Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
My car doesn't have built-in bluetooth so I've been looking for a product for use in your car that allows you to connect an iphone via bluetooth to it, then output that audio to a 3.5mm jack (AUX) input. Is there such a beast?

Thanks!

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas

acribb

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for the information. I ordered one of those myself. I hope to have it tomorrow to put in my Jeep.

Brand new 2010 Jeep with factory installed, top of the line touch screen GPS and Stereo, handsfree BT built in with a 30 GB hard drive but no A2DP!!

FYI, I auditioned the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway with my iPhone 3G and a new 2010 QX56. I found the sound quality was not too great. It had a lot of dropouts and some static, but the worst was the fact that the highs sounded overpushed and distorted. Guitars would sound distorted on certain notes, a static like sound... I checked it on my home stereo (which would take the ground loop issue out) and it sounded the same- distorted and not too great.

I am still looking for a Bluetooth stereo solution-
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/872447/

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
FYI, I auditioned the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway with my iPhone 3G and a new 2010 QX56. I found the sound quality was not too great. It had a lot of dropouts and some static, but the worst was the fact that the highs sounded overpushed and distorted. Guitars would sound distorted on certain notes, a static like sound... I checked it on my home stereo (which would take the ground loop issue out) and it sounded the same- distorted and not too great.

I am still looking for a Bluetooth stereo solution-
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/872447/

Ref the Blackberry BT Stereo Gateway:

I can't say the the audio quality is great but it's not awful. I'd say on a scale of 1-10 it's a 7. I don't get any of the static you mentioned or the dropouts but agree with you on the high end being overpushed. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a little in the audio quality for the convenience of less wires.

I had originally tried the Sony Ericsson BT receiver mentioned in your other thread and sent it back after about a week. With that one I DID a lot of dropouts, though I liked the look of it better.

acribb

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
Ref the Blackberry BT Stereo Gateway:

I can't say the the audio quality is great but it's not awful. I'd say on a scale of 1-10 it's a 7. I don't get any of the static you mentioned or the dropouts but agree with you on the high end being overpushed. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a little in the audio quality for the convenience of less wires.

I had originally tried the Sony Ericsson BT receiver mentioned in your other thread and sent it back after about a week. With that one I DID a lot of dropouts, though I liked the look of it better.

The distortion on the highs made the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway unusable for me. Hopefully the new Kensington Bluetooth kit I just ordered works out better for me. I should have it in a week and i'll report back my findings in this thread and in my other thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/872447/ . Just to clear things up, I have not ever tried the Sony Ericsson BT receiver as you said above - you must be referring to the other poster. But it's good to know that I can mark that one off my list.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The distortion on the highs made the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway unusable for me. Hopefully the new Kensington Bluetooth kit I just ordered works out better for me. I should have it in a week and i'll report back my findings in this thread and in my other thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/872447/ . Just to clear things up, I have not ever tried the Sony Ericsson BT receiver as you said above - you must be referring to the other poster. But it's good to know that I can mark that one off my list.

Yeah please keep me posted. But I'm afraid that with BT we will never have "great" audio. It's like the elusive unicorn, it's just a myth.

acribb

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
No good either! I give up!

From my other thread-

Ok, I just got it today and I tried the unit out in our 2010 QX56 (not sure why this brand new vehicle doesn't have it!) and the sound quality on this is not too great. It has, what I would consider, a lot of distortion on the highs and it has a real low volume and in general the audio sounds like it was downgraded in bitrate. I tested this with the engine off so I don't think it's a ground loop interference problem.

I also previously tried the Blackberry Remote Stereo Gateway and I found that it sounded very clear but that it added a rattle to the highs. I tested this one on 2 home stereos and in the Q. Same thing-rattling highs.

I guess I am expecting too much out of these Bluetooth stereo receivers- I expect them to sound the same as when connected via wire from the headphone output.

I thought that good stereo bluetooth sound was possible since when I test drove a 2010 Sequoia, the factory stereo bluetooth DID sound exactly the same as wired directly into the Aux.

I guess 'good' sound from A2DP bluetooth is only possible on receivers with built-in bluetooth- not from these add-ons...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.