Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Hmmmm

Cult, fanatical, groups, evangelist, good news.......Apple is a religion!

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
And as history has proved, religion is always a good thing. Right? :rolleyes:

Well, not always....LoL

Back to the documentary...interesting info about the gap between Mac user groups, older mac users and the current Apple empire.

theydonotmove

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York, NY
i found it very interesting when they talked about how there are the devoted users since the 80's and the trendy users since the iMac came out.

It's pretty sad actually. These people held onto their macs tenaciously just to be ignored once the Mac became a premium trendy computer for the upper crust. Apple seems to care very little about the people who kept them in business when they had less than 2% market share.

Nowadays it seems the only people getting macs are serious fanboys, computer illiterate people, and rich kids who think graduating high school and going to college is just an excuse to get their parents to buy them a mac.

sad.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
i found it very interesting when they talked about how there are the devoted users since the 80's and the trendy users since the iMac came out.

sad.
You may rely on TV to tell you want Mac owners are like, but some of us know from life experience. I have been a Mac user since 1989 and a Mac owner since 1990. Your description of Mac owners does not describe me. Nor does it describe anyone Mac owner that I know.

One of the Christian definitions of faith goes like this:

Substance of things hoped for; evidence of things not seen.

People like you feel better about yourselves by putting down Mac owners. [It is odd that you have joined a Mac fan forum to do so.] At any rate, this Mac owner has used other computers including the IBM S/360, IBM S/370, IBM S/3033, IBM S/390, IBM 5100, Radio Shack Model I, Radio Shack Model II, Cromenco, Timex/Sinclair, HP 85, and too many IBM PC clones to count. However, I spend my money on Macs.

I don't spend my money based on religious fervor. I spend my money on the computers that make my life and job better. This is the exact opposite of the Christian definition of faith. My choice of Mac is based not on hope, but on real world experience. It is based not on some unseen mystery. It is based on the things that I see every day.

Run along now. Try to feel good about yourself by convincing yourself that the people who actually enjoy owning and using their computers are somehow crazy. And whatever you do, don't look in the mirror.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You may rely on TV to tell you want Mac owners are like, but some of us know from life experience. I have been a Mac user since 1989 and a Mac owner since 1990. Your description of Mac owners does not describe me. Nor does it describe anyone Mac owner that I know.

People like you feel better about yourselves by putting down Mac owners. [It is odd that you have joined a Mac fan forum to do so.] At any rate, this Mac owner has used other computers including the IBM S/360, IBM S/370, IBM S/3033, IBM S/390, IBM 5100, Radio Shack Model I, Radio Shack Model II, Cromenco, Timex/Sinclair, HP 85, and too many IBM PC clones to count. However, I spend my money on Macs.

I don't spend my money based on religious fervor. I spend my money on the computers that make my life and job better. This is the exact opposite of the Christian definition of faith. My choice of Mac is based not on hope, but on real world experience. It is based not on some unseen mystery. It is based on the things that I see every day.

Run along now. Try to feel good about yourself by convincing yourself that the people who actually enjoy owning and using their computers are somehow crazy. And whatever you do, don't look in the mirror.

+1

I'm a Mac user because my experiences with Macs >>>>>>>>>> my experiences with Windows-based computers.

I don't pray to my Mac. I don't bow to Steve Jobs. I use a Mac because it makes my life easier, and my computer experience better.

theydonotmove

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York, NY

i didn't put down any mac users. I was expressing disapproval of the way Apple has treated it's most devoted customers as depicted in the movie.

I'm planing on buying a mac soon, that is why i joined this forum, not to troll it. I was raised on macs, my family had to switch because my parents jobs required them to run windows software in the house, and macs weren't intel yet.

I think there are a fair number of people, however, who buy macs because they are trendy, or they use indie songs in their adds, or any other number of reasons unrelated to the capabilities of the computer.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
i didn't put down any mac users. I was expressing disapproval of the way Apple has treated it's most devoted customers as depicted in the movie.

Denials to the contrary notwithstanding, you did put down Mac users. The word sad features prominently in your post. The thing that you need to learn is that movies are entertainment. Movie makers take artistic license.

I used a Mac (Mac SE) a year before I purchased my first Mac (Mac IIcx). I have been thoroughly satisfied with each and every one of my Macs. I have not seen your documentary. After reading the nonsensical lessons that you learned from it, I have no desire to do so. My position is that Apple owes me a dollar's worth of value for each dollar that I pay. Apple has done that. I don't need Apple to employees over to watch the game with me, to mow my lawn, or to send me birthday cards.

Were there people who felt that they deserved special treatment because they purchased Apple products during the lean years? I am sure that there were. However, that does not mean that they deserved special treatment. Most pre-1998 Apple customers agree. From what I see, the majority of the customers who feel that they deserve special treatment are those former Windows users who took to heart Apple's "switcher" campaign. There are still some switchers who believe that Apple should pre-chew their food.

I am not an Apple fan; I am an extremely satisfied Apple customer and user. My favorite Apple ad campaign used the tagline:

The power to be your best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.