Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgemann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nikon D300 - 7 image hand held bracketing, Adobe Lightroom and Photomatix Pro.

http://nikondp.com/2010/01/hdr-cambodia-angkor-thom/

at-northgate-01-6.jpg

Photo by George Mann

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Its too much, I don't like HDR's that do not look "real" anymore :rolleyes:

I have to agree. Perhaps you would have been better off using less exposures being that it was hand held. The alignment looks a little blurry at the top left in addition to it being over done.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I'm going to be harsher because I want people to be able to tell me the truth about my work too. Your image is HORRIBLE. I hope you have the original files. I bet the 0EV image, with maybe a little bit of tweaking in Photoshop, is a really cool picture. I love the scene. But seriously, your HDR picture is terrible and the perfect example of everything wrong with HDR.

Yes, I said it... Please take it constructively and don't be offended.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think the novelty of cartoonish HDR effects wore off on most people years ago. If you're going to push things that far, it's best to have an image that seems conceptually in sync with the technique. I've seen some edgy urban images that have worked well with it--graffiti, neon signs, Times Square madness--that kind of thing. Otherwise, HDR seems to work best if it's used merely to gain more dynamic range in high-contrast scenes inconspicuously.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
I think the novelty of cartoonish HDR effects wore off on most people years ago. If you're going to push things that far, it's best to have an image that seems conceptually in sync with the technique. I've seen some edgy urban images that have worked well with it--graffiti, neon signs, Times Square madness--that kind of thing. Otherwise, HDR seems to work best if it's used merely to gain more dynamic range in high-contrast scenes inconspicuously.

I agree, which is why I used it for this shot below. Granted, this was/is my first attempt at the technique and I'm not saying it's even that good, but a beach scene like this at 0EV just won't look great through the camera's eye. You will lose detail due to the very bright sun and heavy shadows. I tried finding a happy medium between the two.
4304056888_c78633439f.jpg

georgemann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Interesting comments, thank you, I am not offended at all. Oddly enough though, I am much closer to representing the "real" colors of that scene, at that moment, then any of you seem to realize. The HDR adjustments are actually fairly conservative and the colors are more of a combination of the time of day, weather condition (light breaking through clouds after a brief rain storm) and the unique color of the red dirt, stones and lichen on the walls at that location.

George

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
George Mann, would you be willing to email me your 0 EV exposure? I'd just like to play with just that (even if it's a JPEG) in Photoshop and send it back to you and see which YOU prefer.

Last edited:

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
As much as I love HDR, i think there's a good time for surreal vivid effects and a bad time, you don't really want to take away from the picture but add to it.

A good non-surreal image
4296362506_2e324fd881.jpg

A little surreal imagery
4297433181_24f2528bb8.jpg

But everybody has their preferences.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I think the biggest problem in over-surreal HDR shots is the lack of any kind of solid focal point, there simply just isn't enough contrast, or the contrast is spaced over everything and you just don't know where to look. Here's my best HDR to date, 3 shots tripod.

alpine=loop=hdf-oct09.jpg

georgemann

macrumors regular
Original poster
George Mann, would you be willing to email me your 0 EV exposure? I'd just like to play with just that (even if it's a JPEG) in Photoshop and send it back to you and see which YOU prefer. If so, my email is hiskid@gmail.com

Markie, I find all the comments interesting, but no thank you, I do not wish to see my images manipulated by someone else. I would love to see the same scene interpreted by someone else though (with their own photography).

George

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It has it's place and it's neat all in itself but mind the comments above, HDR should add to and not take away.

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
I'm going to be harsher because I want people to be able to tell me the truth about my work too. Your image is HORRIBLE. I hope you have the original files. I bet the 0EV image, with maybe a little bit of tweaking in Photoshop, is a really cool picture. I love the scene. But seriously, your HDR picture is terrible and the perfect example of everything wrong with HDR.

Yes, I said it... Please take it constructively and don't be offended.

This is a little too harsh I think. It's not like the OP asked for you to rip on his photo? Or did I miss something.

I think with some tweaking in PhotoMatix this could be a pretty sweet HDR. Yep, I still think it could be a good photo as an HDR.

I'm a little skeptical of the "hand held" part though, not that it can't be done, but it sure is tough. You'd need some real fast shutter speeds and a real steady hand, especially when you change your AEB. Or can your Nikon capture 7 frames with one AEB series??

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
As much as I love HDR, i think there's a good time for surreal vivid effects and a bad time, you don't really want to take away from the picture but add to it.

A good non-surreal image
4296362506_2e324fd881.jpg

A little surreal imagery
4297433181_24f2528bb8.jpg

But everybody has their preferences.

I really like the flower picture! Nice job really good use of the effect!

georgemann

macrumors regular
Original poster
This is a little too harsh I think. It's not like the OP asked for you to rip on his photo? Or did I miss something.

I think with some tweaking in PhotoMatix this could be a pretty sweet HDR. Yep, I still think it could be a good photo as an HDR.

I'm a little skeptical of the "hand held" part though, not that it can't be done, but it sure is tough. You'd need some real fast shutter speeds and a real steady hand, especially when you change your AEB. Or can your Nikon capture 7 frames with one AEB series??

Thanks, but I don't mind the harsh criticism at all, it usually indicates that there is some interest and is much more welcome then apathy.

Tweaking for better results I can not argue with, the image still has a ways to go before I would hang it on a wall.

This is part of a handheld HDR series and yes the images are captured in one 7 shot AEB series (Nikon D300). Motion in these images is of course unavoidable so I am working on incorporating the motion (a sense of time, etc.) into the images.

http://nikondp.com/2010/01/hdr-cambodia-angkor-thom/

Please continue with the critiques and don't hold back the punches.

George

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
[...]I am much closer to representing the "real" colors of that scene, at that moment, then any of you seem to realize[...]

Odd, cause that image looks cartoony, and somewhat animated. Plus there is a great amount of haloing around the edges of the trees. I doubt that was present when you were shooting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.