PDA

View Full Version : Australian Hurdler, Jana Rawlinson, removes breast implants to go for gold in 2012

killerrobot
Jan 30, 2010, 10:08 PM
Not sure how I missed this story but it's a rather interesting one. She got implants to feel better about her body, but now has removed them to make sure she gives it all she can in the olympics.
I think she could be a great role model for a lot of girls/women because she got over body issue images to focus more on herself/others and goals rather than merely focusing on her outer beauty.
And now for my shallow thoughts- breast implants or not, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers as the saying goes.

Jana Rawlinson got breast implants to feel more womanly, but had them removed three months ago - and says she doesn’t miss them.

Jana Rawlinson knows she’ll win no medals for being glamorous.

But like most women, this athletic heroine wants to love the reflection she sees in the mirror – and for many years she didn’t, which is why she had a breast enlargement in July 2008.

It is also why she had her implants removed in September last year. “Yep, I’m back to being flat as a pancake, so I need all the help I can get,” she says good-naturedly. Cupping her hands protectively over her push-up bra, she tells Woman’s Day about the secret surgeries – not one, but two – she underwent in the space of 14 months.

“I absolutely loved having bigger boobs, but finally I’ve grown up enough to know myself; to be honest about who I am when I look in the mirror. I don’t want to short-change Australia either – I want to feel the most athletic I can, to know that I’m standing on the track in London [2012 Olympics] the fittest I can be.

http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/celebrity/inthemag/988618/jana-rawlinson-i-still-feel-sexy-without-my-boobs

dmr727
Jan 30, 2010, 10:10 PM
She should put them on e-bay.

killerrobot
Jan 30, 2010, 10:27 PM
She should put them on e-bay.

With all proceeds going to Haiti.

Abstract
Jan 30, 2010, 10:54 PM
You say she's a good role-model for concentrating on a personal goal rather than her exterior, but if you read the article, she mentions possibly getting implants again after her athletics career is over. It's not like she got ofer her body issues and feels better about herself.

killerrobot
Jan 30, 2010, 11:03 PM
You say she's a good role-model for concentrating on a personal goal rather than her exterior, but if you read the article, she mentions possibly getting implants again after her athletics career is over. It's not like she got ofer her body issues and feels better about herself.

Yeah, but we'll have to wait and see what actually happens in the future. If she wins gold, maybe she'll have enough confidence/be over her body issues not to get them again.
If she does and doesn't turn out to be the perfect role model, I think her story still stresses how much ads/tv/movies/magazines have really messed in the head with girls/women and what it means to be beautiful and how they have defined that thin and curvy is the only feminine characteristic that is desired in women.
There's a lot of body and image issues that she seems to be struggling with, and at the moment I think she's taking a stand in the right direction that could inspire a lot of other girls/women when she says "I know there are no medals for being beautiful". That's a message that should ring true - beauty is fleeting but life-long accomplishments aren't.

748s
Jan 31, 2010, 03:08 AM
She's was a nut case before the implant stuff.

I'm betting she will have an "injury" weeks before the games and withdraw.

FX120
Jan 31, 2010, 02:12 PM
So bigger boobs = increased drag?

dXTC
Feb 1, 2010, 07:44 AM
So bigger boobs = increased drag?

Aerodynamics aside, getting rid of them gets rid of quite a few ounces of "dead" weight, and can perhaps shave off a few hundredths of a second.

(So sayeth Captain Obvious.)

miller218
Feb 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
I know runners are thin, but a 12? Must be the metric system or something :D