PDA

View Full Version : Any idea on how to remove water cooling system in g5 2004?

xzerograv3
Jan 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
So someone gave me a Power Mac G5 2004 June.
Fourty bucks. Sweet deal right?
Checked it out, all parts are intact besides harddrive. Plugged it in for kicks. Not even the fans turn on. (whatever, i'll just gut it and put my pc in it)
apparently, the waterblock leaked and probably hit the mobo or psu.
anyways, is there a possability of the waterblock/cooler system to be removed?
any specific guides or something?

And i apologize if this in the wrong section. First time being here.:confused:

rickvanr
Jan 29, 2010, 12:13 AM
Is there visible leaked coolant?

If there is, call Apple!

I had my G5 bust a leak, they attempted to repair my machine, free of charge. The repair didn't work, it still wouldn't boot. So they replaced it with a brand new, free of charge Mac Pro 8-core 2.93GHz.

alphaod
Jan 29, 2010, 11:39 AM
I had my G5 bust a leak, they attempted to repair my machine, free of charge. The repair didn't work, it still wouldn't boot. So they replaced it with a brand new, free of charge Mac Pro 8-core 2.93GHz.

Sweet jesus… might have to buy myself a G5!

pukifloyd
Jan 29, 2010, 11:58 AM
Is there visible leaked coolant?

If there is, call Apple!

:eek::eek:
really? a G5 replaced with an eight-core mac pro!?!@$!

rickvanr
Jan 29, 2010, 12:46 PM
:eek::eek:
really? a G5 replaced with an eight-core mac pro!?!@$!

Dual 2.7 G5 replaced with 8 x 2.93, 2 x 640GB, 8GB RAM (
4 x 2), Airport, 4 x GT120s. Absolutely loaded, over $7500. My top end G5 AND 23 Cinema display didn't cost that much brand new. Pretty good deal for an almost 5 year old machine. Now I can run SL too ;-)

So OP, hope for the best (coolant leak) and call Apple!

300D
Jan 30, 2010, 06:56 AM
If there is, call Apple!

And you'll get jack squat out of them.

Even the newest G5 is 4 years old now, WELL past the 90 day warranty, and Applecare has expired for all the late-05 models.

Apple has no legal obligation to give you anything, especially since you're not the original owner.

rickvanr
Jan 31, 2010, 07:34 AM
And you'll get jack squat out of them.

Even the newest G5 is 4 years old now, WELL past the 90 day warranty, and Applecare has expired for all the late-05 models.

Apple has no legal obligation to give you anything, especially since you're not the original owner.

Google around. Apple is repairing and/or replacing all liquid cooling machines with coolant leaks. Any other problem you're SOL.

I have a brand new mac pro sitting on my desk to prove you wrong.

300D
Jan 31, 2010, 08:05 AM
Apple is repairing and/or replacing all liquid cooling machines with coolant leaks.
Only late-05 models with applecare.

Transporteur
Jan 31, 2010, 08:08 AM
Only late-05 models with applecare.

Apparently not.
Late '05 models don't have a watercooling system, except for the Quad System.

rickvanr's system was a 2.7GHz model, hence no late '05 and definitely out of AC.

300D
Jan 31, 2010, 09:06 AM
Apparently not.
Late '05 models don't have a watercooling system, except for the Quad System.

Which are the only ones being replaced by Apple.

Transporteur
Jan 31, 2010, 09:11 AM
Which are the only ones being replaced by Apple.

This might come unexpected for you now, but read carefully!

Dual 2.7 G5 replaced with 8 x 2.93, 2 x 640GB, 8GB RAM.....

300D
Jan 31, 2010, 09:20 AM
This might come unexpected for you now, but read carefully!
Not really. It proves somebody screwed Apple out of a lot of money for something they didn't owe you.

rickvanr
Jan 31, 2010, 04:21 PM
Not really. It proves somebody screwed Apple out of a lot of money for something they didn't owe you.

Umm, how do you figure that?

300D
Jan 31, 2010, 11:47 PM
Not under warranty + no recall = no obligation to give you a $4,000 machine. Apple is a business, not a charity.

fox10078
Feb 1, 2010, 12:03 AM
Well Obviously they didn't think that. Now did they? I personally think your just a bit envious that he got a 5G+ machine. Though I'm too You lucky Bastard :D

300D
Feb 1, 2010, 12:07 AM
Well Obviously they didn't think that. Now did they?

Not really. It means he found someone with enough inside info to work the system to their advantage.

seisend
Feb 1, 2010, 03:50 AM
Why should Apple replace an old g5 without warranty with a brand new 8 core system. Something is wrong or hidden on one side of both parties.

300D
Feb 1, 2010, 04:11 AM
Something is wrong or hidden on one side of both parties.

Finally, somebody else put 2+2 together. :D

peskaa
Feb 1, 2010, 04:19 AM
Why should Apple replace an old g5 without warranty with a brand new 8 core system. Something is wrong or hidden on one side of both parties.

Because they used a faulty cooling system. Leaking G5s are well-known for being serviced out of warranty, and when Apple don't have the parts in stock they just give you a new machine.

300D
Feb 1, 2010, 04:23 AM
Because they used a faulty cooling system.

Ah, so a system lasting the duration of the warranty is "faulty"?

OllyW
Feb 1, 2010, 04:29 AM
Apple have repaired or replaced many out of warranty G5's with coolant leaks.

You should read this (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html).

300D
Feb 1, 2010, 04:36 AM
Apple have repaired or replaced many out of warranty G5's with coolant leaks.
Thats an extremely small percentage of actual units sold.

peskaa
Feb 1, 2010, 04:45 AM
Ah, so a system lasting the duration of the warranty is "faulty"?

According to UK law, yes.

Here, goods have to be fit for purpose for up to SIX years after purchase. If they fail in that time, and it can be shown to be a manufacturing issue, then they have a legal obligation to repair or replace.

Now, the Delphi cooling systems were warrantied by Delphi for 2 years. They started failing anything from 2-3 years, ie: after their warranty period, sometimes within AppleCare and sometimes outside of AppleCare.

Outside of AppleCare, Apple still have to repair and replace because they fitted a faulty component that would only last a few years at best, due to the rubber seals degrading. People don't expect a machine to work for three years and then break down.

I've seen whole computer labs of 20+ PowerMac G5s spring coolant leaks, resulting in Apple replacing the entire lot.

OllyW
Feb 1, 2010, 04:46 AM
Thats an extremely small percentage of actual units sold.

It's only the people who have posted on that site, there are probably many more who have not posted on the net.

Apple often give out of warranty service in cases like this. They are currently replacing Time Capsules (http://timecapsuledead.org/) which are failing around the 18 month mark.

seisend
Feb 1, 2010, 04:48 AM
Then basically what everyone should do who wants a new Mac Pro for the best deal, is buying a G5 Water cooled version first. Make sure that the water leaks and get your self a Mac Pro 8core 2.93Ghz for maybe around 100 bugs total. Cool.

peskaa
Feb 1, 2010, 04:51 AM
Then basically what everyone should do who wants a new Mac Pro for the best deal, is buying a G5 Water cooled version first. Make sure that the water leaks and get your self a Mac Pro 8core 2.93Ghz for maybe around 100 bugs total. Cool.

That person got lucky. Most of the replacements have been for Quads, or they got a free repair.

300D
Feb 1, 2010, 05:37 AM
According to UK law, yes.

Well good for all 5 of them.

which are failing around the 18 month mark.
Not comparable. They are still in production and covered under applecare (for those that bought it).

OllyW
Feb 1, 2010, 05:41 AM
Not comparable. They are still in production and covered under applecare (for those that bought it).

No, click on the link. It shows they are replacing out of warranty Time Capsules.

If you don't believe it, there are MacRumors members (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=507488) who have had replacements when the 12 month warranty has expired.

Transporteur
Feb 1, 2010, 08:47 AM
The faulty 8600m GT in the MacBooks is another example of Apple replacing / repairing computers that are out of warranty.

rickvanr
Feb 1, 2010, 11:29 AM
I was given a free repair first. I was fine with that, because my G5 still was plenty fast for what I used it for. The repair was unsuccessful, and Apple offered to replace it for a 'like' machine.

I was not forceful in any way with Apple.

My G5 was top of the line at the time of purchase, so they replaced it with a top of the line machine from now. I wasn't going to talk them into giving me a lesser machine, I just went along with it.