Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's literary representative. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

"The Catcher in the Rye," with its immortal teenage protagonist, the twisted, rebellious Holden Caulfield, came out in 1951, a time of anxious, Cold War conformity and the dawn of modern adolescence. The Book-of-the-Month Club, which made "Catcher" a featured selection, advised that for "anyone who has ever brought up a son" the novel will be "a source of wonder and delight — and concern."

Enraged by all the "phonies" who make "me so depressed I go crazy," Holden soon became American literature's most famous anti-hero since Huckleberry Finn. The novel's sales are astonishing — more than 60 million copies worldwide — and its impact incalculable. Decades after publication, the book remains a defining expression of that most American of dreams — to never grow up.

J.D. Salinger, reclusive literary giant who wrote 'Catcher in the Rye,' dead at age 91

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai..._in_the_rye_dead_at_age_91.html#ixzz0dvvwfzqE

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Hate to say it, but it didn't dawn on me that he was even still alive.

Bummer. But hey, 91 years is a good run!

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
The Catcher in the Rye changed my life and made me who I am more than my parents or society. RIP J.D. Salinger, you were my first true hero.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The Catcher in the Rye changed my life and made me who I am more than my parents or society. RIP J.D. Salinger, you were my first true hero.

I sincerely hope for your sake that you, after seeing what a pathetic whiner Holden is, changed your life for the better (in other words, turned towards an opposite direction).

I've always disliked Catcher in the Rye, and as I was reading it I constantly wanted to smack Holden on the head and tell him to man up.

And no I wasn't a "wise" adult when I read it - I was in the 9th grade, as well.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I sincerely hope for your sake that you, after seeing what a pathetic whiner Holden is, changed your life for the better (in other words, turned towards an opposite direction).

I've always disliked Catcher in the Rye, and as I was reading it I constantly wanted to smack Holden on the head and tell him to man up.

And no I wasn't a "wise" adult when I read it - I was in the 9th grade, as well.

As it happens, that was precisely my reaction as well when I read Catcher in the Rye, and friends for whom Salinger/Holden were heroes on the plinth of the soul used to stare incredulously when I offered this response. Subsequently, I put it down to the fact that I may have read it way too late, when I was in my mid twenties, rather than during my alienated teen years, but your comment makes me wonder if that would have been my response would have been the same had I read it earlier. However, it always struck me as one of those books you have to read at a certain age for it to hit the zeitgeist factor fully.

Cheers

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I read it in 10th grade, or maybe 11th.... Holden Caufield is a jackass, but that doesn't stop him from experiencing moments of beauty. I think it's a great novel. It's hardly inspirational, but it's still a great novel.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Is it bad that I've never heard of the book Catcher in the Rye?

Probably :p

I loved Catcher in the Rye when I was 15. My mum told me she never understood it which spoke volumes to me.

We still don't really understand each other.

I tend not to reread it though. I don't want to start thinking like that book again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.