Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUsers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Hi all,
I’m experiencing a strange problem. I normally use headphones (Bose QuickComfort2 or Sennheiser HD477) when I compose and that time the composition sounds great, really impressive. But when I connect external speakers (I use my Bose LifeStyle 25) that sounds so bad it looks like a 10 years old cassette is being played; doesn’t matter I play it directly from GB or the exported track from iTunes. I burnt a CD of my compositions from iTunes, no joy, got the same result. Any idea, how to fix that; how can I make the final track more lively?

Thanks in advance!!!!

thepannist

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Headphones are not accurate for mixing. If you want to create great mixes, you have to go with a pair of studio monitors. If that is just not an option for you, as the expense can be great), it is a good idea to burn onto a cd, then play that on your home or car stereo. Then notice what you don't like about it, change the mix, and try again. It is a long process that involves a lot of used CDs, but it is worth a shot.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
thepannist said:
Headphones are not accurate for mixing. If you want to create great mixes, you have to go with a pair of studio monitors. If that is just not an option for you, as the expense can be great), it is a good idea to burn onto a cd, then play that on your home or car stereo. Then notice what you don't like about it, change the mix, and try again. It is a long process that involves a lot of used CDs, but it is worth a shot.

The earier (and cheaper) option is to reference your mixes against commercial releases known for their recorded quality, choose a CD that approximates the style of music you are recording, then compare your mix to the CD, swithing back and forth while you make changes to your mix, this will help you to gain a better balance regardless of the system used, although thepannist is right, headphones make lousy monitors.

If you are serious about your music, invest a couple of hundred pounds (dollars) in a low end set of monitors, Dynaudio BM5's are a good choice, alternatively, HiFi speakers are better than nothing, but are coloured.

KRK also make good small speakers. Any speaker system will be better than headphones. (Unless you happen to own Sennheisser Mastering Phones or a pair of good electrostatics)

MacUsers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Thanks to WinterMute and thepannist for replying.

Yup, I know the fact that headphones are not really for mixing; I’m considering to invest (actually pounds) for a pair of monitoring speakers. I’m just a home user; music is my bobby -just to let you know, so what should be the appropriate for me – active or passive speakers? Meanwhile another questions: is “exporting to iTunes and burn the CD from there” enough for CD recording or I need to something else to get good sound off the CD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.