Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperGinge123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
i know this problem has been talked about many times, but i have looked and looked and am yet to find a solution to my problem. so here goes.
i have a 120gb ipod classic, it has around 8000 songs and some videos, which in the end totals to around 50gb of media, yet my ipod is full. so somethings not right here. what is filling the other 70 gb on my ipod?! the ipod says it is the section known as 'other'.
just to give you as much info as possible, i dont use itunes, i use winamp. i have opened all the hidden files on ipod control and it IS the folder 'music' that is taking up 100+GB, however i simply dont have this much media on my ipod! and its not the artwork, before anywone says it. so, please, can anyone help? :)

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
i know this problem has been talked about many times, but i have looked and looked and am yet to find a solution to my problem. so here goes.
i have a 120gb ipod classic, it has around 8000 songs and some videos, which in the end totals to around 50gb of media, yet my ipod is full. so somethings not right here. what is filling the other 70 gb on my ipod?! the ipod says it is the section known as 'other'.
just to give you as much info as possible, i dont use itunes, i use winamp. i have opened all the hidden files on ipod control and it IS the folder 'music' that is taking up 100+GB, however i simply dont have this much media on my ipod! and its not the artwork, before anywone says it. so, please, can anyone help? :)

Do you have anything stored on the iPod (as in using the iPod as a hard drive)?

Habitus :apple:

SuperGinge123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
im not sure what you mean by using it as a hard drive...
its just got my media on, nothing else really. no notes or anything...

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I wasn't aware that you could sync or add content to the iPod through Winamp...

What Habitus is referring to is Disk Mode. If the iPod appears in Disk Mode, that is it shows up in My Computer as a removable disk or on the Desktop in Finder on a Mac.

In cases like this the most assured solution will be to restore the iPod through iTunes and then get your music back on by syncing or manually managing it.

SuperGinge123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
ok, yes then. it is a removable disk :L i dont know how or why but it is. does that make any difference?
so, if i restore what happens exactly? like if i have all my music just in folders on the computer, does that get delelted too?
and also, i dont have itunes anymore. some whizz kid guy that i know manages my computer, and he said something was wrong with it and bassically he had to delete it. now i dont have the instalation disk thing, so is there any other way i can properlly restore? i dont really want itunes back if i can help it...
and im kinda scared to restore, so if someone could explain more on what happens exactly that would acctually be amazing :) just to calm my nerves haha.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
If the iPod shows up as a removable disk, it means that there could have been files or folders copied to it at some point, which would take up the Other space on the iPod hard drive. The only folders you will typically have visible in Explorer are Contacts, Calendars, Notes, and Photos. If there are any other folders, don't be afraid to dive in and see what they contain.

What restoring does.

If you restore the iPod, everything that is on it will be erased. If the songs are on your computer it should be relatively easy to get them back onto the iPod.

As far as reinstalling iTunes is concerned just download the new version from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download. It should be for version 9.0.2 and will install itself on your PC when you launch the executable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.