Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
I decided to buy some of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to see if they could do anything about the nice layer of dirt that embeds itself on Mac cases over time.

They do a very, very good job at removing the grime and crap from cases (used it on two StyleWriters and three Macs) brought all of them back to a nice gray - for the most part. It doesn't seem to correct the yellowing that happens to Macs after like 10 years. But it still does a good job of making them look pretty.

I got a pack of 4 for about 9$ Canadian, but I don't know how long each one will last, I mean, this one looks totally dead after just a few machines.

I don't like the idea of paying like, $50 to get all my 50 Macs cleaned (plus their keyboards, mice and monitors.)

It says don't do it on anything super smooth or glossy, such as the plastics on newer Macs. I didn't test it, but I don't want to find out.

Has any one else tried them on their Macs?

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
I use them to clean my iBook, works perfectly great for getting the dirt off the wrist area. Didn't say anything on the pack about not using them on smooth or glossy surfaces so I cleaned the outside of my iBook too, didn't do any damage.

I think you got fleeced though, I bought a pack of eight for about AU$2-3. I'm not absolutely certain they're the same product as the North American version but they look the same.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Finiksa said:
I use them to clean my iBook, works perfectly great for getting the dirt off the wrist area. Didn't say anything on the pack about not using them on smooth or glossy surfaces so I cleaned the outside of my iBook too, didn't do any damage.

I think you got fleeced though, I bought a pack of eight for about AU$2-3. I'm not absolutely certain they're the same product as the North American version but they look the same.

From package:

Not recommended for use on polished/glossy, or on finishes that are brushed, satin or dark.

I got them from a food store, that I'm sure is twice the cost of somewhere else, I just didn't want to walk very far. haha

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Forced Perfect said:
From package:

Not recommended for use on polished/glossy, or on finishes that are brushed, satin or dark.

Interesting I was wrong, I just checked the package again and mine says "Not for use on … or highly polished surfaces as trapped dirt may scratch."

My iBook like most is already covered with lots of tiny scratches anyway so I don't think using Magic Eraser is much of a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.