Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishpaws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
The hardware:

1 brand new Panasonic HMC40 camera
1 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac desktop running OS 10.5.8
1 copy of Voltaic HD

The problem:

I am transferring the mts files from the HMC40 to .mov files w/ Voltaic. For the most part it works fine! (albeit slowly...)

However, I am repeatedly getting individual clips (about 1 for every 10 that I transfer) that seem to playback fine via the camera itself, but cause Voltaic to crash instantly (it never even gets far enough to generate a thumbnail preview in the details side-screen).

This problem is a) making me pull my hair out and b) making me want to weep tears after the money I've spent on getting a HD setup. It's like Russian roulette not know which clip is going to get screwed up.

So I went into the Console App and the screwed up clips have a "segmentation fault."

I looked this up online and see that this question has indeed been asked before; however most references seem to have work arounds that involve PCs - not macs - so they don't do me any good. :(

I should also mention that Adobe Media Encoder CS4 WILL both open AND convert these files that are causing Voltaic to crash. However, the quality of the export .mov seems to be noticeably lower quality than what I was getting through Voltaic. Weep.

So here are my questions:

a) what is causing this fault? my new expensive camera??? better not be!!
b) how the hell do I fix it? (if given clear instructions i can do a lot myself including using terminal to alter files - give me these tricks if you know them)
c) if you know of the optimal settings for using Adobe Media Encoder for best quality, please give me these too - I dont care what program I use as long as I can get the footage
d) if there are OTHER apps that are better or can internally handle these faults, tell me about them cuz I'm about over this retardation.

Please, please help a fellow nerd out. This problem is so infuriating. Thank you a million miles for ANY advice/input!

yours,
FISHPAWS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.