PDA

View Full Version : 1,000,000 Post Avatar Contest Now Over

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2004, 05:14 AM
As of 5:01 EST on Monday, August 23, 2004, the contest entry period is over, since MacRumors has reached its one millionth post (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/08/20040823060809.shtml). 229 avatars were entered in the contest by 78 members.

Please do not add new contest entry threads in the Contests forum or change the avatars already submitted, while the moderators select the finalists for you to vote on. Any entries added or changed from now on will be disqualified.

New threads for member voting will appear in this forum as soon as the polls are ready.

Thanks to the members who entered the contest. We hope you had fun!

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
"5:01 EST (6:01 EDT)" (from the article). Off-topic, but it's driving me insane: I'm on the east coast, and I've seen most people refer to times here using EST. But I've also seen EDT. Searching for the answer isn't as easy as I expected it to be...so anybody here know which one it is?

stoid
Aug 23, 2004, 08:33 AM
I think that EST is standard time, while EDT is daylight savings time. Could be wrong though.

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2004, 08:40 AM
Finally somebody cleared that up. Another search confirms it: http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/na/est.html Damnit. For like 10 years, I thought it was EST always being the right one. Juuuuuust great.

Er, anyways...it would have been interesting to see what would have happened with the contest if another MySQL error somehow magically disabled posting in all the forums except for the Contest one for a few weeks. It would make it more work for you guys. :D

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2004, 03:24 PM
The time zone thing bugs me too, as a matter of fact. The MacRumors news server software always shows the time in EST even when daylight savings time is in effect on the east coast. Most of the U.S. (parts of Indiana and Arizona being the exception) observe daylight savings time from around April Fool's Day through around Halloween, but the MacRumors server stubbornly sticks to standard time year-round.

The forum software is more willing to deal with time zones, showing you times in whatever time zone you set in your member profile.

Vector
Aug 23, 2004, 03:41 PM
The Indiana/Arizona thing is crazy. The first time i was in Indiana and the rest of the country changed times, i was late for my classes.

pyrotoaster
Aug 23, 2004, 04:21 PM
Timezones in Indiana are downright bizarre.
Most of the state would be in EDT now, but the northwest corner (featuring the lovely city of Gary) is in CDT in order to be in sync with Chicago. And then there are the odd ball parts that would be in standard time right now.
Well, whatever floats their boat. :rolleyes:

cb911
Aug 23, 2004, 05:28 PM
oh well... s'all over. :(

and i didn't even get my entries in. in fact i just had a couple of ideas last night lying in bed, even got up to sketch them out and planned to make them this morning, and now my worst fear has become a reality. :eek:

oh well, i'm still going to make them i guess... but good luck to all the contest entrants. :)

Doctor Q
Aug 24, 2004, 11:53 PM
The polls are open.

Vote! Vote! Vote!

medea
Aug 27, 2004, 07:09 AM
When do the polls close Dr. Q?

Veldek
Aug 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
When do the polls close Dr. Q?

Polls close Friday, August 27, 2004 at Midnight EDT.

bousozoku
Aug 27, 2004, 10:32 AM
Timezones in Indiana are downright bizarre.
Most of the state would be in EDT now, but the northwest corner (featuring the lovely city of Gary) is in CDT in order to be in sync with Chicago. And then there are the odd ball parts that would be in standard time right now.
Well, whatever floats their boat. :rolleyes:

The whole state used to change time in the 1960s. Then, only the few counties near Chicago decided to continue doing it.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 27, 2004, 10:37 AM
Sink Me!

http://yo-momma.net/forumstuff/macrumors/yo-ho-ho-momma/6d6174657921.jpg

You found me booty! Now you have braggin' rights as being a true pirate of the day!

(first one to find this gets braggin rights and can keep their pirate member name if they want - for a while - post in the Gar! thread and first post there wins with a link to this thread)

medea
Aug 27, 2004, 10:51 PM
Polls close Friday, August 27, 2004 at Midnight EDT.
Thanks, I'm eager to see all the results tomorrow.