PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware: Car Bought at Police Auction Lands Driver in Jail

mscriv
Jan 28, 2010, 02:34 PM
A seized car bought at a police auction has landed the new driver in jail on drug charges, according to the driver. Last September, Nancy Manchaca bought her 22-year-old son, Manuel Coronado, a car at a police auction so that he could get to and from class. "He's a college student. So, you know, I help him out as much as I can, help him get a car so that he can go to school," said Manchaca.

Coronado was driving the car on Friday when he had a blowout and crashed into a truck along state Highway 121. The collison ruptured the dashboard and, much to Coronado's surprise, out popped 21 individually-wrapped bags of heroin. :eek:

When officers arrived at the scene of the crash, Coronado was arrested on a charge of drug possession with the intent to distribute. He was later released after his mother posted a $20,000 bail.

"As soon as they arrested me, they just threw me right in the car and I had, after that, no say so," said Coronado. Coronado said he had no idea there were drugs in the car and believes whoever owned the vehicle before it was seized had stored the drugs in the dashboard.

A likely story that the Fort Worth police agree is plausible. Officials with the department said they visually inspect every seized car before the cars go to auction, but acknowledge that if the drugs are hidden well enough they could go undiscovered.

"We didn't think about searching the car since we bought it at the police impound," said Manchaca.

Full Story (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Buyer-Beware-Car-Bought-at-Police-Auction-Lands-Driver-in-Jail-82603292.html)

Talk about wrong place wrong time... :(

"No Mr. Officer those aren't my drugs... um... you're not going to believe this, but they're actually... yours!"

pukifloyd
Jan 28, 2010, 05:48 PM
Sad...i hope he gets away with this soon...

localoid
Jan 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
That news report sounds like the first 5 minutes of a future episode of "Lie to Me"...

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2010, 10:02 PM
Sad...i hope he gets away with this soon...

You make it sound like they really are his drugs. :p

leomac08
Jan 28, 2010, 10:58 PM
and it makes you wonder if police officers ever touch "evidence"????
:p

GSMiller
Jan 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
I like how they assume "with the intent to distribute"

It's not like they caught him in the act of selling it. How do they know he didn't have a nasty little habit and was going to keep it all for himself?

mscriv
Jan 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
^^^ I'm no lawyer but I believe "intent to distribute" is added to a drug possession charge based on set amounts depending on the type of drug. For example, up to 5 grams of drug X is a possession charge, but anything over 5 grams is possession with intent to distribute. I know there are some legal experts around here, maybe one of them can weigh in on the matter.

mac 2005
Jan 29, 2010, 01:17 PM
I like how they assume "with the intent to distribute"

It's not like they caught him in the act of selling it. How do they know he didn't have a nasty little habit and was going to keep it all for himself?

Individually wrapped AND stashed behind the dashboard?

Consultant
Jan 29, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hum someone didn't check the tires.

^^^ I'm no lawyer but I believe "intent to distribute" is added to a drug possession charge based on set amounts depending on the type of drug. For example, up to 5 grams of drug X is a possession charge, but anything over 5 grams is possession with intent to distribute. I know there are some legal experts around here, maybe one of them can weigh in on the matter.

I am not an expert at that, but that's typically how it works.

If you have over certain amount then it's intent to distribute, because you can't consume all of it in a reasonable amount of time.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 29, 2010, 02:30 PM
It depends. Legally I am guessing they could charge and make it stick to him and the police are obligated to arrest him for it which they did.

The polices job is not to be judge/jury in the case. It had a lot of evidence on hand against him. Now the DA has the room to drop the charges because of other evidance and I willing to bet the DA is going to drop them because there is a lot of stuff supporting the guys claim.

It was bought at a police auction and I willing to bet it was taken from a drug dealer. It was hidden pretty damn well and not a place the police might of look since it would mean the cops would of had to take apart the car. They looked in all the normal spots but under the dash I have to say is pretty good idea to hide something.

mscriv
Jan 29, 2010, 03:05 PM
I just think this is the perfect story for a sitcom episode. Could you imagine this on Seinfeld happening to George or Kramer. That would have been hysterical!!! :D

cantthinkofone
Jan 29, 2010, 03:20 PM
Well dang, to bad he didn't know about them before the crash, could have bought some good tires :p

GFLPraxis
Jan 30, 2010, 12:44 PM
First thought is that it's a terrible mistake to have happen.

Second thought is that, if he actually WAS selling drugs, it's a pretty good cover story. There's no way to prove it wasn't in the car at the time of the auction.

Schtumple
Feb 2, 2010, 07:35 AM
Hope his mum get's that $20,000 back too, that's ridiculous, it was obviously a result of poor police work, now this kid is paying the price.

ucfgrad93
Feb 2, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hopefully it all works out for the mother and son.