Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mel2trib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I have a new aluminum unibody macbook. I'd like to watch TV shows or movies from the internet on my HDTV. Got the appropriate adapters but my TV only displays my wallpaper, not the video I'm watching on my laptop. :confused: This is my first venture into the Mac world and all of my old Windows instincts aren't helping!

Thanks!

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
I have a new aluminum unibody macbook. I'd like to watch TV shows or movies from the internet on my HDTV. Got the appropriate adapters but my TV only displays my wallpaper, not the video I'm watching on my laptop. :confused: This is my first venture into the Mac world and all of my old Windows instincts aren't helping!

Thanks!

its prob extending the desktop. move video player to screen by dragging it

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
If you want your desktop as-is on the TV, you'll need to change to "mirror" mode in display properties. The downside here is that the TV will be forced to use 1280x800 since that's your internal panel's resolution.

As said above, move your video playing window to the right and it'll show up on the TV as it's an extended desktop. If you want to play fullscreen saved files to the TV, you can use VLC Player and set the TV as the fullscreen device and then enter fullscreen mode.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
System Preferences --> Displays

On the "Arrangement" tab click, "Mirror Displays".

Edit: 1 minute too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.