PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air or iPad?

Gunga Din
Jan 30, 2010, 06:57 PM
I was looking for something easier to use around the house than my MBP. I thought the iPad was the answer but i'm having 2nd thoughts.

Anyone who owns the Air, how much easier is it to handle than a 15" MBP?

Do you think the Apps for the iPad will give it a better user experience for web browsing , mail etc than just having a full fledged notebook like the Air?

I have a iPod Touch but its just too damn small. I don't use my MBP on the go a lot and its mainly used on my desk. I just get tired of disconnecting it and moving it back and forth.

Any thoughts? Other option is to just get a mac mini for desk and make my MBP more mobile. Save me some bucks too.

So iPad and MBP OR Mac Mini and MBP OR Macbook Air and MBP. Those are my options. Would u rather use the MBP around the house instead of a iPad? Plus a 320 gb HD vs a 16 gb HD is a huge factor.

iDisk
Jan 30, 2010, 08:16 PM
I was looking for something easier to use around the house than my MBP. I thought the iPad was the answer but i'm having 2nd thoughts.

Anyone who owns the Air, how much easier is it to handle than a 15" MBP?

Do you think the Apps for the iPad will give it a better user experience for web browsing , mail etc than just having a full fledged notebook like the Air?

I have a iPod Touch but its just too damn small. I don't use my MBP on the go a lot and its mainly used on my desk. I just get tired of disconnecting it and moving it back and forth.

Any thoughts? Other option is to just get a mac mini for desk and make my MBP more mobile. Save me some bucks too.

So iPad and MBP OR Mac Mini and MBP OR Macbook Air and MBP. Those are my options. Would u rather use the MBP around the house instead of a iPad? Plus a 320 gb HD vs a 16 gb HD is a huge factor.

Okay so you have a notebook (which in technicality is portable already) but due to your lack of a desktop it plays a dual role in your usage, thus being your decision to adjudicate that your MBP is somehow in relation to a "real" desktop.

Next you say iPad. Okay iPad just arrived on the scene and Steve made it clear what the devices purpose is.

The iPad WON'T replace any mac notebook at the moment.
So if your needs are what steve said the iPad was for then go ahead and buy one in 60-90 days.

If your wanting to have a set desktop computer (Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro) & then have your notebook for mobility and the touch for light stuff, then go ahead.

But to ask if you should buy another notebook over a "hybird" media player device is a bit flummoxing and inane .... just a little ;)

Gunga Din
Jan 30, 2010, 08:28 PM
Okay so you have a notebook (which in technicality is portable already) but due to your lack of a desktop it plays a dual role in your usage, thus being your decision to adjudicate that your MBP is somehow in relation to a "real" desktop.

Next you say iPad. Okay iPad just arrived on the scene and Steve made it clear what the devices purpose is.

The iPad WON'T replace any mac notebook at the moment.
So if your needs are what steve said the iPad was for then go ahead and buy one in 60-90 days.

If your wanting to have a set desktop computer (Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro) & then have your notebook for mobility and the touch for light stuff, then go ahead.

But to ask if you should buy another notebook over a "hybird" media player device is a bit flummoxing and inane .... just a little ;)

Good pts. Guess i'm trying to decide if the iPad will better to use around the house than my MBP. I don't need the power of a notebook when i'm sitting on my couch.

iDisk
Jan 30, 2010, 08:48 PM
Good pts. Guess i'm trying to decide if the iPad will better to use around the house than my MBP. I don't need the power of a notebook when i'm sitting on my couch.

Yeah that's is what the iPad is for! :)

I plan on buying the 3G version since user aren't required to sign up for 3G service immediately (unless they need it). I say that because the 3G version has GPS and it'll be a good traveling device with friends who don't have GPS in there car or for casual Movie watching when Im in bed or sitting around and I don't need my notebook out, so to kill time I whip out the iPad..... Plus I'm sorta eager to use that thing as a visual alarm clock lol (in landscape mode with that black apple case accessory)

Sounds like you just need a iPad... Not another Notebook (paying $1,499 or $1,799 for a notbook to use as a media device is a little much :eek: )

Just get an iPad and if you seriously want a desktop buy the 24inc display, so you don't feel like your always on your 15" screen or get a base line iMac.... Those are sweet too

El Cabong
Jan 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
For what will you be using the iPad/Air? You say you want it for "web browsing, mail etc," which is a little vague. If you're only going to be web browsing and writing emails, an iPad should be fine, as you pointed out that your only problem with your Touch is that its screen is too small. The "etc" part is what will determine if you need more than an iPad, if the "etc" includes much more than listening to music, watching videos, reading ebooks, or using whatever random apps that are/will be available for the iPad. It won't replace your MBP, but it will be an excellent supplement that is ideal for light productivity and entertainment in an extremely portable package with a breezy interface. Just don't expect it to be a notebook.

IMO, it doesn't sound like you need anything more than an iPad for casual use around the house. To me, it's silly to spend $1000+ on a device for mobile computing when you already have one. My 15" MBP is my only computer and I use it all around the house and out of it (e.g. at work).

Rating your options from best to worst:
(1) iPad
(2) Mini
(3) Air

It should be mentioned that I don't plan on getting an iPad. I have an iPhone, and between that and my MBP I don't see any need the iPad fills. (I'm not big on ebooks, and Stanza works just fine.)

Paul B
Jan 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
For just web browsing and email, the Macbook Air seems more practical imo.

ARF900
Jan 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
Why do people but 15 and 17 inch MBPs? I just cant get around it. The 15 inch is what? $200 more expensive? Thats a very nice external display, I dont think people realize how thin and light the MBP is when they buy the air. Anyway, for you, since you already have a MBP, I think you should get an iPad. Quick simple use around the house is what the iPad is built for.

racer1441
Jan 30, 2010, 09:25 PM
This is a money question, not a tech question.

Do you want a 13" macbook air OR iPad + macbook?

What's your budget.

nagromme
Jan 30, 2010, 09:47 PM
The Air is awesome and and highly portable—you can pick it up one-handed, and it’s enough power for me to do heavy work on.

However, the iPad is even MORE portable, probably more fun (certainly if you like cheap games!) and costs a ton less.

Think what you could do with an iPad plus $1000 still in your pocket :)

(If you didn’t already have an MBP the answer wouldn’t be so simple. But there’s not much risk in the iPad for you: if, occasionally, you DO need full notebook power, just go get the MBP.)

Also, you can use the iPad as a remote screen/mouse/keyboard for your Mac, using an app like Jaadu VNC. (Which is supposedly getting an iPad version—so maybe wait for news on that.) This works surprisingly well, although it’s a little laggy. For some tasks it would be like having OS X and all your MBP stuff running on your iPad.

pukifloyd
Jan 30, 2010, 09:56 PM
iPad for sure. If possible then 3G version. You already have a laptop so its no use to spend more on the Air. iPad will be good for light browsing and movie watching. The demo video posted by engadget looks great.

I plan to buy one myself. Can't wait :)

stoconnell
Jan 30, 2010, 10:09 PM
The iPad will probably never support flash based sites like hulu, etc. I guess the decision between iPad and a MacBook Air would be driven by the type of sites you intend to visit, etc. I guess it also depends on whether you prefer a full on keyboard or are willing to use the virtual keyboard (I don't see the keyboard stand thing being very compatible with the couch ).

The MBA is much easier to handle than a MBP you can one hand carry it around. You could always got the refurb route for the MBA and save some money. As you can see the in the Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air), the MBA is under a refresh watch.

El Cabong
Jan 30, 2010, 10:44 PM
Why do people but 15 and 17 inch MBPs? I just cant get around it. The 15 inch is what? $200 more expensive? Thats a very nice external display, I dont think people realize how thin and light the MBP is when they buy the air. Anyway, for you, since you already have a MBP, I think you should get an iPad. Quick simple use around the house is what the iPad is built for.

Due to your typo, I'm not sure what you mean. You can't understand why people buy 15/17" MBPs? If so, why?

The iPad will probably never support flash based sites like hulu, etc. I guess the decision between iPad and a MacBook Air would be driven by the type of sites you intend to visit, etc.

Good point, although if the iPad gets big enough, such websites may come up with a iPad-compatible distribution method. (I know it's a stretch, esp. since that hasn't happened for the iPhone, but then again, alternatives to Flash such as HTML5 are becoming more widespread.)

potdude
Jan 30, 2010, 11:42 PM
huh? In case you didn't know there are places known as Apple retail stores where potential buyers can pick up each machine before buying. So to say that people don't realize how heavy each machine weighs is pretty absurd. I have both the unibody 13" MBP and the MBA, and the MBP is much heavier. Yes the 13" MBP not the heaviest machine in the world, but the air is noticeably lighter.

As for the original poster, If you are only looking for something to use around your house, just get the iPad. However I would get the Macbook Air and use it as your primary travel machine. Why get an air and only use it around your house? Do you live in a mansion?

aleni
Jan 31, 2010, 12:21 AM
your situation is same with me. i have a 17" unibody that i always left inmy office since it's pretty hassle for me to bring it back home.

i do have mac mini attached on my lcd tv and it's not convinience to browse website on a big screen. brings me a neck pain and eyesore. i use macbook air only to browse websites. my iphone 3gs is handy and very portable to use anywhere at home but sometimes the small screen is really bugging me. the next thing im gonna do is sell my macbook air and buy 2 ipads for me and my wife. it's gonna fit my needs. browse websites everywhere at my home and must be feel more comfortable than the air.

stoconnell
Jan 31, 2010, 08:25 AM
Good point, although if the iPad gets big enough, such websites may come up with a iPad-compatible distribution method. (I know it's a stretch, esp. since that hasn't happened for the iPhone, but then again, alternatives to Flash such as HTML5 are becoming more widespread.)

Perhaps, this is all part of Apple's master plan ;)

Gunga Din
Jan 31, 2010, 08:34 AM
I'll pass on the Air and probably get the iPad.

Even if I got a Mac Mini for my desk and used my MBP around the house or on trips, they both offer similar options. The iPad will give me a chance to explore a different user experience. (OS and apps)

Thanks to all for the feedback.

aleni
Jan 31, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'll pass on the Air and probably get the iPad.

Even if I got a Mac Mini for my desk and used my MBP around the house or on trips, they both offer similar options. The iPad will give me a chance to explore a different user experience. (OS and apps)

Thanks to all for the feedback.

and dont forget that u can
play alot of games which dont exist on mbp.

ibosie
Jan 31, 2010, 09:05 AM
Both i think - the iPad doesn't replace what I need from the Macbook Air when i'm out on the road but it will make a nice sofa computer.

MartiNZ
Jan 31, 2010, 01:44 PM
I had a long analysis written up to post in here yesterday, and it would have been the first reply but it got eaten by Safari somehow :(.

I was essentially saying that I thought off the bat that iPad would be good for on-the-couch browsing, email and that sort of thing, 15" MBP being too large and iPhone really too small especially for enjoyable browsing. However, on thinking more beyond the coolness factor, I was coming down more so on the side of the Air. The next rev was going to be of great interest to me before iPad's revealing, and in terms of the things I tend to need/want to do, it really still makes more sense.

I spent the last few months trying out using the iWork apps on my MBP, at work in an otherwise Windows XP environment, and the compatibility is just not up to it for any one of the three applications. Presuming that the iPad ones are based on '09 and not much more has been done about that compatibility, I would say it would be more trouble than it's worth.

The iPad also seems to make far less sense as a music device, and definitely as a video device, especially with its 4:3 screen, which was a surprise to me until I pictured holding a wide-screen device that size in portrait.

So if I can resist the coolness :cool: factor I'll be waiting at least to see what happens with the next Air rev - hopefully they find some clever way to make it perform better despite the likely Intel graphics solution, and hopefully it gets a 16:9 display with glass cover, glass trackpad and 4GB RAM!

jimboutilier
Jan 31, 2010, 02:06 PM
Both i think - the iPad doesn't replace what I need from the Macbook Air when i'm out on the road but it will make a nice sofa computer.

I can't seem to get past thinking of it as a hyperthyroid iPod Touch. I have an iPhone that does all the things an iPad can do (and more) and while the iPad would make some of these things better from just being bigger and its handful of improved apps, it still pretty much has the limitations of my iPhone (Browser without java/flash support, no real file system, no "full size" apps, limited interaction with other devices, no tethering, DRM etc).

Maybe I'll be able to think of it as a Kindle that does more rather than a "netbook" that does less once I hold one.

ibosie
Jan 31, 2010, 02:16 PM
I can't seem to get past thinking of it as a hyperthyroid iPod Touch. I have an iPhone that does all the things an iPad can do (and more) and while the iPad would make some of these things better from just being bigger and its handful of improved apps, it still pretty much has the limitations of my iPhone (Browser without java/flash support, no real file system, no "full size" apps, limited interaction with other devices, no tethering, DRM etc).

For me as well it's just a bigger screen product - browsing on the iPhone is quite frustrating plus it's dead slow to navigate but I still can't put it down ;) If the iPad can get some control surfaces for Logic Pro i'd be all over it - I'd prefer Apple to make that software though.

Detlev_73
Jan 31, 2010, 02:18 PM
It seems that many people are caught up on the lack of what an iPad has versus what is really "needed". Many folks equate raw power with practicality. I can't speak for you, but I'll offer my example. I only use my computer to browse the web, listen to my music in the background, look at pictures I've taken on vacation, and compose a simply word processing document. I rarely launch Excel and PowerPoint. A vast majority of the time, I consume information, not create it. Likewise, a majority of the "average" user consumes information rather than creating it. So we have established that there are consumers and creators, and of course each has a spectrum within it's own; for example some consumers JUST browse websites on the lower end of their spectrum and some consumers also need to create information more often than passive browsing.

The iPad is the perfect device for consumers of information with little need for creation, whereas Macbook Pros are intended for creators who for all definitions of the word "need" raw processing power; i.e., people who use that raw computing power for editing photographs for their professional endeavors, professional photographer with the media, cutting and splicing movies for broadcast, etc.

Ask yourself the question first: am I primarily a consumer or a creator? Next, within each of the groups establish to what degree you either consume or create: your decision will be made easier this way. I just upgraded my top of the line iMac (from 3 years) ago with the bottom of the line iMac (today), I don't need a huge screen, raw processing power, better video processor, etc.

I learned long ago, that the "I gotta have the BEST" system will just drive you bankrupt. For example, in 2005 according to my naïve self I HAD to have a G5, when all I did was browse the internet, and send emails: OVERKILL. If the iPad had been available then, it would've been the PERFECT match. The offering of accessories for the iPad, i.e. the keyboard plus dock, offers a bit faster input for those who on the consumer scale have to reply to emails and compose letters and documents a greater percentage of the time. If you only reply to one or two emails a day, do you really NEED a physical keyboard? No: take your time with the on-screen keyboard, practice will make perfect and with a little bit of time you'll become more fluent using the on-screen keyboard.

I hope this has helped, bud (or buddette). :o

gri
Jan 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
MBA for me. I need it to give talks and than work in the hotel on grants, papers etc. Not possible with the iPad. And I have a iPad mini with which I can even make phone calls...
Waiting for the MBA with 4G RAM and bigger HD and better screen.

littledude8209
Jan 31, 2010, 04:10 PM
For what will you be using the iPad/Air? You say you want it for "web browsing, mail etc," which is a little vague. If you're only going to be web browsing and writing emails, an iPad should be fine, as you pointed out that your only problem with your Touch is that its screen is too small. The "etc" part is what will determine if you need more than an iPad, if the "etc" includes much more than listening to music, watching videos, reading ebooks, or using whatever random apps that are/will be available for the iPad. It won't replace your MBP, but it will be an excellent supplement that is ideal for light productivity and entertainment in an extremely portable package with a breezy interface. Just don't expect it to be a notebook.

IMO, it doesn't sound like you need anything more than an iPad for casual use around the house. To me, it's silly to spend $1000+ on a device for mobile computing when you already have one. My 15" MBP is my only computer and I use it all around the house and out of it (e.g. at work).

Rating your options from best to worst:
(1) iPad
(2) Mini
(3) Air

It should be mentioned that I don't plan on getting an iPad. I have an iPhone, and between that and my MBP I don't see any need the iPad fills. (I'm not big on ebooks, and Stanza works just fine.)

I have an iPhone, and I am about to be inheriting my parents old MacBook pro (pre-unibody) and I still plan on getting the 64gb ipad with 3G. I want something to use at home with a bigger screen to type emails on and browse the web (iPhones screen is too small for prolonged surfing) and I don't want all the bulk of bringing a laptop everywhere I go. the laptop will mostly be used right at my desk, and the iPhone will mostly be used for quick on the go calls, texts, and small apps. the ipad will be used mostly for emailing, watching movies, listening to music around the house, and I think it will be amazing once I get a slingbox and use it as a small portable tv for in the house. I'm really looking forward to the release of this product, and yes, to an extent it is only for a niche market, but I can see this thing being as big of a product as the iPod touch.

richallenwilk
Apr 6, 2010, 12:38 PM
I have a MBAir and am very pleased with it. When the iPad was announced I immediately wanted one. But as I let the want wane and the need prevail, I realized that the Air does everything that the iPad can do and more. If you don't need to Skype or iChat, print, or plug in peripherals on the go like a memory stick then go for the iPad. It's cheaper and very cool. But if you're looking for something that is ultra portable with full functionality and you're going to keep the MBPro stationary, then go for the MBAir. I bought mine open box at Best Buy for $999 and it's been great.

gwsat
Apr 6, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have a MBAir and am very pleased with it. When the iPad was announced I immediately wanted one. But as I let the want wane and the need prevail, I realized that the Air does everything that the iPad can do and more. If you don't need to Skype or iChat, print, or plug in peripherals on the go like a memory stick then go for the iPad. It's cheaper and very cool. But if you're looking for something that is ultra portable with full functionality and you're going to keep the MBPro stationary, then go for the MBAir. I bought mine open box at Best Buy for $999 and it's been great.
Your opinion is similar to mine. I have wanted an ultra lightweight laptop for some time. My research has convinced me that the MBA is still the best bet for that purpose and will be an even better bet if Apple upgrades its RAM. I quickly eliminated the iPad from consideration after i test drove it. Not only does it not multitask, its virtual keyboard, even with a generously sized screen, is a poor substitute for a real computer's keyboard. The iPad is sexy and a lot of folks are buying them but it's not cut out for real computer work.

southnc
Apr 6, 2010, 06:23 PM
The MBA maybe 2-3 times the price of an iPad, depending on options. However, in reality, the MBA is at least 10 times better - maybe a 100 times better. ;)

Scottsdale
Apr 6, 2010, 07:24 PM
The MBA maybe 2-3 times the price of an iPad, depending on options. However, in reality, the MBA is at least 10 times better - maybe a 100 times better. ;)

It depends on the purpose. In terms of traditional computing, the MBA is certainly a 100 times better. Can one imagine the time commitment of typing out a book on the iPad? How about managing financial spreadsheets on the iPad? How about making a website on the iPad? How about CAD on the iPad? What about advanced mathematical modeling on the iPad? How about editing a movie on the iPad (like feature film)? Certainly, the MBA is capable for computing whereas the iPad is not.

Think about the original target market of the MBA. It's the business user, consultant, executive, grad student, professor, teacher, and etc. Anyone on the go, traveling to a class room or across the country on an airplane. All of these users use the MBA as a computer. For most of these people, an iPad would never do the job. Now, many bought the MBA as a secondary, travel, and entertainment device (similar to the purpose of a netbook), and they became an unintended market because Apple had to dump the original MBAs for $999. That however is not the intended market for the MBA. Some of these unintended MBA buyers will buy the iPad because they didn't really need a computer.

What is the iPad. It's an entertainment device that allows observation not input into the thing as a computer provides excellence for. The average iPad buyer will be those who buy MacBooks for entertainment purposes. Those who work for a company and have a PC at the office... and at home all they really want/need to do is surf the Internet, check their email, and watch lots of videos and manage lots of family photos. These traditional MB users will, over time, migrate to the iPad. It's inevitable. The iPad will become more and more capable, and eventually most MB users who buy them for entertainment will prefer an iPad. In addition, the app store will provide excessive demand for the iPad just as the iPod Touch and iPhone. In addition, those who would otherwise buy an iPhone if it didn't use AT&T or if they weren't already happy with their phone will buy an iPad.

The iPad is setup for success and it will not fail. The model is proven. The MBA is a niche product and will never sell as many MBAs as iPads. However, the MBA offers exceptional margin for Apple and targets the right market customer that Apple loves to focus on. We build the Apple/Mac brand for them. It's cool to own a Mac and even cooler to own a MacBook AIR. This talk of MBA or iPad is nonsense. Any real MBA buyer (the intended market buyer) will buy an iPad in addition to the MBA not an iPad instead of the MBA. The MBA competes less with the iPad than the MB does. Apple knows this very well. It also knows it can dominate and sell a heck of a lot more iPads than MBs in the long run because the iPad is changing entertainment/observation computing forever. I still expect the MBA to be around a long time. When the MBA form factor makes its way to the MBs and MBPs, the MBA will transform into something even more amazing. Apple knows us better than we know ourselves, and it will bring something that has more advantages for the user that needs a computer but also needs extreme portability.

No more talk of MBA or iPad... how about MB or iPad?

Mindinversion
Apr 6, 2010, 07:53 PM
Magic 8 ball says "Ask again after refresh"

duky
Apr 6, 2010, 07:56 PM

Couldn't agree more. I love my MBA and the iPad couldn't think of replacing it. On a side note, typing on my iPhone seems easier than the iPads at the store. Maybe I'll get used to it at home but that was my impression there. As for the MBA vs iPad. I will soon have both and they will have diff uses. When I need to do web dev on the go or video chat with friends when not at my desk the MBA is the ultimate companion but if I'm just casually browsing the web while watching a show on tv or on the bus/train the iPad will be the best bet. I intend to also add a 15" MBP to the mix down the line to replace my old iMac (want SSD in my primary comp and don't necessarily need all the power of the iMac but I do want/need more than the MBA offers). Basically, all three are diff devices and if you can afford to, then get all of them and cover all your bases

lucifiel
Apr 6, 2010, 07:56 PM
So do you think oranges are better than apples?

I mean they're both fruit so you know the comparison sticks!

entatlrg
Apr 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
Couldn't agree more. I love my MBA and the iPad couldn't think of replacing it. On a side note, typing on my iPhone seems easier than the iPads at the store. Maybe I'll get used to it at home but that was my impression there. As for the MBA vs iPad. I will soon have both and they will have diff uses. When I need to do web dev on the go or video chat with friends when not at my desk the MBA is the ultimate companion but if I'm just casually browsing the web while watching a show on tv or on the bus/train the iPad will be the best bet. I intend to also add a 15" MBP to the mix down the line to replace my old iMac (want SSD in my primary comp and don't necessarily need all the power of the iMac but I do want/need more than the MBA offers). Basically, all three are diff devices and if you can afford to, then get all of them and cover all your bases

That's similar to how my set up is going to be shortly.

I'm hoping the iPad does what I want and more. Can it replace my MBA I'm doubtful but I'll be happy if it does.

If I could do everything via the iPad I would, including hooking up to a 24" ACD, BT Keyboard etc.

Having ONE device, a nice/handy size like that to handle everything - WOW.

We'll be there someday ... in the meantime laptop manufacturers have a LOT of laptops they want to sell now and far into the future, I wonder how the iPad is going to effect all this. Same with the netbook market ... some manufacturers heads must be spinning.

jns2001
Apr 7, 2010, 04:19 PM
As crazy as it sounds, I wanted an Ipad so bad before its launch that I would sell a kidney to get one of those. After reading all the reviews about it, I do not want one anymore, I can use my MBA w/SSD to do everything it does, I can watch movies in bed, I can surf the net, I can skype and if fits in my briefcase together with a Dell E4300 that I was given at work. So I can still do all my personal things while on the road, without mixing it up with my work computer. For the first time in many months I am not craving for something that I don't have in terms of gadgets, I went to the Netherlands last week, and I could sightseeing in Amsterdam with my Iphone 3GS, which was very inconspicuous for looking at the gps, points of interest, a restaurant nearby...Etc...T-Mobile NL sells a chip for 9 euros, with 15 euros of credit, and they allow you to tap on their data for 4.95 a day, I have a motorola phone that I could transfer my original chip in case someone would call, and I kept strolling, the only drawback of the MBA was that on my way back it was a 12 hour flight during the day, and I drained the MBA and a small Hypermac battery watching House, Good Wife, The Office, etc... but I got a good 8 hours of battery time. I think that the only differences between the two are form factors, and the ability of one to do something whereas the other doesn't. If you have a MBA and an Iphone, why do you really need the Ipad. I see no reason.

Scottsdale
Apr 8, 2010, 12:22 AM
As crazy as it sounds, I wanted an Ipad so bad before its launch that I would sell a kidney to get one of those. After reading all the reviews about it, I do not want one anymore, I can use my MBA w/SSD to do everything it does, I can watch movies in bed, I can surf the net, I can skype and if fits in my briefcase together with a Dell E4300 that I was given at work. So I can still do all my personal things while on the road, without mixing it up with my work computer. For the first time in many months I am not craving for something that I don't have in terms of gadgets, I went to the Netherlands last week, and I could sightseeing in Amsterdam with my Iphone 3GS, which was very inconspicuous for looking at the gps, points of interest, a restaurant nearby...Etc...T-Mobile NL sells a chip for 9 euros, with 15 euros of credit, and they allow you to tap on their data for 4.95 a day, I have a motorola phone that I could transfer my original chip in case someone would call, and I kept strolling, the only drawback of the MBA was that on my way back it was a 12 hour flight during the day, and I drained the MBA and a small Hypermac battery watching House, Good Wife, The Office, etc... but I got a good 8 hours of battery time. I think that the only differences between the two are form factors, and the ability of one to do something whereas the other doesn't. If you have a MBA and an Iphone, why do you really need the Ipad. I see no reason.

I pre ordered mine, and I had to travel the day it was to be delivered. I didn't have to leave for the airport until after lunch, so I figured it was safe to go ahead and have it delivered where I was at instead of where I was traveling to (plus I wanted to use it on the plane). Unfortunately, lunch came and I had to go. I got a call half way to the airport that it had just been delivered. Now I am not even going to see it for another week. The funny thing I was just like you and wanted it really bad... now, I don't really even care about it. I think I am just desperately in need of a newer, better, faster, updated, cooler feeling, and more capable MBA. In addition, I am hopeful for a new 32" LED ACD. I love my 24" LED ACDs, but I would really love a 32" LED ACD.

I guess that is why Apple didn't update the Macs right before the iPads were released. It makes sense... this gives Apple some time to get sales from us suckers that just want something new rather than need or really even want an iPad itself. Either way the iPad will succeed, but the hype was greatened by our need for something new from Apple. At least that's the way I feel. Before the iPad was released, I thought Apple was stupid for not just releasing the Macs. Now, I think it was a good move on good old AAPL.

smoked
Apr 8, 2010, 12:37 AM
Having a bushel of macs at my disposal, the iPad has definitely become my go-to device for web browsing, playing games, reading books, watching videos, etc. It is just so easy to turn on, one tap to get the weather, news, a game, etc and then put back down. Battery lasts forever on it. Same cannot be said for the MBA. While light, now the keyboard seems in the way for the things I do on the iPad.

aleni
Apr 8, 2010, 12:40 AM
I pre ordered mine, and I had to travel the day it was to be delivered. I didn't have to leave for the airport until after lunch, so I figured it was safe to go ahead and have it delivered where I was at instead of where I was traveling to (plus I wanted to use it on the plane). Unfortunately, lunch came and I had to go. I got a call half way to the airport that it had just been delivered. Now I am not even going to see it for another week. The funny thing I was just like you and wanted it really bad... now, I don't really even care about it. I think I am just desperately in need of a newer, better, faster, updated, cooler feeling, and more capable MBA. In addition, I am hopeful for a new 32" LED ACD. I love my 24" LED ACDs, but I would really love a 32" LED ACD.

I guess that is why Apple didn't update the Macs right before the iPads were released. It makes sense... this gives Apple some time to get sales from us suckers that just want something new rather than need or really even want an iPad itself. Either way the iPad will succeed, but the hype was greatened by our need for something new from Apple. At least that's the way I feel. Before the iPad was released, I thought Apple was stupid for not just releasing the Macs. Now, I think it was a good move on good old AAPL.

i always find your post thoughtful, you are like einstein of the MBA. please give me your thought after you use the iPad. does it change your mind about only having the updated MBA is enough, or the iPad does everything your MBA does but more portable in any way.

smoked
Apr 8, 2010, 12:47 AM
I can already tell you, the iPad doesn't do anything as well as the MBA except run longer without being plugged in ;) it's just more convenient to use for certain things, content creation definitely NOT being one of them.

JasG
Apr 8, 2010, 07:00 AM
When I can write on an iPad as comfortably as I can on an AIR I'll buy one. I want the lightest word processing with a first rate keyboard and a decent screen.

To that end, I will watch the development of the companion bluetooth keyboards. The Apple version weighs 21.5 ounces. The ipad, unless I am mistaken, is 24 ounces. That's to close to the AIR's three pounds to make it a practical replacement.

Scottsdale
Apr 8, 2010, 10:12 AM
i always find your post thoughtful, you are like einstein of the MBA. please give me your thought after you use the iPad. does it change your mind about only having the updated MBA is enough, or the iPad does everything your MBA does but more portable in any way.

Thanks. I will definitely include a link here to my iPad review (where I also plan to compare it vs. an MBA and MB). I have "Great Expectations" for the iPad, but I don't expect it to replace the MBA anytime soon.

colourfastt
Apr 8, 2010, 03:36 PM
Simple answer: why not both?

gwsat
Apr 8, 2010, 03:53 PM
Having a bushel of macs at my disposal, the iPad has definitely become my go-to device for web browsing, playing games, reading books, watching videos, etc. It is just so easy to turn on, one tap to get the weather, news, a game, etc and then put back down. Battery lasts forever on it. Same cannot be said for the MBA. While light, now the keyboard seems in the way for the things I do on the iPad.
Your comment that the weather or some other Web page is just a click away with the iPad caught my attention. Your comment reminded me of how I check the weather if my MBP is closed up. if I am watching TV but want to know the temperature, I will almost always use the Android weather app on my G1 phone to check it, rather than opening up the MBP. The iPad is still too immature and limited in most ways for my tastes but the time could certainly come when I changed my mind and got one. That will be the case with the MBA if Apple ups its RAM. If Apple does that, I will buy one.

dwward
May 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
The Air is awesome and and highly portable—you can pick it up one-handed, and it’s enough power for me to do heavy work on.

However, the iPad is even MORE portable, probably more fun (certainly if you like cheap games!) and costs a ton less....

Let's put money aside for a moment and focus on portability and functionality.

Wouldn't the ideal portable device be the MacBook Air with iPad touch screen and the functionality the touch screen brings? This device would still be highly portable yet you would have keyboard and power of a MB while away from home.

I suppose this really is a very personal question about what one really wants. I use my MacBook as a second computer for travel. I use the Internet, email and chat mostly. But I also watch movies on long flights or train trips in Europe. I want light and portable. I would like to also read ebooks.

Finally, when on holiday, I take digital photos that I upload to my MacBook and edit in photoshop. I'm not sure that I can do this even on the Air.

I think Nagromme is right that the iPad would be more fun. But if I buy the iPad, I'm still taking my MacBook on all trips and I see that as a minus.

I am the least tech savvy person here so I'm earnestly interested in your thoughts.

PS: I realize that Apple can never put money aside in products they bring to market and an essential element in the iPad is cost.

gwsat
May 2, 2010, 02:36 PM
I think Nagromme is right that the iPad would be more fun. But if I buy the iPad, I'm still taking my MacBook on all trips and I see that as a minus.
I finally decided to buy an iPad and have been using it for several weeks. You have made a point that had occurred to me: the iPad's limitations make it imperative that when you travel you take a real computer, too, at least if you need to do more than Web surf, read, and light email. Thus, I don't see the iPad as a viable substitute for the MBA. My iPad is great around home or in an Internet cafe, library, or book store that has wifi but it wouldn't be a capable a substitute for my MBP when I travel.

Cheffy Dave
May 2, 2010, 02:54 PM
Magic 8 ball says "Ask again after refresh"

LOVE IT, LOL, nice post!:cool:

quietstorm
Jun 16, 2010, 07:35 AM
mba AND ipad?

being proud owner of MBAir 2.1 (the one with ssd128 and 2,13GHz cpu) i wonder.... do I need an iPad...

should also confess i am a "hybrid" computer user and "still" use PCs for desktops and heavy laptops....

lord, i also own an iphone 3gs 32gb white

so, do i need a silver ipad?
answer given already ( applies to many posts in this thread)

word NEED is out of context when it comes to products like mac book air, iphones and ipads... especially if you own ANY one of them already....

it boils down to whether you feel like dishing out yet another pocketful of moneypaper to own yet another gadget.

My MBAir does have drawbacks:
1. It does get very hot too easily
2. fan sometimes gets agitated though till now (8 months old) it does seem to "repair itself" after a while and for a while :)
3. battery is good but hey iPad's is better
4. don't talk to me about cheapo ipad games... being a PC user I alwayz loled at macs game experience.... being able to open up the PC and stick into it the newest G-Board, 31 cm long and so on.....

the MBAir is defo more powerful than the iPad but it still is a very weak computer compared to most PC laptops and i am sure heavier mac laptops...

verdict: iPad doesn't do what a true computer does but MBAir never was a true computer (unable to play even a 1080p mkv file properly, unless a special bunch of software for cpu / heat regulation and video playback is used, and even then u got to keep ur fingers crossed)....
and iPad doesn't overheat, battery lasts longer, is even thinner, lighter and smaller. It is also a lot cheaper.

Go for the iPad is my opinion. get the 64GB 3G model + a bluetooth keyboard and an ipad stand or the keyboard stand combo... whatever u prefer. keep keyboard, charger and stand to the place u mostly prefer to write and that is all u need.

PS. to be fair there is really one sector in which iPad is badly hindered, even for the everyday fun loving user's needs.... and that is transferring files.... MBAir will allow wifi/usb file transfers.. iPad needs to be synchroed and even then files are stored on the device under strict OS regulations, as there really is NO file system on iphones and ipads. ios4 does allow appz to access emails and i think this is already done by the iPad with its current OS... but, still, if u want to transfer/watch a movie from your home nas, u just can't with an iPad...

verdict remains the same however, get an iPad and learn to live with its various restrictions... and keep a computer with iTunes nearby to sync data... ROFL....

gwsat
Jun 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
quietstorm --You have obviously done your homework on the iPad. I love mine but have learned to live with its many and significant limitations. Let's talk about its strong points first, though.

The iPad is both sleek and lightweight. It also has a very long lived battery and a beautiful display. It is also remarkably stable. I have had my 16Gb WiFi iPad since shortly after they were released more that 2 months ago and have had to reboot it only 2 or 3 times since.

I use my iPad primarily to listen to audio books and to play Netflix streaming content. By using the iPad for these tasks, I can roam all over my house while carrying the iPad on one hand. The iPad is also handy for quick and dirty Web browsing when you don't want to take the time to open a laptop or sit down in front of a desktop.

Now to the not so strong points. As you noted, the iPad can't deal with Flash content, despite Flash long having been an Internet standard. That was an inexcusable omission in my judgment but that's a rant for another day. The iPad can't handle file transfers in the straightforward way we have come to take for granted with real computers. All of the Web browsers available for the iPad are crippled in one way or another and require me to work around them in ways that I find time consuming and tedious.

Bottom line, if I had a late model MBA and knew what I know now about the iPad, I wouldn't buy the wifi model. But you are considering the 3G model, which, if you are willing to spring for the AT&T data plan, is a feature not available on the MBA. That might be enough to swing the decision in favor of the iPad but keep its limitations in mind, nonetheless.

Scottsdale
Jun 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
quietstorm - mba AND ipad?

My iPad was so limited for the purposes I wished it for, that it has become a very expensive paperweight. I honestly have no use for it, as it's so inferior for the Internet that it's absolutely worthless. I don't want to play games, and the truth is most apps are so inferior to those available on my MBA. The iPad is worthless for typing on also. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, my iPhone fits in my pocket. This is the most important feature when we think of why the iPhone is so amazing. I even thought maybe the iPad would be good for watching movies on an airplane, but even then I have to buy the movies from iTunes... and I cannot watch any free stuff on the iPad because it lacks any real capability that competes with Apple's PAYMENT FOR CONTENT model. I honestly have found that there's no need for a device in between an MBA and an iPhone. The truth is the MBA is the ultimate mobile Mac, and OS X is necessary for creation computing. The iPhone is absolute perfection at being extremely mobile and providing many capabilities that I want on the go... in my pocket ready at all times.

You are much better off with an MBA and an iPhone 4!

gwsat
Jun 16, 2010, 09:58 AM
For those who have a bunch of M4V movie files, getting them onto your iPad and watching them there is an easy matter with the addition of a (cheap) app from the App Store, Goodreader. Goodreader works extremely well. With it you can use iTunes as a client and transfer any file on your network to an iPad. I have used Goodreader to transfer both M4V movie files and aiff audio files to the iPad for playback. Highly recommended!

Spacekatgal
Jun 16, 2010, 10:06 AM
I completely reject that the iPad has no use as anything but a consumption device. So does Steve Jobs, who said as much a D8.

It depends on their workflow. I don't really know what other people's jobs are, but I work as a graphic designer. The iPad is a great compliment to that job. The MBA is totally inferior to the iPad in the following areas for my work.

1. Surfing on the go. The iPad has 3G internet access. If I need to find reference material, show my website to someone, or even just tether my Macbook pro to it, the iPad is the way to go. The MBA can't surf, and the iPhone is a poor cousin to the large screen experience.
2. Sketching out ideas. Adobe Ideas is excellent for sketching out quick layouts and compositions. Often, when working with other artists, I have grabbed my iPad and shown them visually what I mean. The MBA can't do this.
3. Showing my portfolio. In my line of work, you get jobs often by chance meetings. I used to show people a Quicktime movie of my work on my MBA. That's totally inferior to the interactive, fun experience of showing it to them on the iPad.
4. Responding to emails. Granted, anything substantive must be typed on a real keyboard - but a lot of my day is checking my work email account and staying on top of it. Quick responses are often sent from my iPad. You can do this from iPhone, but the iPad is better. The MBA completely lacks this ability.
5. Taking breaks. I will work in hour long bursts, and then will surf or play a game to relax. On the MBA, the best game I found was Peggle Nights. There are tons of great games already on iPad.

Scotsdale, you're fond of making blanket statements. I would ask you to consider the fact that not everyone's job is typing spreadsheets or whatever - which sounds like the most boring work on earth to me, by the way. The iPad is not totally a consumption device - it is also a tool. The 3G access, touch screen, and social factor of the iPad are all huge pluses.

Bri

Scottsdale
Jun 17, 2010, 12:20 AM
I completely reject that the iPad has no use as anything but a consumption device. So does Steve Jobs, who said as much a D8.

It depends on their workflow. I don't really know what other people's jobs are, but I work as a graphic designer. The iPad is a great compliment to that job. The MBA is totally inferior to the iPad in the following areas for my work.

1. Surfing on the go. The iPad has 3G internet access. If I need to find reference material, show my website to someone, or even just tether my Macbook pro to it, the iPad is the way to go. The MBA can't surf, and the iPhone is a poor cousin to the large screen experience.
2. Sketching out ideas. Adobe Ideas is excellent for sketching out quick layouts and compositions. Often, when working with other artists, I have grabbed my iPad and shown them visually what I mean. The MBA can't do this.
3. Showing my portfolio. In my line of work, you get jobs often by chance meetings. I used to show people a Quicktime movie of my work on my MBA. That's totally inferior to the interactive, fun experience of showing it to them on the iPad.
4. Responding to emails. Granted, anything substantive must be typed on a real keyboard - but a lot of my day is checking my work email account and staying on top of it. Quick responses are often sent from my iPad. You can do this from iPhone, but the iPad is better. The MBA completely lacks this ability.
5. Taking breaks. I will work in hour long bursts, and then will surf or play a game to relax. On the MBA, the best game I found was Peggle Nights. There are tons of great games already on iPad.

Scotsdale, you're fond of making blanket statements. I would ask you to consider the fact that not everyone's job is typing spreadsheets or whatever - which sounds like the most boring work on earth to me, by the way. The iPad is not totally a consumption device - it is also a tool. The 3G access, touch screen, and social factor of the iPad are all huge pluses.

Bri

Well, I think people shouldn't get so upset and take it personal when someone opposes them in a debate topic like this. You seem to take everything I say as a personal attack. That is far from the case. I never say anything about people here except the one time I said "ONETWO" where ONE equals Fan and TWO equals Boi. Funny that I have seen it several times since without anyone being banned.

People seem to think when anyone opposes anything Jobs says that it's a personal attack against them. This is a major problem all over these forums. People mistake my opposition to some of Apple's or Jobs positions as personal attacks. I mean to say that I am a terrible person for being so inconsiderate as to only want a 5-hour battery in the MBA, or I am so terrible for wanting the MacBook Air I want not considering others want a 10-hour battery or Intel GMA with their Arrandale CPU, or I am so terrible for opposing Jobs or not believing his every word... these are NOT personal attacks. These are MY VIEWS, MY OPINIONS, MY POSITIONS, and I am using them in a debate manner not as personal attacks.

I find the iPad completely worthless, you don't. Great, we can debate why, or people can take it as personal attacks and get defensive. I honestly don't understand a lot of people here. I mean to think that it's so wrong to want a 5-hour battery, or expect to BE ABLE TO INSTALL Flash ON MY OWN $600 iPad, or to have my own opinions... I am clueless for certain.

Spacekatgal
Jun 17, 2010, 12:45 AM
Well, I think people shouldn't get so upset and take it personal when someone opposes them in a debate topic like this. You seem to take everything I say as a personal attack. That is far from the case. I never say anything about people here except the one time I said "ONETWO" where ONE equals Fan and TWO equals Boi. Funny that I have seen it several times since without anyone being banned.

People seem to think when anyone opposes anything Jobs says that it's a personal attack against them. This is a major problem all over these forums. People mistake my opposition to some of Apple's or Jobs positions as personal attacks. I mean to say that I am a terrible person for being so inconsiderate as to only want a 5-hour battery in the MBA, or I am so terrible for wanting the MacBook Air I want not considering others want a 10-hour battery or Intel GMA with their Arrandale CPU, or I am so terrible for opposing Jobs or not believing his every word... these are NOT personal attacks. These are MY VIEWS, MY OPINIONS, MY POSITIONS, and I am using them in a debate manner not as personal attacks.

I find the iPad completely worthless, you don't. Great, we can debate why, or people can take it as personal attacks and get defensive. I honestly don't understand a lot of people here. I mean to think that it's so wrong to want a 5-hour battery, or expect to BE ABLE TO INSTALL Flash ON MY OWN $600 iPad, or to have my own opinions... I am clueless for certain.

A. I find that term homophobic. It's no worse than pejoratively calling something gay. It's heteronormative language at best. So, I don't think your ban was completely without merit.

B. I'm not taking anything personally. That has nothing to do with my point.

But since you brought it up, the first time I came here, I got a nice verbal assault from you because I liked my iPad better than my MBA. You called me a troll. The next time you piqued my attention, you were throwing a fit because someone was asking the MBA board if they thought an iPad was better than the MBA. You demanded their post deleted, because you found it disrespectful.

Scotsdale, your first impressions to me were not positive. That said, I plan on sticking around this forum for a while. I'd really rather just start over with you, and ask that you respect my right to make up my own mind. You really tend to bludgeon people with your opinions.

You have some interesting highly-technical views that I enjoy reading.

soph
Jun 17, 2010, 01:11 AM
A. I find that term homophobic. It's no worse than pejoratively calling something gay. It's heteronormative language at best. So, I don't think your ban was completely without merit.

I think I start getting it. I never understood the insult in the ventilatorkid expression. But that's probably because at best I'm a fangal :D

gwsat
Jun 17, 2010, 08:34 AM
I find the iPad completely worthless . . .
You know from my posts at Mac Rumors that I am acutely aware of the iPad's many significant weaknesses. Nevertheless, "the iPad [is] completely worthless"? Engage in hyperbole much?:)

entatlrg
Jun 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
I find the iPad completely worthless

WOW, Scottsdale ... you never cease to amaze me with your comments.

Too often the flavor of your email is "if I don't like then it's no good", or, as in your recent posts you said "completely worthless".

ah, I'm wasting my valuable time here ... guess I've just learned what the ignore button is for ... See ya.

gwsat
Jun 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
If you are referring to Scottsdale's use of a term that means a fanatical obsession with a particular product, movie, TV series, etc., I don't get it (http://www.film.com/features/story/fanboy-fanboi-evolution-of-obsessed/16887249). The linked column from Film.com is an interesting discussion of the term. I was as surprised as Scottsdale when his use of what, up to that time at least, seemed to me to be a pretty benign expression got him banned for awhile. Fear not, though, I have now been intimidated into never, ever, uttering it in these precincts. That's not because I think that there is anything intrinsically wrong with it, I don't, and I certainly didn't think it was "homophobic." Instead, I won't use it because I am never going to use a term that I know in advance somebody else would find offensive. This just goes to show that in this age of political correctness you never know when somebody is going to think of a new way to be offended. On the other hand, maybe I have just led a sheltered life.:)

To add something on topic, I agree that Scottsdale's characterization of the iPad as, "completely worthless," to put it gently, tended to overstate the case.

Spacekatgal
Jun 17, 2010, 11:38 AM
If you are referring to Scottsdale's use of a term that means a fanatical obsession with a particular product, movie, TV series, etc., I don't get it (http://www.film.com/features/story/fanboy-fanboi-evolution-of-obsessed/16887249). The linked column from Film.com is an interesting discussion of the term. I was as surprised as Scottsdale when his use of what, up to that time at least, seemed to me to be a pretty benign expression got him banned for awhile. Fear not, though, I have now been intimidated into never, ever, uttering it in these precincts. That's not because I think that there is anything intrinsically wrong with it, I don't, and I certainly didn't think it was "homophobic." Instead, I won't use it because I am never going to use a term that I know in advance somebody else would find offensive. This just goes to show that in this age of political correctness you never know when somebody is going to think of a new way to be offended. On the other hand, maybe I have just led a sheltered life.:)

To add something on topic, I agree that Scottsdale's characterization of the iPad as, "completely worthless," to put it gently, tended to overstate the case.

No, I agree. It's somewhat benign. If I were a mod, I would not have chosen to ban anyone over this. There are so many more legitimate homophobic things to get upset about.

When I used to work as a reporter, I would always carefully consider my source. Scotsdale is the one saying this is why he was banned. I would guess that the reasons for the ban were multifactoral, and other things were at play.

I think even the most anti-iPad people would agree there's a market for it. A new study came out this morning showing that the iPad has devastated netbook sales. With well over two million sold, people aren't using them for doorstops.

peterb69
Jun 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
The iPad is fantastic to watch Major League Baseball on with the MLB2010 app. Of course MLB gets your $$$ to sign up for a season. iPad is also good to have a small photo portfolio on it to pass around. The screen for this is really nice.

But it does not work for me personally to surf the web as I mentioned in another post. That's why I decided for a used MBA over the iPad.

I am looking forward to see where the iPad goes however. If Apple could merge the MBA with the iPad on 1 device, run a version of Mac X os on it, be able to share files and print from it, that would be something.

Spacekatgal
Jun 17, 2010, 11:58 AM
The iPad is fantastic to watch Major League Baseball on with the MLB2010 app. Of course MLB gets your $$$ to sign up for a season. iPad is also good to have a small photo portfolio on it to pass around. The screen for this is really nice.

But it does not work for me personally to surf the web as I mentioned in another post. That's why I decided for a used MBA over the iPad.

I am looking forward to see where the iPad goes however. If Apple could merge the MBA with the iPad on 1 device, run a version of Mac X os on it, be able to share files and print from it, that would be something.

That MLB App is awesome! My husband is a huge Yankees fan, and we frequently watch games with it while we're out.

Speaking of baseball, I made news all around the world earlier this year when I snuck my forbidden iPad into Yankee stadium and complained about it on IGN.

http://mashable.com/2010/05/23/yankee-stadium-ipad-ban/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20005712-71.html

This dumb story made CNN, Fox News, ESPN, and was translated into 8 other languages. There are over 200 stories about it. So silly!

peterb69
Jun 17, 2010, 12:15 PM
Speaking of baseball, I made news all around the world earlier this year when I snuck my forbidden iPad into Yankee stadium and complained about it on IGN.

This dumb story made CNN, Fox News, ESPN, and was translated into 8 other languages. There are over 200 stories about it. So silly!

Oh, so you're the one! :D

That is so funny.

gwsat
Jun 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
When I used to work as a reporter, I would always carefully consider my source. Scotsdale is the one saying this is why he was banned. I would guess that the reasons for the ban were multifactoral, and other things were at play.
Scottsdale is a man of firm opinions, to say the least, but I have never seen him indulge in a personal attack. His use of the you-know-what word was no exception to my way of thinking. I had participated in the thread that led to the contretemps from the beginning. After it happened another poster to that thread, who shall remain nameless here. PMed me about it. We were both gob smacked because we could see no way the use of the you-know-what word could result in the suspension of Scottsdale's posting privileges. If there was anything else involved in Scottsdale's suspension, it wasn't apparent to me.

What happened to Scottsdale reminds me of what happened to a Washington DC city official in the '90s (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm). The official used the word "niggardly," which means cheap or miserly, to describe his own administration of a fund. The word has no racial connotation whatever. Because some of the black participants in the meeting were ignorant of the meaning of the word they were offended. The official apologized, despite having done nothing to have to apologize for, and was ultimately forced to resign. That contretemps was the worst example of political correctness run amok I have ever seen and it still offends me.

Back on track, though, the iPad continues to impresses me and a lot of others, despite its weaknesses. That's why its sales figures are so huge. Despite those weaknesses, the iPad may yet be the death of the MBA. I hope not but the possibility becomes more realistic every day.

skate71290
Jun 17, 2010, 06:22 PM

Answers your question, 64GB iPad (WiFi only) is nearly 50% cheaper than the MBA Top Model, Steve is devoting his remaining days to the iOS so more updates for that. Be prepared to live without Flash. It does not, in anyway replace a computer for "real" work.

skate71290
Jun 17, 2010, 06:35 PM
I find the iPad completely worthless, you don't. Great, we can debate why

No debate, it is worthless, nice admittedly, but just a very expensive, pointless gadget taking attention away from the real computers, leaving us out in the cold... just make Snow Leopard Open Source, make our lives so much better

Scottsdale
Jun 18, 2010, 12:08 AM
No, I agree. It's somewhat benign. If I were a mod, I would not have chosen to ban anyone over this. There are so many more legitimate homophobic things to get upset about.

I think even the most anti-iPad people would agree there's a market for it. A new study came out this morning showing that the iPad has devastated netbook sales. With well over two million sold, people aren't using them for doorstops.

I find your use of the word "homophobic" to be DISGUSTING. I would say you need to be banned indefinitely to accuse me of being any such thing. I find you're DISGUSTING for calling anything I said to be homophobic. I certainly hope you get what is coming to you for using such words on these forums.

No debate, it is worthless, nice admittedly, but just a very expensive, pointless gadget taking attention away from the real computers, leaving us out in the cold... just make Snow Leopard Open Source, make our lives so much better

My OPINIONS are MINE. People cannot make me feel like an iPad is not worthless, because IT's MY opinion. I didn't say for everyone the iPad wouldn't be worthless... for surely I can see some getting some use out of it for the price. For me, an iPhone and MBA is 100X more powerful and capable than an iPad. FOR ME... that's ALL!