PDA

View Full Version : Need help with broadband and AirPort Express

johnnyjibbs
Aug 23, 2004, 07:37 AM
Hi there,

I currently have a 56k dial-up connection for internet at home with two computers - a Dell 2.4GHz desktop running Windows XP and a 12" PowerBook.

I now have an AirPort Express network (with AE card for 12" PB and 54MB Belkin wireless card for Dell) and AirTunes, etc. works fine. Currently I'm dialing up to the internet on the Dell and then making Windows share the connection over 802.11g to give my PowerBook wireless internet.

Of course, this means I have to have the Dell on and connected to the inernet whenever I want to use it on my PowerBook, but I've finally convinced my parents to go broadband (only 256k mind, but it's a start). My vision was to then connect the broadband connection to the WAN port on the AirPort Express and beam the inernet 24/7 wirelessly to the two computers.

We put the order in last Friday and it should take about 2 weeks for the connection at our local telephone exchange to be sorted out and for the free ADSL modem and microfilters to arrive.

However, I've now received confirmation that the free modem is in fact an Alcatech Speedtouch USB ADSL modem. Now I'm thinking I might have to purchase even more equipment to get my wireless dream working. And this is where I need your help!

It hasn't arrived yet, and I know little about modems and routers and the like, but it sounds like it is USB-powered. While compatible with both Windows and OS X, this would again require the Dell to be on for broadband to be received, wouldn't it? I know that the USB port on AirPort Express is only designed for printers (I have mine hooked up anyway).

Does anyone own one of these USB modems and do they know if they come with an eternet port which can be plugged into AirPort Express? Or do I have to buy some kind of broadband router thing (I don't need wireless since I have AirPort Express)? Is this modem completely useless for what I need and, if so, does anyone know of a cheap ASDL modem that would connect my phone line to the AirPort Express?

I've already spent 100 on APE, 80 on an AE card and 25 on the Dell wireless adaptor - I can't really afford to spend much more!

Thanks for any help.

Matt@GT
Aug 23, 2004, 07:53 AM
I have just gone through the same thing. Bought BB with std USB modem then wanted to go wireless. I looked at the options available, and went for a Belkin router for 90 which does it all. I am sure you will need to but a new modem.

Applespider
Aug 23, 2004, 07:56 AM
No, it won't plug directly into your AE. I had one of these USB Alcatel modems plugged directly into the PB for a while - regular kernel panics.

I bought an ethernet ADSL modem instead that plugs directly into socket (as USB one would do) and then has an ethernet cable to go into AE. I got mine from adslnation.co.uk for about 60. They also do 'all-in-one' ADSL wireless modems so you could get one of those and return the AE?

Hope this helps...

PS Have you asked the broadband provider whether you can have a reduction in connection fee/monthly rental since you don't require their subsidised modem?

yinyang
Aug 23, 2004, 08:53 AM
if it's the alcatel speedtouch 530, then it does have a ethernet port, since that is the setup i'm currently on. my bro-in-law uses the usb for his win xp desktop, and i connect the ethernet port to my newly acquired airport express and connect the airport express to...! hang on! no wires!! :D :D

woo hoo!!

hope that helps!!

johnnyjibbs
Aug 23, 2004, 10:21 AM
Oh dear, it doesn't sound good! Thanks for the replies.

I guess it won't be as bad as I first thought though - the requirement now will simply be that the Dell has to be turned on (it's generally on all day anyway), as it will be "always on" as long as the Dell is switched on. I will avoid the kernal panics this way too.

I don't want to take back AirPort Express because I love AirTunes! But I don't particualarly want to spend 60-100 on a router either!

When I ordered, the choice was the USB modem + 2 microfilters, or 3 microfilters and no modem. Obviously they are subsidised by the monthly subscription, but there is no option to have nothing at a reduced rate, and I'm already getting about the best value I could find (the others were more expensive with "free modem" or even without modem and installation paid).

I guess I could give them a call and see if I could have it upgraded to an ethernet one, maybe for a small supplement, but I'm not too hopeful!

I've done some Google and Kelkoo searches on ASDL products, but the array of different types of thing is bewildering!

Jack White
Aug 24, 2004, 06:38 AM
i'm guessing you did pipex? yeah they only give usb modems, so i went with Plus.net, got a speedtouch 545 and plugged it into the AE.
We won't go into the problems i had finding a bloody original Aiport card.

garybUK
Aug 24, 2004, 07:16 AM
here ya go: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1406466468&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449

its 30 but has a builtin ADSL Modem and 4 Port Ethernet Hub, just plug this into your BT Master Socket, then put the AE into a ethernet port and then bobs your uncle!

johnnyjibbs
Aug 26, 2004, 04:41 AM
Yeah, I'm getting Pipex. I guess I could buy that 30 router from eBuyer and then try to sell the free USB modem. Alternatively I could buy the router and then take it with me when I leave home - my parents will still have the USB modem to connect then.

35 (inc VAT) for constant wireless internet - worth it I think. Especially as there seems to be a bug in Windows XP that means it disconnects from the wireless network after switching users (requiring a manual reconnect). I don't have SP2 installed yet though (waiting for the broadband to ease the pain!).

Applespider
Aug 26, 2004, 05:04 AM
Check the t&c's about whether the 'free' modem actually belongs to you or whether it legally still belongs to Pipex. I doubt they'll ever ask for it back but it might happen - see fiasco on the digital TV boxes a few years ago.

Jack White
Aug 26, 2004, 05:25 AM
Yeah, I'm getting Pipex. I guess I could buy that 30 router from eBuyer and then try to sell the free USB modem. Alternatively I could buy the router and then take it with me when I leave home - my parents will still have the USB modem to connect then.

35 (inc VAT) for constant wireless internet - worth it I think. Especially as there seems to be a bug in Windows XP that means it disconnects from the wireless network after switching users (requiring a manual reconnect). I don't have SP2 installed yet though (waiting for the broadband to ease the pain!).

i'd go with Plus.Net, it's cheaper and the service is a little better.