PDA

View Full Version : Any networking gurus out there? Help!

nina
Aug 23, 2004, 03:16 PM
Hello, all!

I'm trying to set up my network to include my brand new 12" rev. C Powerbook, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to do it right. Maybe you guys can help!

Currently, I have a cable modem connected to a wired, DHCP-enabled D-Link 4-port router. Of these 4 ports, 3 are currently connected to computers. I was thinking of connecting the final free port to my new Netgear wireless G router. Basically, I want to add 2 wireless laptops to my network - I'd like them to be on the same subnet, so they can access shares on the 3 wired computers, as well as access the internet.

Is this possible? I've read that I should disable DHCP on the wireless router, give it a different default IP, and connect it to the wired router via a LAN port, not a WAN port. What I'm wondering is will this setup allow me to have 5 computers connected to the 4-port router? Will the DHCP on the wired router simply keep assigning IPs?

Thanks a bunch! My main reason for doing things this way is that I'd like to be able to simply yank the network cable to the new wireless router when I'm not around - that way, I don't have to worry about security. When I'm home and I want to get online fast, all I have to do is plug in the network cable.

What do you guys think?

LeeTom
Aug 23, 2004, 03:20 PM
Yes, the way you described is the correct way, and your router will give more than 4 IPs.

Cable Modem -> Router -> Wireless AP (set to access point mode, not setup as a router) -> wireless clients.

Lee Tom

emw
Aug 23, 2004, 03:26 PM
Re: security... Even though you plan on pulling the connection when you're not around, you should probably still consider some basic security options for your wireless LAN for when you are around:

1. Disable broadcasting the SSID (more difficult to find the router)

2. Enable MAC address filters so that only your equipment can connect

3. Set up a strong password

This way you can feel comfortable while you're surfing as well.

nina
Aug 23, 2004, 03:29 PM
Re: security... Even though you plan on pulling the connection when you're not around, you should probably still consider some basic security options for your wireless LAN for when you are around:

1. Disable broadcasting the SSID (more difficult to find the router)
2. Enable MAC address filters so that only your equipment can connect
3. Set up a strong password

This way you can feel comfortable while you're surfing as well.

1. Check!
2. Check!
3. Check!

+ 4. I set up WPA on the router as well. Just to be extra safe! :p

NusuniAdmin
Aug 23, 2004, 03:37 PM
This is a bit bizzare as just yesterday we set up a wireless network here.

We were going to do this>

cable modem > linksys router > linksys wireless > wireless clients

but we gave up trying to make room in that area for 2 routers so we just decided to use the linksys wireless as our main router. MAC addres filtering is probably one of the greatest things that wus made..next to A/C that is.

Anyways good luck with your network

nina
Aug 23, 2004, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about doing this originally, but then I read about how easily a MAC address can be spoofed.

Also, like I said before, this setup allows me to simply yank the connection to the wireless segment of my network when I'm not around. If I wanted to kill my wireless with my network on a single wired/wireless router, I'd have to reboot the router every time I wanted to disable/enable wireless, which would be a major pain.

Yanking the network connection is a simple, primitive security measure, but at least I'm sure it's 100% secure!

NusuniAdmin
Aug 23, 2004, 04:03 PM
I was thinking about doing this originally, but then I read about how easily a MAC address can be spoofed.

This is especially true on windows. Last i looked on a windows xp machine somewhere it had a field where u can enter a custom MAC address into the field and it will cause the router to think that custom one is the actuall MAC address.