PDA

View Full Version : Tethering the iPad on PAYG

AndyGordon
Jan 29, 2010, 01:08 PM
I am a bit disappointed that it looks like the iPad won't tether to my iPhone, and I have no intention whatsoever to take out yet another mobile phone contract to get the most out of an iPad.

Then I found this http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?mifi=1

a 3G device that creates a mobile WiFi network based on a PAYG sim, so, for 49.99 to buy it, and 10 a month for 1gb download (which is the same deal I have on my PAYG 3G USB Modem) I can connect an iPad to the internet for a one of fee, and on a PAYG deal - sounds much better than getting yet another contract.

I will get one of these things cause they sound interesting to play with, and when the iPad comes out I will definitely try it out with this.

Andy

scotty91
Jan 29, 2010, 01:28 PM
I've got one of these to go with my iPod touch, they are brilliant. I did have an iPhone on o2 but even when it was on 3G it was really slow web browsing. With this, its amazingly fast, as if I'm connected to an actual wifi hotspot.

I'm quite looking forward to getting an iPad to use it more!

Cinemagic
Jan 29, 2010, 04:24 PM
Why do you say it won't tether to your iPhone? Jailbreak the iPhone and download an app that sets up your iPhone as a wireless router. There are a few (such as PDAnet). Then connect your iPad to it just like you'd connect the iPad to any other wireless network.

LaNex
Feb 23, 2010, 05:19 AM
Just to bump this one up with a related question ---

I've been thinking of getting a mifi or similar when I get the iPad. I have a 3gs on O2 with the associated unlimited data plan but don't want to jailbreak if i can help it. I can see myself using the iPad outside a wifi area maybe once a week for about two minutes. Basically it would be to look up lyrics or chords at rehearsals, which I often do with my 3gs now, but reading them on a small screen is a tad painful for my (very crappy) eyes.

So I could do with 3g on my iPad or available to it through another device now and again, but it would take a month of sundays to use up 1gb in this very specific way. And $130 UK equivalent for something I might use once a week or so plus whatever data plan outlay to get the 3g iPad seems a touch excessive for my needs.

So my question to the mifi owners in the UK is - does the data allowance you pay for on the mifi last until you use it up, or does it cut off at the end of, say, a month ? I know you can buy a pre loaded one with 3gb or whatever that lasts three months, but what I'd really like is true payg - you buy the data, and it lasts until you use it up, however long that may take. Three's website doesn't seem to be exactly clear on this from what I can see.

greenlander
Feb 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
I am a bit disappointed that it looks like the iPad won't tether to my iPhone, and I have no intention whatsoever to take out yet another mobile phone contract to get the most out of an iPad.

You absolutely will be able to tether iPad and iPhone:

http://www.theipadguide.com/forum/ipad-hacking-and-modding/why-not-tether-iphone-ipad-w-wifi-only