Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
Just wondering if anyone has hard any talk of Xcode itself (perhaps in a simplified form) coming to the iPad to allow mobile development/testing completely self contained within the device itself?

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
Unfortunately that link is redirecting to the devforums start page with a login link. the login link is then just redirecting back to the start page.

Would you be so kind as to summarise?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Basically don't hold your breath.

You could always use Jaadu or VNC.

Keep in mind that the iPad is a larger iPhone/iPod touch. It runs OS X and not Mac OS X.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Uhh, it runs iPhone OS. OS X is short for Mac OS X. :rolleyes:

Oh, you know what I meant :D.

And isn't OS X technically a shortened version of both? Thought I read somewhere that they're just calling both OS X. So OS X for iPhone and OS X for Macintosh :O.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Oh, you know what I meant :D.

And isn't OS X technically a shortened version of both? Thought I read somewhere that they're just calling both OS X. So OS X for iPhone and OS X for Macintosh :O.

No, the X is specific to the Mac OS. There is no 'X' in the official name of iPhone OS.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon, but eventually it'll happen...when iPhone OS (which needs renaming) replaces "desktop" OS X. Technically, it doesn't seem there's any reason why it couldn't happen, and be usable too (whether it's ideal is another matter). But for now it definitely seems to go against what Apple is trying to establish the iPad as being, a simplified consumer device meant for consuming instead of producing. Still, they did port iWork (seemingly pretty well) and certainly many third-party apps will find ways to make the iPad quite productive, so who knows. I would love to have Xcode on an iPad, maybe not as my primary development environment, but as a secondary one it'd be great.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury
Well thanks to dejo I can finally get into the developer forums... Despite being a registered iPhone developer and all privileges it affords I have been unable to get into the developer forums via the iPhone dev site. Thankfully the link he posted has gotten me around whatever bug is causing the perpetual looping on the login page.

Thanks dejo :)

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
In the beginning it was OS X or OS X iPhone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS

Steve Jobs, when introducing the original iPhone, stated that it runs "Mac OS," creating rampant speculation on exactly what he meant. Since then, "Mac OS X" seems to refer to the computer (desktop and laptop) OS, with "Mac OS" being regulated to the iPod touch, iPhone, and now the iPad.

In this case, Wikipedia is wrong. Download the original iPhone announcement to verify the above, but I'd rather listen to Steve Jobs than depend on someone creating a Wikipedia entry. To my knowledge, neither Steve Jobs or Apple has ever referenced iPhone OS as either OS X or OS X iPhone. Not even on the developer's site is it referenced as such.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
To my knowledge, neither Steve Jobs or Apple has ever referenced iPhone OS as either OS X or OS X iPhone. Not even on the developer's site is it referenced as such.
At a D: All Things Digital conference, Steve Jobs was quoted as saying "It's real Safari, real OS X."

Linky

This was way before the SDK was released and, I think, by that time it had become known simply as iPhone OS.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
No, he didn't. He stated it ran "OSX". The "Mac" part is what distinguished it from the desktop OS.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/

8:37 in.

Facts, checked ;)

That's not possible, as he didn't even begin to speak about the iPhone until almost 28 minutes into the keynote. I don't have speakers on this computer here at work, but I'll take another listen to it and extract out only that comment and post a link to the snippet tonight, after I get home. I distinctly remember the "Mac OS" comment and the subsequent internet question of what exactly that entailed.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
That's not possible, as he didn't even begin to speak about the iPhone until almost 28 minutes into the keynote. I don't have speakers on this computer here at work, but I'll take another listen to it and extract out only that comment and post a link to the snippet tonight, after I get home. I distinctly remember the "Mac OS" comment and the subsequent internet question of what exactly that entailed.

It's in the "Watch iPhone Introduction" movie, not the "Watch the Keynote Address" movie.

"... Software that's at least five years ahead of what's on any other phone. Now how do we do this? Well, we start with a strong foundation. IPhone runs Oh Ess Ten. <applause> Now why would we wanna run such a sophisticated operating system on a mobile device? Well, because it's got everything we need. ..."​

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
It's in the "Watch iPhone Introduction" movie, not the "Watch the Keynote Address" movie.

"... Software that's at least five years ahead of what's on any other phone. Now how do we do this? Well, we start with a strong foundation. IPhone runs Oh Ess Ten. <applause> Now why would we wanna run such a sophisticated operating system on a mobile device? Well, because it's got everything we need. ..."​

That same quote can be found starting at around the 34:51 mark of the keynote video.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Aloha everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I stand corrected, and do humbly beg your forgiveness. My memory is somewhat fuzzy, but Steve Jobs said "OS X", not "Mac OS X," which caused the OS questions I referenced. That being said, I haven't seen it referenced as "OS X iPhone" anywhere.

Actually I head another interesting rumor today on the iPhone Live podcast. They are thinking that the iPhone OS will eventually make its way to the desktop, although I don't see how that would work, unless they did a complete rewrite of the iTunes app. That would make it very interesting, as Apple would have to provide for direct read and write to the iTunes app. Anyway, I'm just throwing it out there - it's a rumor from a podcast.

Once again, thanks for the replies. I was wrong in my earlier recollection and appreciate the replies with correction.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
As a developer who looks at the OS from the inside, from the APIs, one can see parts of the mobile/iPhone OS X technology migrating to the desktop OS X, and vice versa. The "guts" are becoming very similar, with the main differences being the UI, and the app security policies.

Perhaps the UI layers will eventually merge, where apps have a switch to select between a mobile touch UI or a mouse/keyboard desktop UI.

NToutsider

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I think there maybe a deference iOS and osX

Also I'm not sure about coding, but I got and app for development of UI and stuff tie them together and test I my iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Just wondering if anyone has hard any talk of Xcode itself (perhaps in a simplified form) coming to the iPad to allow mobile development/testing completely self contained within the device itself?

Not likely to ever happen. Yes, it would be neat, but what market would this appeal to? And how could this market justify the huge use of resources needed to develop the product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.