soul used to stare incredulously when I offered this response. Subsequently, I put it down to the fact that I may have read it way too late, when I was in my mid twenties, rather than during my alienated teen years, but your comment makes me wonder if that would have been my response would have been the same had I read it earlier. However, it always struck me as one of those books you have to read at a certain age for it to hit the zeitgeist factor fully.

Cheers

mkrishnan
Jan 29, 2010, 06:20 AM

I read it in 10th grade, or maybe 11th.... Holden Caufield is a jackass, but that doesn't stop him from experiencing moments of beauty. I think it's a great novel. It's hardly inspirational, but it's still a great novel.

themoonisdown09
Jan 29, 2010, 06:56 AM
Is it bad that I've never heard of the book Catcher in the Rye?

instaxgirl
Jan 29, 2010, 09:00 AM

Probably :p

I loved Catcher in the Rye when I was 15. My mum told me she never understood it which spoke volumes to me.

We still don't really understand each other.

I tend not to reread it though. I don't want to start thinking like that book again.

jav6454
Jan 29, 2010, 09:52 AM

More than likely, it's on many high school's reading lists. You will read it as an assignment at some point from 9th to 11th grade.

yg17
Jan 29, 2010, 10:02 AM

Depends. Did you graduate high school?

Abstract
Jan 29, 2010, 06:54 PM
I didn't read it because it was on the high school curriculum. I read it because someone told me it was awesome. It was. Loved that book.

Franny and Zooey is great as well. ;)