Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodymanp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
O.C. California
Hello,

I just purchased a domain name for my Mobile Me / iWeb site, and I can't figure out if there's a way to set the domain name to automatically add the "www" in the browser. My site is the only one I need to type in the "www" for in firefox, and it's annoying! The domain name is registered at Go Daddy, and Mobile Me is the host.

It works just fine if I type in the full http://www.domain.com address... should I just accept that I'll have to type it in?

Thanks in advance.

woodymanp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
O.C. California
Thanks!

The guide helped a lot! My domain name, however, is still one of the few if any sites I still have to type in ".com" for. I don't suppose there's a way around that?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The guide helped a lot! My domain name, however, is still one of the few if any sites I still have to type in ".com" for. I don't suppose there's a way around that?

How does the browser know it shouldn't add .net or .edu?

woodymanp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
O.C. California
Well, I only ask because it's the only website I have to define in Firefox. I can type in "macrumors" "amazon" "pbs" or any other website I can come up with, and Firefox automatically takes me there without typing the ".com" at the end. My domain name seems to be the only exception to that, and I'm wondering if it's a problem with the way I have it set up.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
As far as I know it's Google's "I'm feeling lucky" search that actually does that. And since your website is very young and (I dare assume) does not have very many visitors, Google does not use it to redirect you to the actual website when you just enter the domain name.

woodymanp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2009
O.C. California
You certainly assumed correctly! I'll just be happy that the thing works at all right now.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this, it's great that you take the time out of your day to help out... and I learned something, so know that you've been appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.