PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB rev C, beep noise?

SkudShark
Aug 23, 2004, 02:22 PM
hey guys, 3rd try on this question, hoping osmeone will have an answer since last two times have not been successfull for a serious answer =\

I have a REV C. 1.33 gighz 12 inch powerbook, and every so often a faint "beep" sound will occur, like in 30 min or 20 min intervals, and I know its not a background program running or anything in the dock. Any ideas? I think it's coming from my speakers, as when I mute them I don't hear it, unless I miss it somehow while doing other things :P

So, anyone else have this happening? I'm just hoping its the speakers and not some sort of whine from the HD or something else goign wrong.

Thanks for you'r input!

keysersoze
Aug 23, 2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks for you'r input!

Sorry, no answer here... but I can tell you my G5 did that last night. Very faint beep. It happened once, then again a few seconds later. Then it didn't happen again. The machine was on and not sleeping, but the monitor was off.
Very weird. :confused:

LeeTom
Aug 23, 2004, 03:00 PM
Does it sound like the beep of a PC starting up, or more like a whining high-pitched noise?

Lee Tom

keysersoze
Aug 23, 2004, 03:05 PM
Does it sound like the beep of a PC starting up, or more like a whining high-pitched noise?

Lee Tom

In my case, it sounded like the hard drive was being accessed, a bit of clicking. After the clicking stopped (almost immediately), a very faint beep came out of my speakers. A little bit later it happened again. It was more of a "blip" noise then a startup chime.

Edit: I seem to have forgotten the most important part. This all happened at 11:30pm and the machine was running F@H. I didn't get up to check it, but this morning when I first checked it, it kernel panicked and needed a hard reboot. I am wondering if the original poster had a kernel panic to deal with, or if my kernel panic was a separate incident from the beeps.

SkudShark
Aug 23, 2004, 09:36 PM

Lee Tom

A VERY faint beep like pc starting up.

stoid
Aug 23, 2004, 09:41 PM
I have noticed that when I have my cell phone near my PowerBook that the speakers, internal or JBL Creatures, intercept some of the signal packets and makes a faint ticking noise. It took me the longest time to make this correlation. Could this be the source for any or all of you?

keysersoze
Aug 24, 2004, 07:38 AM
I have noticed that when I have my cell phone near my PowerBook that the speakers, internal or JBL Creatures, intercept some of the signal packets and makes a faint ticking noise. It took me the longest time to make this correlation. Could this be the source for any or all of you?

Ah! I have JBL creatures. It's quite possible that a cell phone is interfering; I hadn't thought of that. But there WAS a cell phone near my computer desk at the time of the beeping. I'll have to run some un-scientific tests.