Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCharrúa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Montevideo, Uruguay
I recently bought a new 15"PB, 1.5GHz, and have serious audio problems trying to talk with other Skype users using the integrated speakers and mic.
The specific problem is a disturbing echo heard by the person I am talking too. Seems to be my mic is picking up his voice and returning it to him. Though I can solve it by using speakers, this problem doesn't occur neither with a 12"PB nor with 12"iBook G4.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Has the position of the microphone in the new PB's changed?

cmx08

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
i'm sorry

Mic? does the PB serie have built-in Mic? I only know that the iBook serie has.

Skype? isn't that windows or Linux based, not for Mac yet? unless you have VPC

Echo? try to place the mic as far from the speakers if you use the speakers.

if you have skype for mac beta, let me know

Jays

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2002
Earth
yes Skype beta for Mac is runing about the net (ver.0.5) works not bad, same problem here with PB 1ghz, best solution is to use a head set with mic and earphons

p.s. with my PB Ti 500mhz i do not have this problem...

webmatthijs

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
United Kingdom
???

hi,
do you have VPC, because skype only works with Windows, Linux and pocket pc.
als does a microphone work with your VPC, try testing it with that useless microphone app windows included with its versions.

no succes yet after this? i'll keep looking! :D

MacCharrúa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Montevideo, Uruguay
Jays said:
yes Skype beta for Mac is runing about the net (ver.0.5) works not bad, same problem here with PB 1ghz, best solution is to use a head set with mic and earphons

p.s. with my PB Ti 500mhz i do not have this problem...

I thought my PB could have a problem. I am, in a way, more in peace knowing you share the same problem and there is nothing wrong with my computer.

I've tried it with a 12"PB and 12"iBook G4, in both works beautifully with the integrated mic and speakers.

I suppose the position of the mic in this machines is further apart from the speakers than in the 15" and maybe the 17" PB.

I also noticed that the mic sensibility stays variable running skype, something it doesn't happen with iChat. Again, I suppose this is a software implementation to improve the audio, though it doesn't work with the 15". Hope they find a way out (delays, sensibility, etc.) I really prefer using no headphones or other external device. On the other hand, I confess that using headphones it works super! (just as with the other machines with or without them).

Re. to webmatthijs comment.
I'm using the beta Mac os X version of skype, not on VPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.