Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
What options are out there for mac sound cards? Is there any X support?

I can't seem to find much information. Thanks for any help.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
you are not alone in your quest for an OSX soundcard

The Sound Blaster one is for only OS 9 and it basically sucks unless you plan on buying a $50 4.1 system.

I have not found one that has full 5.1 support for OSX that sells for a resonable price ($150 or less)

If you find anything please post it with a link, im sure a whole bunch of us in here are waiting to get our hands on a nice OSX soundcard

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
yeah once again it sucks that you can easily get a 5.1 soundcard for under a $100 and with a mac you have to wait until creative or whatever company catches up with the latest Mac OS

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The SoundBlaster card would be reasonably okay even though it only supports their four point sound matrix.

With Jaguar and CoreAudio looking so good, maybe they'll finish Mac OS X drivers soon and follow them with a new 5.1 card...6 months after I buy the current one. :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
I hate to post a reply to my own thread, but it may be of some use.

The German Company Terratec, makes several 24bit/96KHz 5.1 surround cards. The one that interested me came without the $100 5.25" breakout box. It has support for both digital and analog surround, and pledged OS 9 and X drivers by the end of August.

DMX6fireLT costs $150.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Who needs a toy "gaming and home entertainment" card when OS X supports as many outputs as you've got, once Jaguar is out coreaudio is fully implemented.

That means you just need to add any multi output card and the OS will handle all the channels. In thoery at least. There's better cards than the sub £200 PC toys.

I'm sure surround sound at an OS level with coreaudio would be a possibility and there's loads of PRO quality cards and firewire audio I/O systems already.

Now apple have bought eMagic they might even provide a USB or Firewire add on for the outputs.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by barkmonster
There's better cards than the sub £200 PC toys.

I'm sure surround sound at an OS level with coreaudio would be a possibility and there's loads of PRO quality cards and firewire audio I/O systems already.
Are they compatible w/OS X?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
M-audio has a few including a new product called sonica which i think you hook up thru USB and it outputs to your 5.1 reciever great for dvd and games
MOTU also has beta drivers for there 828 firewire based unit. I am waiting for OSX drivers for emagics audiowerk and yamaha's dspfactory but i am not holding my breath

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MacMaster

Um...Where does it say that?:confused:
It's not in the USA press releases, it's in the German press releases. Translated here using Google:

TerraTec: "4G Sound" maps with Mac drivers

The largest German sound and audio map manufacturer its prominent position will continue to develop TerraTec electronics both in the professional audio market and in the Comsumer Soundmarkt. Starting from autumn all TerraTec boards, which have 24Bit/96kHz-Technologie (4G sound), with drivers for the Apple operating systems OS 9 and OS X are delivered. Customers, who already have 4G sound products, can downloaden the drivers naturally free of charge from the TerraTec Website.

All 4G sound maps of TerraTec has the high performance EMS engine chip. This applies to boards of sound of entry level just like for professional Studio Audiokarten. All support the Macintosh platforms OS 9 and OS X starting from summer: the sound systems EWX 24/96, DMX 6fire 24/96, DMX 6fire LT, the audio systems EWS88 MT and EWS88 D as well as EMS MIC 2 and EMS MIC 8. Thus TerraTec fulfills customer's requests, which had demanded high performance sound options also for the Apple world.

TerraTec introduced the quality label "4G sound", in order to refer customers to the achievement differences to the audio range. It is the most important development for the next years. With clay/tone photographs in compromiseless 24Bit/96kHz dissolution sound is represented more dynamically and more finely digitally today than ever before. 4G sound describes beyond that also the standard data rate for DVD audio with 24 bits and 96 kHz. It will replace the today's CD standard (16Bit/44,1 kHz) in foreseeable time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.