Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paolom3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I got the original Mac Mini from 2005. It is the $599 one. I have not used it in years since my cable company forced me to relocate my router in my home. In order to use my Mini I would need to turn off my phones and plug my modem into my Mini. Clearly this is not an option anymore, nor should it had ever been. So quite simply how to do I get internet on this thing; do they make USB devices now, or just chips? I really would like to update this thing (its last update was in 2006). The computer works fine still, would really like to have the extra computer in the home until I can afford to just by a new computer.

Thanks.

Paolom3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
if the router has wi-fi, you can get a usb dongle to connect to wi-fi.

Looking for a specific model, because I don't want to buy the wrong one, most of those are for PC's and I am not sure which one could work on my model Mac.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Looking for a specific model, because I don't want to buy the wrong one, most of those are for PC's and I am not sure which one could work on my model Mac.

easy way to fix that is to stick with a mac specific retailer.

OWC has Several USB adapters listed (scroll down on the linked page) and i can say that i use the asus one all the time with no problems. a little big, but i just got a short usb extender cable and moved it out a bit. best of luck.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
why not just get a airport express card for inside the mini if there isn't one already , wireless internet

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
why not just get a airport express card for inside the mini if there isn't one already , wireless internet

Only the MacMini with the G4 1.5GHz CPU had the Airport Card already installed, the other two models (1.25GHz, 1.42GHz) had only the spare room for a future update.
Withal the MacMini is quite hard to disassemble for the non-computer savvy person.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Only the MacMini with the G4 1.5GHz CPU had the Airport Card already installed, the other two models (1.25GHz, 1.42GHz) had only the spare room for a future update.
Withal the MacMini is quite hard to disassemble for the non-computer savvy person.

i just mean he did not make clear which one he has as both the 1.42 and the 1.5 mini had been sold for 599 dollars in 2005 , and because the mini does not have to many free usb ports ,actually it has only two , 1 usb port blocked by the keyboard already, so leaves 1 for everything else ok i know you can buy usb hubs , but ...
and opening the mini is not really rocket science and has to be done anyway to upgrade the ram to full 1gb to make the mini fully usable , so fitting a airportcard at the same time is only logical

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.