Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super_Saxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
Langhorne, PA
Hey,

With the unveiling of the iPad, I immediately started thinking if it might someday have a purpose or use in the audio world. Any thoughts?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Sure it could. Although it is essentially an enlarged iPod touch, and runs much the same software. So you can expect more of the same.

iPhone/iPod touch music apps can be a bit cramped and fiddly to use, but the iPad will deal with that quite nicely. Also, TouchOSC is already an excellent controller, which im sure will be even better on an iPad.
( http://hexler.net/software/touchosc )

Im not sure you'll be seeing any full featured DAW's for it though..

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
On my iPhone I have Beatmaker, which is actually a pretty fun sequencer, Proremote, which let's me control Logic remotely, and I'm waiting for Akai to release their synthstation app.

There are a ton of ways this thing could be used for music. It's just up to devs to make it happen. IE there's no reason why the Korg Kascillator couldn't be ported to the iPad

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey,

With the unveiling of the iPad, I immediately started thinking if it might someday have a purpose or use in the audio world. Any thoughts?

1) It would make a nice control surface. You could move sliders with your fingers. The wireless interface would let you walk out and listen to some PA speakers while yuo adjust EQ Basically use it as a wireless remote for many existing apps.

2) Print music notation for a sheet music library. But I'd have to figure a way to get the signal from a page-turn pedal into the iPad.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
and I'm waiting for Akai to release their synthstation app.

A digital version of the Akai APC 40 for Ableton Live would be the bee's knees!

I think the iPad would fit perfectly into a pro audio environment if there is enough support from the developers. Digital controllers, stripped-down on-the-road DAWs for quick jam and idea sessions. Knobs, sliders, buttons - hell, you could even come up with accelerometer-based controllers for live performances.

goldenpiggy

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Gurnee, IL
I'm sure VNC client will be available for it (if it doesn't already run VNC for iPhone), so you can "netmeeting" into another computer to control it remotely. Since the iPad is silent, you can locate your DAW machine with fans and hard drives further away.

For live sound, I imagine you can VNC into a machine hooked up to a Driverack or ethernet-equipped amps, walk around the venue and adjust things without being behind the console, without needing a long ethernet cable.

Matt Gnarly

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
A more robust Beatmaker program would be really nice, something that could actually rival the MPC series. Also, the iPad + touchosc would rival a Lemur at half the cost, you can design virtually any OSC/midi (with Osculator) controller with the TouchOSC editor. A Korg Kaoss pad or Kaossilator would be pretty cool to see, the only problem I can see is the lack of ports on the iPad, I can see it as a better midi controller than full fledged music making device, but I'm sure it'll be plenty capable of some digital music creation (the lack of ports would make it difficult to do any actual recording)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.