PDA

View Full Version : Posible to use iMac's CD on iBook?

cmx08
Aug 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
I'm planning to get an iMac G5 with Tiger in January 2005.

Can I use iMac's installation disks on my iBook G4 and vise versa?
or even better

Use the iMac disks on both.

I was thinking if it would be worth it to just buy Tiger for the search ingine then I figured no.

if I get a new mac with it, I would not have to buy it.

stoid
Aug 23, 2004, 01:37 PM
Tiger is out during the first half of 2005. June 30th is still in that first half. Also, you should purchase a copy of Tiger for all of your computers as installing one copy onto multiple computers is illegal. That being said though, I don't think that you will have a problem installing Tiger on your iBook from the iMac's disks as long as the iBook can read DVDs.

cmx08
Aug 23, 2004, 01:47 PM
my plan was to have panther in the new mac and tiger in the ibook so everything will be legal.

yeah, well, i'll get it when tiger is incl. not necessary on jan. thanks to point that out.

the reason is that portable computers get stolen and mess up easier, so i wanted to have spotlight on it. but I don't feel like paying 115$ for 1 program, the rest are useless for me.

just like panther, I got a new ibook instead of buying the OS.

went from G3 900 40 640 ATI7500 11b to G4 800 30 256 ATI 9200 11g
good upgrade and got Expose and the new Finder only features i use.

LeeTom
Aug 23, 2004, 01:48 PM
You'll have better luck finding an ACTUAL TIGER to buy in January 2005 than getting a retail copy of Apple's OS X Tiger.

Lee Tom

tdhurst
Aug 23, 2004, 02:09 PM
No, you can't use other computers system disks. Stop asking this question, and, for god's sakes, QUIT TALKING ABOUT TIGER. NO ONE knows when it will be out!!!!!!!!!

stoid
Aug 23, 2004, 02:24 PM
If the install disc won't work, you can just take the fresh install on the iMac and use Carbon Copy Cloner to image the iMac onto the iBook via FireWire. It's ok to image a G5 onto G4, but don't go the other way as I've heard that it causes problems.

King Cobra
Aug 23, 2004, 02:40 PM
Can I use iMac's installation disks on my iBook G4 and vise versa?
No.

Do it, and you'll either have hell with kernel panics on your iBook, or you won't be able to install OS X fully onto your iBook. And don't bother with the CCC suggestion (above) for OS copying, because you'd be copying software from the iMac only fit for that iMac to an iBook...same issues.

Horrortaxi
Aug 23, 2004, 03:02 PM
It's unlikely that a G5 that ships with Tiger will run an older OS.

EDIT: This comes up just about every day. Surely a search would have turned up something relevant.

fowler.
Aug 23, 2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah, good luck installing those iMac disks on an iBook. I did something similar a while back with some Powermac discs (quicksilver) on a mystic G4 and it didn't work out well. Actually, it effed a lot of stuff up. So.. not fun.

PeterBonnar
Aug 23, 2004, 04:04 PM
i recently decided to re-install my iMac software as i was having a few stability problems. I backed-up, went to find my panther disks and could only find disk 2 and 3! So i plopped in my powerbook install DVD and installed with that. The only thing i couldn't do was use DVD 2 which was ilife and other applications. Not a problem as i have my iLife DVD and i didn't need any of the other apps.

But have i now created a time bomb? i've been using it for a lot of heavy duty Video Editiing and photoshop + web work and it seems fine. but will it stay that way?

fowler.
Aug 23, 2004, 04:09 PM
I did the same thing with an iBook. Last night in fact. I did the first disk, but the second seemed to quite half way through. It seems like it's working okay. Except for the fact that I must have typed in the password incorrectly (both times?) and can't update anything. So, I need to reinstall it... again.

PeterBonnar
Aug 23, 2004, 04:27 PM
the second disk on mine just said it was not compatable with this system. So i shrugged and moved on, i'm going to asume it'll be alright, at least till i get a new mac in the new year...... thats if i get a huge pay rise :)

Finiksa
Aug 23, 2004, 05:46 PM
I just used my iBook disks to install Panther on my Powermac G4 last night, worked perfectly. They're 10.3.2 disks I couldn't be bothered installing 10.3.0 and doing 5 consecutive updates.

They appear to be full install disks though with no machine specific warnings, not restore disks.