PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] iPad cases

Pages : [1] 2

Full of Win
Jan 31, 2010, 10:28 PM
The iPad and Man Bags, Man Purses, etc.

Our non Y chromosome friends have a bag for their pad(s), but the men don’t. I wonder if the iPad will precipitate a shift in our society and make it acceptable for men to carry purses? I know it sounds flippant at first, but I think there is could happen.

8CoreWhore
Jan 31, 2010, 10:35 PM
Men will use what we use now - messenger bags and backpacks.

MacDawg
Jan 31, 2010, 10:36 PM
A bag to carry it? Yes
I do that with my MBP now

A man-purse?
I don't think so

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

jav6454
Jan 31, 2010, 10:39 PM

Or shoulder bags, such thing as a man purse will not prevail.

ikimasu
Jan 31, 2010, 10:40 PM
Or you could hold it like a book or notepad in the old days - with your hands.:rolleyes:

MacDawg
Jan 31, 2010, 10:44 PM
Or you could hold it like a book or notepad in the old days - with your hands.:rolleyes:

Exactly
I think we will know more about things like that after we have held it, used it and carried for a while

But I don't think a man-purse is in my future regardless

Clix Pix
Jan 31, 2010, 10:45 PM
You know what? I am a female of the species but I really prefer carrying bags such as my beloved Jack Spade messenger bag that I picked up at the men's department at Bloomies a few years ago to toting fussy, gimmicky, overdone feminine purses.

If the advent of the iPad spawns more "man purses," I'm all for that and undoubtedly will snap up a few!

3N16MA
Jan 31, 2010, 10:46 PM
I will carry mine around in a bullet proof briefcase like a real man.

MacDawg
Jan 31, 2010, 10:48 PM
I will carry mine around in a bullet proof briefcase like a real man.

WWJD
What Would James (Bond) Do

Sketh
Jan 31, 2010, 10:49 PM
I have a "satchel" that I use for college. It fit my HP Mini perfectly, and I think the iPad should fill that gap quite nicely.

I've managed to ward off people calling it a man purse by wrapping a Indiana Jones-esque whip above it, that way it seems I'm carrying it out of necessity, and baddassery. Which I very well may be.

MacDawg
Jan 31, 2010, 10:51 PM
I've managed to ward off people calling it a man purse by wrapping a Indiana Jones-esque whip above it, that way it seems I'm carrying it out of necessity, and baddassery. Which I very well may be.

Baddassery, huh?
You don't actually SAY baddassery do you?
Cause I think it might take away from the aura you are creating
:)

iVoid
Jan 31, 2010, 10:59 PM
Or shoulder bags, such thing as a man purse will not prevail.

Shoulder bags or messenger bags are effectively man purses, except no one calls them that to avoid freaking out men afraid of looking feminine by carrying a purse. :)

NT1440
Jan 31, 2010, 11:00 PM
Drawstring bags that go on your back, you know, like the ones guys have been using for years....

Casiotone
Jan 31, 2010, 11:40 PM
"It's not a purse. It's European!"

jav6454
Feb 1, 2010, 12:39 AM
Shoulder bags or messenger bags are effectively man purses, except no one calls them that to avoid freaking out men afraid of looking feminine by carrying a purse. :)

Touché

"It's not a purse. It's European!"

Love the allusion

master-ceo
Feb 1, 2010, 12:47 AM
A bag to carry it? Yes
I do that with my MBP now

A man-purse?
I don't think so

I'll drink to that

(in my bag...ipad + mpc500)

Michael CM1
Feb 1, 2010, 12:55 AM
I already use a man purse, aka a computer carrying bag. I don't carry my MBP in it much, but it's too damn useful and I'm addicted to it like I was my backpack in college. So I think the man purse revolution started as notebooks got more affordable and popular. The iPad will probably just make it bigger.

roland.g
Feb 1, 2010, 12:59 AM
Expect a major redesign in cargo pants.

andrew upstairs
Feb 1, 2010, 01:03 AM
I will carry mine around in a bullet proof briefcase like a real man.Handcuffed to your wrist?

superstrikertwo
Feb 1, 2010, 01:28 AM
Handcuffed to your wrist?

What else do you think is in the "football"? :D

t0mat0
Feb 1, 2010, 04:42 AM
So was Colbert carrying a man bag inside his tux?

entatlrg
Feb 1, 2010, 04:47 AM
I already use a man purse, aka a computer carrying bag. I don't carry my MBP in it much, but it's too damn useful and I'm addicted to it like I was my backpack in college. So I think the man purse revolution started as notebooks got more affordable and popular. The iPad will probably just make it bigger.

what brand of bag do you have?

MacRy
Feb 1, 2010, 01:59 PM
You man bag haters need to embrace your inner purse......oh boy that just sounds wrong now i've typed it!

I've been toting a man bag (as we call them here in the UK) around for years and think nothing of it. I have a selection as it happens although my main one is a rather lovely Finnish gas mask bag (surely that scores some man points right there).

Chaos123x
Feb 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
What is gayer? a Fanny Pack or a Man Bag?

macdudechafic
Feb 1, 2010, 02:04 PM
the iPad also known as the iKotex, should be held in a girls purse..

wtf were apple thinking iPad? PAD?? PAD=KOTEX

lordhamster
Feb 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
I carry a Maxpedition Jumbo Every day, usually lugging my Asus EEE 1000HE netbook in it. The iPad will fit in it perfectly.
I just have so much junk I lug around on a daily basis I got sick of carrying everything in overstuffed pockets. Being a 32 year old married guy I just don't feel the need anymore to worry about my masculinity.

For some reason nobody has ever made fun of my "man purse"

http://the-gadgeteer.com/asset_cache/m/ma/maxpedition-jumbo-versapack2.jpg

Here is a link to my Review. http://tacticalgearhead.com/?p=575

mrgreen4242
Feb 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
I carry my messenger bag with me most places. It's an olive green "Jack Bauer" style affair and only get the occasional man purse joke. One thing I like about the iPad is that, with a nice case, it becomes more carry-able than a netbook, more akin to a notepad, so I actually may carry my bag less. Go figure!

rdrr
Feb 1, 2010, 02:23 PM
Mine will be naked and carried around in my hands. Also I am NOT going to buy one, I will make my wife go to the store to buy me a pad.

;)

Jinkst
Feb 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
iPad being successful or not is irrelevant now. The fact that it's creation brought up a topic title as funny as this was worth the millions spent on it. Nice work.

zapp
Feb 1, 2010, 03:30 PM
I carry my messenger bag with me most places. It's an olive green "Jack Bauer" style affair and only get the occasional man purse joke. One thing I like about the iPad is that, with a nice case, it becomes more carry-able than a netbook, more akin to a notepad, so I actually may carry my bag less. Go figure!

got my Jack Bauer olive green bag too, it rocks. No one dares make fun of the Jack Bauer bag. Of course putting a pad in it might change that.

puffnstuff
Feb 1, 2010, 03:32 PM
It's not a manpurse it's a satchel indian jones wore one. ;)

entatlrg
Feb 1, 2010, 07:18 PM
do you all get the same kicks when you talk about a pad of paper? :rolleyes:

mac jones
Feb 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
Why would you want to carry something like this around?.

I don't see it as around town tool. I use an iPhone for those things I don't need something like an iPad. (just don't need it)

Have to have a phone of course but only serious geeks will probably want to carry around this thing.

Just my opinion.

lordhamster
Feb 1, 2010, 09:17 PM
Why would you want to carry something like this around?.

I don't see it as around town tool. I use an iPhone for those things I don't need something like an iPad. (just don't need it)

Have to have a phone of course but only serious geeks will probably want to carry around this thing.

Just my opinion.

I often need to do work for customers. Answer emails etc. I think a VNC client plus the email would work out real well for me. This will be way better to deal with than the iphone for some things.

For music and checking the occasional email, I agree iPhone would be better.

Scorpio12345
Feb 1, 2010, 10:14 PM
Man bags are really common in the UK - especially in the big cities, so it isnt a problem for us ;)

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 1, 2010, 10:28 PM
With this case and the many, many, many third party cases that are likely to appear in the next two months, will you really need a purse for your iBook Reader?

musicpenguy
Feb 1, 2010, 10:36 PM
I just ordered my first ScotteVest - Hoodie in Cotton - and I talked to the ScotteVest people and the majority of their line will support the iPad and I really think ScotteVest will take off as more and more want to take their iPads around without a bag.

I'm super excited to try it out with my Macbook Air and then my iPad when they start shipping!! :)

Scottevest.com

gauchogolfer
Feb 1, 2010, 10:36 PM
I have a Tom Bihn bag that will be perfect for this (complete with 'treason tags').

hitekalex
Feb 1, 2010, 11:49 PM
Something like this would be quite nice for iPad:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.htm

3N16MA
Feb 1, 2010, 11:53 PM
Be cool like that loser Tom Brady:

http://averagemetrojoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/manpursetombradyygiselebundchen.jpg

RMXO
Feb 1, 2010, 11:56 PM

How about you having to asking that question. :D

I would carry my iPad in my SpireUSA Torq backpack.

http://www.spireusa.com/products/TQ8.htm

With this case and the many, many, many third party cases that are likely to appear in the next two months, will you really need a purse for your iBook Reader?

I can see Dayplanner like for the iPad like you showed.

IBradMac
Feb 2, 2010, 12:12 AM
This reminds me of flip phones. I can remember when the girls had them at first and men were reluctant to get one. Now, it seems no one is using the old skool candy bar phones (aka the old Nokias).

I can see your point FOW. :eek:

sumzero
Feb 2, 2010, 12:27 AM

This ^

Mike Macintosh
Feb 2, 2010, 01:00 AM
Oh God I hope not, I expect some sort of messenger bag though.

jav6454
Feb 2, 2010, 01:08 AM
I carry a Maxpedition Jumbo Every day, usually lugging my Asus EEE 1000HE netbook in it. The iPad will fit in it perfectly.
I just have so much junk I lug around on a daily basis I got sick of carrying everything in overstuffed pockets. Being a 32 year old married guy I just don't feel the need anymore to worry about my masculinity.

For some reason nobody has ever made fun of my "man purse"

... snip ...

Here is a link to my Review. http://tacticalgearhead.com/?p=575

I'll allow it:D Great man-purse;)

fobfob
Feb 2, 2010, 01:41 AM
I know this is going to get old fast but it still needs to be said:

"I don't have to change myself to fit the product, it fits me." -Jony Ive, 2010.

Apple needs to be held accountable for that video.

mrboston987
Feb 2, 2010, 01:41 AM
My g/f got me a Saddleback Leather Briefcase for Christmas.

Built like a tank and Hardly a man purse IMHO.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/79-Briefcases/products/1646-Leather-Briefcase-Dark-Coffee-Brown

iWoz
Feb 2, 2010, 01:57 AM
Cant wait to see what designs appear for the iPad wth regards to carrying the device

jav6454
Feb 2, 2010, 01:58 AM
Cant wait to see what designs appear for the iPad wth regards to carrying the device

Apple sack redesigned for iPad.

johnnyhow
Feb 2, 2010, 04:06 AM
I certainly hope not! I'd just chuck it in a backpack. I mean we've had netbooks for a few years and they're man bag size, yet man bag have not become popular as a result of them.

I also think the oldies (40s plus) will just carry their Ipad in a bummie (bum bag).

greygray
Feb 2, 2010, 04:07 AM

What is gayer? You mean which is more gay? :P

Chaos123x
Feb 2, 2010, 04:10 AM
What is gayer? You mean which is more gay? :P

No. I mean most queer.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Chaos123x
Feb 2, 2010, 04:13 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2498914984_1e41fa202c_m.jpg

eawmp1
Feb 2, 2010, 04:25 AM
Gotta conceal it somehow. It's embarassing to hve your pads in plain sight for everyone to see.

iWoz
Feb 2, 2010, 04:49 AM

I like this!!

TraceyS/FL
Feb 2, 2010, 07:15 AM
Well, i'm pondering this for my daughter. Something rugged that holds a book with it, but isn't huge either. She tends to stuff every stinking bag FULL that she gets - so i'm downsizing her! LOL!!

Timbuk2 Freestyle Netbook Messenger (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/laptop-messenger-style/freestyle-netbook-messenger#product=1-118101)

http://www.timbuk2.com/static/images/perspectives/585/freestylemessenger/spring2010/1_f_ball.potrero-ball.limeaide-ball.potrero.jpg

http://www.timbuk2.com/static/images/perspectives/585/freestylemessenger/spring2010/1_o_ball.potrero-ball.limeaide-ball.potrero.jpg

4DThinker
Feb 2, 2010, 07:54 AM
So was Colbert carrying a man bag inside his tux?I'll bet the wardrobe crew installed a custom iPad pocket inside his jacket for him.

lordhamster
Feb 2, 2010, 07:59 AM

Yeah because this case does nothing to hold the iPad while you are walking around town. I prefer to have my hands free.

anthonymoody
Feb 2, 2010, 08:10 AM
The Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad is about as close as I'll get to Man Purse. it's the vertical orientation that seems to tilt (oy) in favor of it looking like a purse. But I like it - it seems extremely light and practical. It's how I'm leaning for my all-iPad all-the-time world.

TM

wodeh
Feb 2, 2010, 08:10 AM
I, for one, would happily carry my iPad around in a svelte, leather messenger bag... unfortunately it's just going to end up slipping into the enormous bulging santa-sack of gadgets (and my MacBook Pro) that I lug to work every day.

I wonder if anyone will make 13" MacBook Pro (or MacBook) + iPad rectangular messenger bags designed to carry both devices comfortably.

lordhamster
Feb 2, 2010, 08:19 AM
The Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad is about as close as I'll get to Man Purse. it's the vertical orientation that seems to tilt (oy) in favor of it looking like a purse. But I like it - it seems extremely light and practical. It's how I'm leaning for my all-iPad all-the-time world.

TM

The Ristretto is a very nice looking bag. I almost got one for my Asus EEE, but I finally settled on the Maxpedition Jumbo which I'm going to use for the iPad when it comes out. The only problem with the Jumbo is it has no padding. On the plus side however it does have a Conceal Carry compartment. :)

musicpenguy
Feb 2, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'll bet the wardrobe crew installed a custom iPad pocket inside his jacket for him.

Yes!! - the ScotteVest is going to be huge for the iPad!!! :)

Can't wait to get mine in :)

Trek2100
Feb 2, 2010, 11:31 AM
I think the iPad will fit into my Coach clutch:D. If you are going to buy one you might as well get the best:)

mac jones
Feb 2, 2010, 11:44 AM

Yes I agree (the functional term here is many, many, (too many?)

I like my bags as light as I can get them. Plain cloth is great. I also have a zillion Timbuk2 bags as they are very rugged.

(the large Timbuk2 messenger is huge and very strong and will carry just about anything -very useful)

Note: the most masculine bags are probably the 'Jack sacs' (standard cloth army navy messengers-just avoid camouflage :D )
(Jack as in 'Jack Bower from '24' ....as you all know)

rdrr
Feb 4, 2010, 06:15 AM
When the women at work ask me if I have an ipad they can use, do I really want to pull it out of my purse? ;)

TallManNY
Mar 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
So will the iPad spawn an increase in Man Purses? The iPad is probably too large to fit in a coat pocket and with spring and summer coming that will be a moot point. I could see wanting to have it around when I'm out and about (the 3G model that is). It will fit easily in my briefcase, but I don't carry that on the weekends. So it will probably be a Man Bag for me. Oh the shame!

Clix Pix
Mar 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
http://www.sfbags.com/

The Muzetto (personal size) is just right for the iPad and would look casual, yet have a certain flair......

jedivulcan
Mar 14, 2010, 02:30 PM
I resent that... it's a messenger bag... not..... not a man purse.

danlovaj
Mar 14, 2010, 02:47 PM

...followed by a swift kick to the nuts...a la "Hangover" movie...lol

normwood
Mar 14, 2010, 02:47 PM
I just now picked up the newest generation Timbuk2 Classic messenger bag I. Size small just for this purpose. It has a simple sleeve inside that should be perfect for my 3G iPad when it arrives.

For the sake of full disclosure I already carry an older version of the same bag as a man bag but it doesn't have the built in sleeve.

Steve

Trek2100
Mar 14, 2010, 03:00 PM
Men in Europe have been carrying them (or used to) for years. Don't know if things have changed but men's trousers did not have rear pockets. Men's purses used to be popular here in the U.S. back in the 80's. I still have a Coach clutch and a Samsonite bag buried somewhere. I'll have to find them an check the size. Could be perfect for the iPad:D

flyguy206
Mar 14, 2010, 03:00 PM
i think this is all you need.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/assets/headers/0000/5278/jumper_1.jpg?1264634961

LucidPsychosis
Mar 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
Although I'd never pay that much for a bag, I find myself quite enamored with the Muzetto bag from that SFbags site.

Clix Pix
Mar 14, 2010, 03:12 PM
Someone on another thread had shared the URL and a photo of the Muzetto -- one look and I fell in love. Resistance was futile. Shortly after I placed my reservation on an iPad for pick up at my local Apple store I also went to the SF Bags site and placed an order for a Muzetto (personal) and also an iPad Smart Case......

Oh, by the way -- I'm a female, not a male, but that bag will look just dandy casually swinging from my shoulder. I hate fussy little purses and tend to carry messenger bag styles.

LucidPsychosis
Mar 14, 2010, 03:17 PM
Actually, if I could afford it I'd buy one, but right now I'm a jobless journalism student.

CristobalHuet
Mar 14, 2010, 03:19 PM
Someone on another thread had shared the URL and a photo of the Muzetto -- one look and I fell in love. Resistance was futile. Shortly after I placed my reservation on an iPad for pick up at my local Apple store I also went to the SF Bags site and placed an order for a Muzetto (personal) and also an iPad Smart Case......

Oh, by the way -- I'm a female, not a male, but that bag will look just dandy casually swinging from my shoulder. I hate fussy little purses and tend to carry messenger bag styles.

Problem I have with these cases is there's no way to make it "stand" like Apple's iPad case. I really like the Muzetto cases, but a case is useless to me if I can make my iPad sit horiziontally upright while I use my wireless keyboard.

aaaaah :(

MrAgileBeast
Mar 14, 2010, 03:51 PM
its a satchel. indiana jones has one.

Clix Pix
Mar 14, 2010, 03:53 PM
Problem I have with these cases is there's no way to make it "stand" like Apple's iPad case. I really like the Muzetto cases, but a case is useless to me if I can make my iPad sit horiziontally upright while I use my wireless keyboard.

aaaaah :(

The Muzetto bag is not meant to be a prop or a stand, it's meant to CARRY something in it......

Spudracer
Mar 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
That's right, it's a Versace satchel. A man's purse, a manly purse, for verile men like Indiana Jones or Boy George. Oh wait.....

CristobalHuet
Mar 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
The Muzetto bag is not meant to be a prop or a stand, it's meant to CARRY something in it......

Yeah I'm fully aware. Just wondering how I can get a Muzetto bag AND a stand and not go broke. ;)

dukebound85
Mar 14, 2010, 04:18 PM

It's a European Carry-All
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnKRbEPbItE

47 sec

robanga
Mar 14, 2010, 04:22 PM
I am so rarely without a backpack or computer bag, not an issue.

However bring on the man-purses

If one could design a front carrying harness, you could be a teletubbie.

Course one of the tubbies carries a purse as well....

wyneken
Mar 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
A somewhat manlier alternative (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=31&idcategory=4).

I am afraid of firearms, as well as being gay, but I think in general terms I would prefer to be thought of as someone who MIGHT be packing a Glock.

dukebound85
Mar 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
A somewhat manlier alternative (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=31&idcategory=4).

I am afraid of firearms, as well as being gay, but I think in general terms I would prefer to be thought of as someone who MIGHT be packing a Glock.

really? you that unsure of your masculinity?

Lamonster
Mar 14, 2010, 04:45 PM
:D
http://blog.ebags.com/wp-content/uploads/progressive_commercial_murse.jpg

WLS
Mar 14, 2010, 05:01 PM

The Muzetto (personal size) is just right for the iPad and would look casual, yet have a certain flair......

Yea that personal size one looks to be a great fit and has Ipod carry room and space for your phone plus a few other things. The black or brown fabric looks reasonable manly too. It would be high on my list when I get an iPad
It is a bit pricey though and if you can settle for a less expensive choice the sleeve is cool and matching and can still fit the personal bag

http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/waterfield_designs_adds_new_smart_case_and_slip_case_to_apple_ipad_line/

:cool:

magpie maniac
Mar 14, 2010, 05:09 PM

I'm not afraid of firearms, straight (but don't mind gays), and legally conceal a Glock 26 everywhere I go. I own a Maxpedition Jumbo, but don't carry it daily. It serves as a hiking sort of bag with emergency supplies.

That said, the Fatboy would probably be too small for an iPad.

iPadusr
Mar 14, 2010, 05:33 PM
I will buy something like this (http://www.cocooninnovations.com/product_info.php?cat_id=62&product_id=194).

http://www.cocooninnovations.com/alt_itempics/556_xlarge.jpg

jazz1
Mar 14, 2010, 06:04 PM

God, I hope not. I've got one ordered from Booq and I've been eyeing up the Bihn and Waterfield Designs offerings The problem I see is that the iPad is so small, and the bags will follow those small dimensions. How are these things not going to be mistaken for Murses? Maybe I'll wear a Jack Bauer mask ;)

PsyD4Me
Mar 14, 2010, 06:10 PM
i dont plan on carrying the Ipad with me around like a wallet, i think that's getting extreme...and it becomes a good target for street theft

TraceyS/FL
Mar 14, 2010, 06:48 PM
I just now picked up the newest generation Timbuk2 Classic messenger bag I. Size small just for this purpose. It has a simple sleeve inside that should be perfect for my 3G iPad when it arrives.

For the sake of full disclosure I already carry an older version of the same bag as a man bag but it doesn't have the built in sleeve.

Steve

We have the netbook version coming this week.... (for 2 females, 1 14 and the other 41)

WLS
Mar 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
God, I hope not. I've got one ordered from Booq and I've been eyeing up the Bihn and Waterfield Designs offerings The problem I see is that the iPad is so small, and the bags will follow those small dimensions. How are these things not going to be mistaken for Murses? Maybe I'll wear a Jack Bauer mask ;)

Put a biohazard emblem on it. ;)

NotTempted
Mar 14, 2010, 08:56 PM

+1

Ill have to get a whip with my iPad, the perfect accessory.:p

gr8ful
Mar 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
Anyone know of an iPad bag that is more like a small backpack that can easily be worn over one shoulder? I'm not too keen on the messenger bag look.

SteveSparks
Mar 14, 2010, 09:54 PM
LOL. Let the case acquisition commence.

epoche
Mar 14, 2010, 09:59 PM
I'm not afraid of firearms, straight (but don't mind gays), and legally conceal a Glock 26 everywhere I go. I own a Maxpedition Jumbo, but don't carry it daily. It serves as a hiking sort of bag with emergency supplies.

That said, the Fatboy would probably be too small for an iPad.

I recently bought the Maxexpedition Jumbo. Have CCW and carry XD 9mm tactical in rear zippered compartment. Center section will accommodate my 64 GB iPad wifi when it arrives on the 3rd of April. Bag also holds point and shoot Nikon, small binoculars, Med Kit, writing pad, wallet, etc.

Jumbo is a really fine carry bag. Wide shoulder strap makes for a very comfortable carry despite the total weight.

JS82189
Mar 14, 2010, 11:14 PM
Well I have a backpack nowadays since schoolbooks are too heavy for a messenger bag digging into my shoulder...

I do have a pretty nice bag tho, but I'm not exactly the guy who sits at starbucks or something

macduke
Mar 14, 2010, 11:43 PM
I will buy something like this (http://www.cocooninnovations.com/product_info.php?cat_id=62&product_id=194).

Yeah I've been considering this one also. I think it has a nice feature set. Plus--with the iPhone in there on display, it won't be confused with a purse.

wyneken
Mar 15, 2010, 06:32 AM
Anyone know of an iPad bag that is more like a small backpack that can easily be worn over one shoulder? I'm not too keen on the messenger bag look.

Fatboy Versipack (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=31&idcategory=4).

Though the manufacturer looks a little scary.

fjfjfjfj
Mar 15, 2010, 06:44 AM
:D
http://blog.ebags.com/wp-content/uploads/progressive_commercial_murse.jpg

LOL

designgeek
Mar 15, 2010, 06:46 AM
My gay roommate has one of these "messenger bags." I refer to it as a "fag bag" considering his circumstances. I think I'm hilarious. He does not.:p

NT1440
Mar 15, 2010, 07:01 AM

Kinda screams "steal me" don't you think? :confused:

anthonymoody
Mar 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
The Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad seems a great choice too. I'm wavering b/t it and the Muzetto.

elmo151
Mar 15, 2010, 10:20 AM
mine will be the Kifaru Koala (https://www.kifaru.net/koala.html)

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz26/Elmo151/Gear/koala_gunpanel2.jpg

substitute your iPad for the gun!

I bought it as a camera bag but it will most certainly be useful for both

applesupergeek
Mar 15, 2010, 10:41 AM
Something that has not been mentioned, an ipad sleeve that attaches to the inside lining of a jacket, sounds strange or far fetched, but it could be workable.

pagansoul
Mar 15, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have an Macbook 13" carry bag/sleeve sitting in my closet since I gave my Macbook to my mother and got a 15" Pro. I guess I can recycle it as an ipad bag, more than enough room.

AK10R
Mar 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
One of those bags and a pair of yellow Crocks on your feet = Metrosexual :eek:

If I get one I’m going to wear it around my neck like Flavor Flav…….

applesupergeek
Mar 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
I have an Macbook 13" carry bag/sleeve sitting in my closet since I gave my Macbook to my mother and got a 15" Pro. I guess I can recycle it as an ipad bag, more than enough room.

Hey pagan, do you think you could do something with that avatar, not everyone's cup of tea to see a young girl's monstrously deformed face.

MrAgileBeast
Mar 15, 2010, 11:41 AM

yeah and its cheap. ima get it. thanks!

random person
Mar 15, 2010, 11:45 AM

Thumbs up on personal size Muzetto -- I ordered mine the day the iPad dimensions came out and it is the schnizzle! Very well made, very cool looking, should work perfectly for the iPad.

MatthewStorm
Mar 15, 2010, 11:51 AM
yeah and its cheap. ima get it. thanks!

This seems to be the only non-bulky one with a strap. Me likee.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
We have the netbook version coming this week.... (for 2 females, 1 14 and the other 41)

They showed up today. I'm very happy - provided the iPad fits in the pocket. The paper one i made up fits - but it wasn't full size. I need to check it myself later.

But i can put what i need in the other pocket - which is good!!

brotato
Mar 15, 2010, 12:30 PM
I just ordered the Caselogic SNMB-15 from amazon. only $30 and it will hold my ipad and school work just fine.
http://pictures.danielspalding.com/51jxboNdkIL._SS500_.jpg

And the metal clip on the strap also works as a bottle opener! :p

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014K0OSI

yankintx
Mar 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
i dont plan on carrying the Ipad with me around like a wallet, i think that's getting extreme...and it becomes a good target for street theft

Bingo!

I like the IPAD idea and actually ordered one for my son ( he's buying it) , but I certainly don't see it as a whole new lifestyle or something that I would feel the need to take out in public and show off as so many of the geeks do at Starbucks already.

As if surfing the net is something new anyway!

wyneken
Mar 15, 2010, 05:18 PM

Oh my god, I feel all tingly. From the vendor's site:

Rip, grab & fire. In one fluid motion, your concealed pistol is out in a flash. In fact, we think the Koala is one of the fastest conceal-carries available, while allowing your handgun to be safe, secure and hidden at all times. Ideal for urban/close quarters work, or great for backcounty insurance as well.

Here in rural Maine we can certainly use some "backcountry insurance." My main concern is ancillary expenses. Can I afford enough Carhart clothing to make it accessorize well? And am I really THAT gay?

Jaro65
Mar 15, 2010, 05:34 PM
The booq iPad bag doesn't look bad: http://www.booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.447/.f?sc=19&category=4636

pvmacguy
Mar 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
I really want to get the muzzeto personal, I just wonder if it could fit a couple small books and a notebook when I'm at school with the iPad. :confused:

stoster38
Mar 15, 2010, 05:44 PM
What do you all think about this case. I think it looks pretty good plus sounds like the iPad will be well protected.

http://www.hardcandycases.com/ipad-hardsleeve.html

Just need more details on when it will ship, size, and weight which they don't have available yet. I emailed them last week to get this info but they did not have it yet even though the case is suppose to ship sometime this month and we're already half way through the month.

decson
Mar 15, 2010, 05:51 PM
I really want to get the muzzeto personal, I just wonder if it could fit a couple small books and a notebook when I'm at school with the iPad. :confused:

I would say it depends on size of books and if you are going to use a sleeve or case? I am looking at the smart case - looks kewl :-) and would say I could get a thin paper back with the 1" case in there easily and a thin notepad in the back or front pocket no probs.

G

raremage
Mar 15, 2010, 05:53 PM

Thank God, finally a justification that men can live with!

jedolley
Mar 15, 2010, 05:57 PM
Thank God, finally a justification that men can live with!

Jack Bauer too!

http://www.powerofbauer.com/

jedolley
Mar 15, 2010, 06:30 PM
There are a lot of nice looking bags. I'm a fan of Timbuk2, and have a custom order classic messenger. Not only is the quality of their bags superb, but their customer service is fantastic. When I ordered my BYOB, there was a slight mistake with the key tether and they sent me a whole new bag and didn't want the first one back!

With that said, I leaning towards getting a sling type bag like this http://www.swissarmy.com/TravelGear/Pages/Product.aspx?category=la3&product=30372901&. I want one that just big enough to hold the iPad in a sleeve or case, and can also allow for some other small items.

Manatee
Mar 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
This is what I've been thinking since the buzz first began over the iPad. We'll want to carry them with us, and they won't fit in a pocket. Thus... man-purse.

I guess I'll start with something that looks conservative and business-like, and move to more interesting containers as my comfort level increases.

Hammie
Mar 15, 2010, 07:55 PM
I like the Muzzeto Personal, but I also like the LV Daniel MM.

http://www.fashionlimb.com/prodimages/media/N58029.jpg

I already have the iPhone case. :shrug:

s1m
Mar 15, 2010, 08:46 PM
I will aim for the Tumi -> http://intl.tumi.com/t-tech-empire/top-zip-cross-body/

Should be big enough and good for a day trip interstate when I wont take my laptop...

MrAgileBeast
Mar 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
im waiting for a nice incase hipster bag :D

Mr. Biggles
Mar 15, 2010, 09:36 PM
Timbuk2 Ballistic Sling Shot Netbook (10") Waist Pack is close to doable.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414%2BAiUADGL._SL500_.jpg

skestes
Mar 15, 2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.ebags.com/maxpedition/malaga_gearslinger/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=137189

plus room for an iPhone and a small DSLR. The PALS webbing allows for some creative pocket customization.

pvmacguy
Mar 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
I would say it depends on size of books and if you are going to use a sleeve or case? I am looking at the smart case - looks kewl :-) and would say I could get a thin paper back with the 1" case in there easily and a thin notepad in the back or front pocket no probs.

G

Thank you! :) hmm I may need the larger 13" one but the price just makes me :eek:

ermir4444
Mar 16, 2010, 12:34 AM
This would be the perfect one.

http://www.louisvuitton.com/uk/flash/index.jsp?direct1=cate_m&direct2=cat10001&direct3=cat1410015&direct4=cat1410028&direct5=prod310109&focus=true&campaign=seo/UK/EN/prod

iPad + Louis Vuitton = Getting laid Guaranteed

NewSc2
Mar 16, 2010, 03:36 AM

http://www.louisvuitton.com/uk/flash/index.jsp?direct1=cate_m&direct2=cat10001&direct3=cat1410015&direct4=cat1410028&direct5=prod310109&focus=true&campaign=seo/UK/EN/prod

Getting laid by guys or by girls...

I'm pretty sure spending more on your bag than on your iPad docks off a ton of man points.

SchneiderMan
Mar 16, 2010, 04:38 AM
I can't wait to see what Incase and iSkin will come up with, and yes i think Griffin and Waterfield currently have the best looking cases.

wyneken
Mar 16, 2010, 06:44 AM
I'm pretty sure spending more on your bag than on your iPad docks off a ton of man points.

Maybe you could pack an extra-long bluetooth keyboard, so it's bulgy and all.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 16, 2010, 06:57 AM

Really? This is the single scene i have to look forward to after this divorce? :o

I'd probably run from any guy carting this bag.... just as an FYI :cool:

But I like some of the others posted recently, and a few I wouldn't run from the guys if they were carrying them. :D

peterdevries
Mar 16, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'll go for the Hard Graft collection from Austria:

http://shop.hardgraft.com/product/ipad-case

Style and function....

peterdevries
Mar 16, 2010, 07:03 AM
Kinda screams "steal me" don't you think? :confused:

That thing is soo ugly. I would steal the iPhone and iPad and leave the bag...

paulyras
Mar 16, 2010, 07:18 AM

substitute your iPad for the gun!

I bought it as a camera bag but it will most certainly be useful for both
Just out of curiosity, exactly what kid of situations require both a passport / airline ticket holder and a pistol with 4 extra magazines? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, it just seems like a really bizarre feature set?!?!

wyneken
Mar 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, exactly what kid of situations require both a passport / airline ticket holder and a pistol with 4 extra magazines?

Haha! One does wonder about this.

Maxpedition does this too with their products -- puts up a photo of some rugged-looking bag with a Glock sticking out of it. I suspect that the idea is not really to sell a bag for gun-toting as to sell the IDEA that this is the kind of bag a totally bad-ass guy would carry around that MIGHT, for all you know, have a gun in it. Which is an interesting way to market a man-purse.

darngooddesign
Mar 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
Something that has not been mentioned, an ipad sleeve that attaches to the inside lining of a jacket, sounds strange or far fetched, but it could be workable.

Unless its summer.

Just out of curiosity, exactly what kid of situations require both a passport / airline ticket holder and a pistol with 4 extra magazines? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, it just seems like a really bizarre feature set?!?!
Lets say you travel AND carry.

ScrewTheDaisies
Mar 16, 2010, 10:59 AM
I have this, from Amazon:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31kPq1Yk71L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
LICENCE 71195 Zippy small bag.

I wanted the smallest bag possible (so I wouldn't start carrying all kinds of junk around, just because I had the room)--but at the same time, I wanted to be able to carry the BT keyboard with me if I needed to (overnight trips vs. reading ebooks in the dentist's waiting room, for example). This solved the problem. When I carry just the iPad, it'll be a nice, slim bag. When I need to carry the keyboard, too, the bag unzips around the outside to expand.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BfgwdTFxL._AA300_.jpg

And it's fake black leather, so it matches my fake black leather jacket. Bonus. :cool: (Also comes in fake brown leather.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BIL4%2B%2BWNL._AA300_.jpg

darngooddesign
Mar 16, 2010, 11:38 AM

Only if you see no value in nice things.

LOL are people really still using the word "man points"?

jedolley
Mar 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
Only if you see no value in nice things.

LOL are people really still using the word "man points"?

There are plenty of nice bags at reasonable prices. With the Louis Vuitton, you are mostly paying for the name/logo. Something expensive and from an exclusive name brand doesn't always make it better. Just means you like to blow wads of cash for attention.

darngooddesign
Mar 16, 2010, 02:00 PM
There are plenty of nice bags at reasonable prices. With the Louis Vuitton, you are mostly paying for the name/logo. Something expensive and from an exclusive name brand doesn't always make it better. Just means you like to blow wads of cash for attention.

Of course buying an expensive brand means you are paying for the name, but regardless of whether you see value in that it in no way diminishes your masculinity.

If you make a significant living, wads of cash has a different meaning than if you are pulling in a lot less, and in that scenario a LV bag is not blowing a wad of cash... its just buying a bag you like.

jedolley
Mar 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Of course buying an expensive brand means you are paying for the name, but regardless of whether you see value in that it in no way diminishes your masculinity.

If you make a significant living, wads of cash has a different meaning than if you are pulling in a lot less, and in that scenario a LV bag is not blowing a wad of cash... its just buying a bag you like.

:rolleyes:

First, I never mentioned anything about masculinity...

There are still nicer bags (even ones mentioned in this thread) that just happen to cost less. There is no value to be found in buying an LV bag outside the brand/logo (IMO). Cost really isn't the issue for me... When it comes to bags/cases, I look at style, features/options, and quality. LV bags probably have quality, and style, but their options/features are lacking compared to other alternatives.

ImaVeggie
Mar 17, 2010, 07:24 AM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/466/tokyobaynyloexpress.jpg

This is a TokyoBay Nylo Express. It's Nylon mostly with the front flap of Faux Leather. I got this bag for my Kindle DX; hoping the Apple Case will fit. I'm a woman who doesn't like big pocketbooks.

http://www.ebags.com/tokyobay/nylo_express_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=134165

ugp
Mar 17, 2010, 10:32 AM

So does Joy Behar.

darngooddesign
Mar 17, 2010, 11:29 AM

Read the post I was initially responding to.

NotTempted
Mar 17, 2010, 11:38 AM
Bring this with your man-purse (Satchel!!) and you should be ok:)http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg176/darthredwolf/Weapons/Ranged/Bullwhip.jpg

jedolley
Mar 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
Bring this with your man-purse (Satchel!!) and you should be ok:)http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg176/darthredwolf/Weapons/Ranged/Bullwhip.jpg

And one of these...

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/635/fedora.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/i/fedora.jpg/)

MrAgileBeast
Mar 17, 2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.roughreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/man-satchel.jpg

yeah i like this look

elmo151
Mar 17, 2010, 02:28 PM

Kifaru makes gear for law enforcement and military. Most of their gear goes to the sandbox [ Iran/Afganistan ]

I got my bag to use as a camera bag that does not look like a camera bag. It will also be able to carry my ipad

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz26/Elmo151/Gear/koala_main.jpg

Hammie
Mar 17, 2010, 09:05 PM
I like the Muzzeto Personal, but I also like the LV Daniel MM.

http://www.fashionlimb.com/prodimages/media/N58029.jpg

I already have the iPhone case. :shrug:

Getting laid by guys or by girls...

Really? This is the single scene i have to look forward to after this divorce? :o

I'd probably run from any guy carting this bag.... just as an FYI :cool:

But I like some of the others posted recently, and a few I wouldn't run from the guys if they were carrying them. :D

There are still nicer bags (even ones mentioned in this thread) that just happen to cost less. There is no value to be found in buying an LV bag outside the brand/logo (IMO). Cost really isn't the issue for me... When it comes to bags/cases, I look at style, features/options, and quality. LV bags probably have quality, and style, but their options/features are lacking compared to other alternatives.

FYI... The first bag I posted is a Louis Vuitton bag. I love the Graphite Damier style. My wife also thinks it is a very masculine style. A bag in their Utah leather line would also be very nice. Unless you know the brand, either one would not scream high end designer bag.

danlovaj
Mar 17, 2010, 09:11 PM

yeah i like this look

lol....and remember he did get some at the end of the movie.

funkyc
Mar 18, 2010, 04:33 AM

yeah i like this look

omg that bag would be perfect for the ipad! anyone know what brand it is?

lol :rolleyes:

stealthman1
Mar 18, 2010, 10:38 PM
If you want to get some standing outside the movie...I suggest the following;
Berluti Graduate PM, $2000
http://www.berluti.com/miniSite/images/Sacs/PhotosZoom/graduate-pm.jpg

Berluti Terre Neuve, $2000
http://www.berluti.com/miniSite/images/Sacs/PhotosZoom/terreneuve_f.jpg

Berluti Armure, $2000
http://www.berluti.com/miniSite/images/Sacs/PhotosZoom/armure_f.jpg

Berluti Insouciant, $2000
http://www.berluti.com/miniSite/images/Sacs/PhotosZoom/Insouciant_f.jpg

Berluti Petite Sacoche, $1450 (just a bit tight, but I bet for a grand more...they'd make one to fit.:rolleyes:
http://www.berluti.com/miniSite/images/Sacs/PhotosZoom/petitesacoche_f.jpg

danlovaj
Mar 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
omg that bag would be perfect for the ipad! anyone know what brand it is?

lol :rolleyes:

Made by Roots (http://canada.roots.com/LeatherHandbags/VillageBagVintageTribeLeather/18019086,default,pd.html?cgid=leatherFlatBags&selectedColor=2402&cm_mmc=Typepad-_-Promotion-_-Village+Bag+in+black+Prince-_-Man+Purse+Post), apparently was already their #1 bag before the movie. It looks like they also make some other (http://canada.roots.com/leather_laptop_bags/leatherLaptopBags,default,sc.html) nice looking bags too. Don't look at the sticker price though!

danterner
Mar 19, 2010, 10:48 AM
What I would like, and what I have yet to see, is something in the style of a gun holster worn on the upper back. Think something like a leather gun holster with an iPad-sized pouch, where the pouch has an opening at the top. Or like a back-worn sword holster. The iPad fits into the holster and the holster is worn much like a backpack would be. When you want to access your iPad, you just reach over your shoulder, grab it, and pull it from the pouch. Done? Slip it back over your shoulder and into the pouch. All without needing to remove the pouch. If it sits high enough on the upper back, and is a slim enough design, it shouldn't impede sitting in a chair.

Anyone make something like that yet?

WLS
Mar 19, 2010, 11:10 AM
What I would like, and what I have yet to see, is something in the style of a gun holster worn on the upper back. Think something like a leather gun holster with an iPad-sized pouch, where the pouch has an opening at the top. Or like a back-worn sword holster. The iPad fits into the holster and the holster is worn much like a backpack would be. When you want to access your iPad, you just reach over your shoulder, grab it, and pull it from the pouch. Done? Slip it back over your shoulder and into the pouch. All without needing to remove the pouch. If it sits high enough on the upper back, and is a slim enough design, it shouldn't impede sitting in a chair.

Anyone make something like that yet?

I hope not. It screams "I've never been laid and never will be!"
:eek:

ugp
Mar 19, 2010, 12:58 PM
Alan can pull off the man purse though. I mean after all he's... Alan. And he is ready to let the dogs out.

Toadkillerdog
Mar 19, 2010, 09:36 PM
Just bought that Muzetto personal version. Looks like it will work for me very well as a daily "tote" at work. Tired of essentially carrying a big gym bag to work whether its leather or not... Briefcase too cumbersome and inflexible.
Can fit my iPhone, external battery recharge, medication case, iPad and whatever documents I need easily in this puppy. Great overnight carryall for me when I'm on call, too. No, I'm not carrying change of clothes in there.

stealthman1
Mar 20, 2010, 01:05 AM
I did too, thought the Berluti stuff was tempting...:rolleyes: I have several Waterfield Designs pieces now and I can't say enough about their stuff. And it doesn't hurt that they're American Made. Put an American back to work!:)

yezza
Mar 20, 2010, 05:45 AM
I hope not. It screams "I've never been laid and never will be!"
:eek:

Lol!:D

bigdog5142
Mar 20, 2010, 10:35 AM
I've really been looking at the Booq cases. I'm fairly impressed. I've got a Swiss Army business travel system for my MBP and I can carry my iPad in a sleeve in it. I've also got a Swiss Army backpack that will allow me to travel light while still carrying books that I need for study. Finally, I have a leather Wells Fargo Bank (used to work there and I got it as a prize for sales) that can allow me to travel even lighter and carry the iPad in the sleeve. I've been looking at zipper and slide in sleeves and I think the Booq one is the best. The sleeve has a hard front to protect the iPad screen, while most sleeves and zipper cases are just neoprene. I'm pretty sure the picture and link below is what I'm going with.

http://www.booqbags.com/c.579293/site/BSKXS-BLR/BSKXS-BLR1s.jpg

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/iPad-cases/boa-skin-xs-black-iPad-sleeve

Robin4
Mar 20, 2010, 11:08 AM
I am traveling with a Rick Steves travel bag, it has gone through some rough handling for the past 4 years and it still looks like brand new. It is lightweight and has several pockets. There is one in the back pocket that is especially padded and I know it will work well for me.

Another bag which might work even better is this one

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/content/pop_detail_bg-vg.htm

The price is reasonable and Rick's travel bags are used by men and women alike.

TxMacAddict
Apr 2, 2010, 01:36 AM
Anybody have any pics of the incase cases for iPad? Best Buy has the skus/prices listed but no word yet from incase. I will likely be returning the 10.2" incase netbook sleeve I bought for the iPad after seeing the leak but where are the pics?

Abyssgh0st
Apr 2, 2010, 01:40 AM
Honestly I don't think pictures exist; yet. I'll be able to post some tonight around midnight, assuming I can find them. I'm curious myself, though.

jtgreen86
Apr 2, 2010, 01:54 AM
There are a ton of cases pictured here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/accessories/ipad

Incase has cases on pages 2 and 3.

Revelation78
Apr 2, 2010, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry, out of all of those listed in that link - Apple still has the best looking case, IMHO of course.

jtgreen86
Apr 2, 2010, 02:12 AM
The only other one I'd even consider would be the incipio feather since I have one on my phone but I'd probably still get (and plan on getting one Saturday) the apple case to cover the screen.

Abyssgh0st
Apr 2, 2010, 02:13 AM
There are a ton of cases pictured here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/accessories/ipad

Incase has cases on pages 2 and 3.

Not sure where you see Incase anywhere on there? I'm only seeing Incipio, nothing Incase on their site at all.

jtgreen86
Apr 2, 2010, 02:15 AM
I.... can't read... :( My bad.

Abyssgh0st
Apr 2, 2010, 02:20 AM
I.... can't read... :( My bad.

Haha it's alright. :D

I think the OP is referring to the Incase cases that I leaked, and I've looked all around and can't find anything else about them besides what I know..

Alchematron
Apr 2, 2010, 02:30 AM
No word from incase yet

http://goincase.com/blog/2010/01/28/incase-for-ipad

A black silicone hardshell from these guys would be bitchen

Abyssgh0st
Apr 2, 2010, 02:32 AM
No word from incase yet

http://goincase.com/blog/2010/01/28/incase-for-ipad

A black silicone hardshell from these guys would be bitchen

Their SKUs have been in the Best Buy system for a few days now..

The two Incase items for $39.99 are both Neoprene sleeves, most likely alternating cover. The Incase item for $49.99 is a 'Book Jacket.'

Source: Me.

saving107
Apr 2, 2010, 02:59 AM
Anybody have any pics of the incase cases for iPad? Best Buy has the skus/prices listed but no word yet from incase. I will likely be returning the 10.2" incase netbook sleeve I bought for the iPad after seeing the leak but where are the pics?

I really want an Incase Neoprene Sleeve case for my iPad, and I remember reading a report that said that best buy had some SKUs for it in their system, so I'm planning on buying the Apple Case for my iPad (if they have any available) on saturday, then I'm going to drive 1/2 mile to best buy to see if they have an incase case available, if not, I'll just keep the Apple one.

Edit:
I just visited the link for iLounge, yeah, I'm going to wait to buy a case now. They have some really nice cases, but some of my favorites have TBD, so I'm going to wait.

mrgreen4242
Apr 2, 2010, 09:52 AM
Anyone do any detailed writeups about the Apple iPad case yet? It's been mentioned in passing, but haven't seen anything specifically about just the case yet. Some of the people who saw it at the January announcement event thought it a little cheap feeling etc, but I would like to see what they think about production versions and also it's overall functionality after having it for a few days...

Mark Booth
Apr 2, 2010, 09:57 AM
I wish my pre-ordred iPad 3G/64GB was being delivered tomorrow just like the WiFi models! However, since it won't be here until the end of the month, the one really nice consolation prize is that it give me 3-4 weeks to decide on which case to buy! And all of the WiFi-only folks will make that process much easier. There will be LOTS of reviews by the end of April!

I expect to be able to buy the case I decided on a few days before my iPad arrives. That is, if the WiFi-only folks don't create a shortage of stock on the one I want! :)

Mark

Unprocessed1
Apr 2, 2010, 11:00 AM
I want to get the official ipad case, mainly because it seems perfect for typing.

But I'm worried that

a) it won't fold back all the way to let you use it to go on safari and read comfortably
b) it won't be available in stores or will sell out quickly tomorrow

What case are you all getting?

Mitchrapp
Apr 2, 2010, 11:02 AM
I want to get the official ipad case, mainly because it seems perfect for typing.

But I'm worried that

a) it won't fold back all the way to let you use it to go on safari and read comfortably

Isn't there only one?

Unprocessed1
Apr 2, 2010, 11:03 AM
Isn't there only one?

3rd party cases, although can't seem to find any that let you type on it comfortably.

Mitchrapp
Apr 2, 2010, 11:04 AM
3rd party cases, although can't seem to find any that let you type on it comfortably.

I'm getting the one from Apple then.

OneMike
Apr 2, 2010, 11:05 AM
I was worrying about a also. Any confirmation on this? From the pics looks like it can go either way

pee cee hater
Apr 2, 2010, 11:06 AM
I bought the Apple case and also bought a zippered case that the iPad and the Apple case should fit in. I like the leather folio cases from Griffin Technology but I don't care for the little tab that keeps it closed.

tac22
a)... i don't know what your talking about, it fold back all the way, theres just a little stub on the back that lets you hook the cover on it allowing you to prop it up in different positions

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,l%253D249698%2526a%253D249692,00.asp

b) who knows, i'm thinking the same thing, if they run out at the apple store i'm going to then i might stop by a best buy, cuz maybe along with the 15 ipads they got 15 cases and not everybody wanted one...

mj1108
I'm getting the Apple one until I find a 3rd party one I like...

jedolley
Apr 2, 2010, 11:07 AM
Many cases discussed in this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860208

One similar to the apple case (in terms of stance options) is the Macally BookStand. http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=320. It's listed at $50 on their site, but Macmall and Provantage will be selling them for under $40 when they get their stock in.

Chupa Chupa
Apr 2, 2010, 11:07 AM
$10 generic case logic netbook case. I'd rather spend the extra money on more useful things like b/t keyboard or iWork.

Unprocessed1
Apr 2, 2010, 11:08 AM
a)... i don't know what your talking about, it fold back all the way, theres just a little stub on the back that lets you hook the cover on it allowing you to prop it up in different positions

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,1206,l%253D249698%2526a%253D249692,00.asp

b) who knows, i'm thinking the same thing, if they run out at the apple store i'm going to then i might stop by a best buy, cuz maybe along with the 15 ipads they got 15 cases and not everybody wanted one...

There were some grumblings it may only be able to fold as a stand, not fold all the way back. I sure hope it can fold all the way back. There were no pictures showing that it can, but it would only make sense to have that "ability"

JohnnyQuest
Apr 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
In some thread, there was mention of Best Buy having some Incase cases for the iPad. So I'll see what those are like in comparison to the Apple case.

tac22
Apr 2, 2010, 11:11 AM
There were some grumblings it may only be able to fold as a stand, not fold all the way back. I sure hope it can fold all the way back. There were no pictures showing that it can, but it would only make sense to have that "ability"

I was trying to find the pic i saw, but it fold all the way back, it just has a nub that catches the front cover to hold it in the stand place, otherwise it fold all the way so it lies flat

al256
This case is really tempting me.. http://www.marware.com/Eco-Vue-for-iPad

Sleazy E
i am going to be getting the apple case

msduncan
Apr 2, 2010, 11:12 AM
I guess there are no case reviews? I too was interested.

rkdiddy
Apr 2, 2010, 11:42 AM
It will be interesting to see if the case is available at the Apple store tomorrow.

It would make sense that the store has all of the accessories available - if not, that would translate into a missed opportunity/revenue.

jimbo1mcm
Apr 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
One of the reviewers stated that you have to remove the case to place it into the dock. Sounds like a poor design.

tivoboy
Apr 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
there are a BUNCH of case reviews over at ilounge.com

Timothy
Apr 2, 2010, 12:11 PM
He he he…

I've carried a so-called man bag for over a decade, and I can't believe how many people are made uncomfortable by that fact. I get about a comment a week with raised eyebrows as though I have sinned against culture in some way.

Well…I think the iPad is inspiring a whole new generation of man bag wearers, and I won't be so alone anymore.

Welcome, friends. :-)

jedolley
Apr 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
there are a BUNCH of case reviews over at ilounge.com

I think most of them are previews. They couldn't possibly review a case without the iPad to test it out.

nando2323
Apr 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
He he he…

I've carried a so-called man bag for over a decade, and I can't believe how many people are made uncomfortable by that fact. I get about a comment a week with raised eyebrows as though I have sinned against culture in some way.

Well…I think the iPad is inspiring a whole new generation of man bag wearers, and I won't be so alone anymore.

ummmm yeah still gay. :D

santaliqueur
Apr 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
I can't believe how many people are made uncomfortable by that fact.

Why do you assume THEY are made uncomfortable? Some people just like to make fun of things.

rtay
Apr 2, 2010, 12:18 PM
yeah i agree, still gay. wear a backpack if its that hard to carry it in your hands.

PowerGamerX
Apr 2, 2010, 12:19 PM

Whats wrong with being gay? Seriously, the homophobia in this country is remarkable. I'm not gay, but I see nothing wrong with people that are. I do however see a problem in using ones sexual orientation as an insult.

Also, I carry a man-bag sometimes too.

frunkis54
Apr 2, 2010, 12:20 PM

rofl

Timothy

:-)

I know, right? ;-)

Seriously, though, it's amusing how much a simple act of carrying a bag challenges people. Americans are so insecure in their own skin, it seems.

I'm not gay, but I don't consider being thought of as gay as a slight in any way. In the end, the discussion usually says more about the person who is uncomfortable than it says about me.

I usually just tell people I'm not gay, I'm Italian. Now, I can just tell them I own an iPad. Then they'll be able to categorize me and move along without having to question their own world view. :-)

Eye4Desyn
My first choice is the one being done by Hard Graft. It's beautifully made and plenty functional for my needs as far as I can tell from the early pics. However, the wait continues until sometime later this month (like other things around here - ref. to iPad 3G shipping and delivery) for more details and pricing. My second choice is the Macally Bookstand being sold at MacMall. I'll probably get both in the end.

CJS7070
Apr 2, 2010, 12:21 PM
I don't think it's gay or anything, but that doesn't mean that once the iPad is released you're going to get any fewer comments. Meh.

flyguy206
Apr 2, 2010, 12:22 PM
Whats wrong with being gay? Seriously, the homophobia in this country is remarkable. I'm not gay, but I see nothing wrong with people that are. I do however see a problem in using ones sexual orientation as an insult.

People see bags as a woman thing.

rtay
Apr 2, 2010, 12:23 PM
:-)
I usually just tell people I'm not gay, I'm Italian. Now, I can just tell them I own an iPad. Then they'll be able to categorize me and move along without having to question their own world view. :-)
Not a good time to be Italian either. Have you completely missed jersey shore haha

brooks.curly
Apr 2, 2010, 12:24 PM
No one ever said gays weren't fashionable. I'm not gay, but they generally dress a hell of a lot better than everyone else haha.

Bodhi395
Apr 2, 2010, 12:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the poster was just joking around, not making a homophobic comment. I have gay friends that always joke around and call things 'gay.' Its not a derogatory comment in most circumstances.

nando2323
Apr 2, 2010, 12:26 PM

I didn't say anything that anyone was wrong for being a homosexual. Last time I checked gay means happy right? If you want to be a homosexual that's your prerogative I live in Mass and we have same sex marriage, and I have nothing against it. I was just making a funny that's all.

Timothy
Apr 2, 2010, 12:31 PM
Funny, now that I think about it, my use of bags began with my Newton, and is now coming full circle with the iPad.

jedolley
Apr 2, 2010, 12:40 PM
I actually thought there was a picture of a man bag in this thread.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the year is 2010. Man bags, messengers, etc. have been "in" for awhile. I can understand if maybe if the strap was really short and resembled a purse. However, that does not excuse the childish remarks made in this thread.

I realize that this being a message board there are all sorts of ages, and types of people, so stupidity and ignorance are bound to happen.

Chris Rogers
Apr 2, 2010, 12:44 PM

I agree with you.

But the problem is that the word 'gay' means 3 things: homosexual, NOT cool, and happy (although who really uses the last one?)

With that said, no way would I ever wear a man purse! Call it something else, just cuz it has the word man in front of it doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a purse. What's next man panties, man high heels?

If you don't want to carry around another bag, I just got one of these :) http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml

3N16MA
Apr 2, 2010, 12:45 PM
Backpack all the way, no man purse/messenger bag for me. If you want to be hardcore then you carry your iPad in a bulletproof briefcase.

Roessnakhan
Apr 2, 2010, 12:48 PM
Indiana Jones has one.

SpeedFleX
Apr 2, 2010, 12:49 PM
Yeahh I don't have anythinga against gays or lesbs , but I do think man bags look gay or girly and it has nothing to do with being uncomfortable..

If you like it tho that is good for you, but would you

put make up in your face?
wear a skirt?
high heels?

bossxii
Apr 2, 2010, 12:50 PM
I've always carried a portfolio for work, so I'll just find one that has a space/slot to hold the iPad. I carried a brief case and/or a laptop bag for years but prefer to carry as little as possible. I still have my laptop bag with any cords, chargers, paperwork in my car, but something like this (http://ipadbags.com/tag/leather-ipad-portfolio/) should do the trick for my iPad. This one is just the first I ran across, don't like the zipper, but you get the idea.

JBWade
Apr 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
It's a European Shoulder Bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRecos7TcA0

Alchematron
Apr 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
He he he…

I've carried a so-called man bag for over a decade

Picture of bag???

Chris Rogers
Apr 2, 2010, 12:52 PM
Indiana Jones has one.

wasn't that a satchel?

It's a European Shoulder Bag.

There you go!

mozartwon
Apr 2, 2010, 12:52 PM

But I'm worried that

Had to have it:
http://www.orbino.com/store/

citi
Apr 2, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have a tumi man purse that I wear. Tried to stop it and went, pockets...god that was a nightmare. I like having a place to put things. One place. I am quick to lose things if they are separate.

A man bag is convenient. My wife on occasion says, "don't forget your purse". She is not joking, nor trying to hurt my feelings. She just sees it the way she sees it. Sometimes that annoys me, but not enough to stop using it.

"It's a bag, babe."

h00ligan
Apr 2, 2010, 12:55 PM
well, just about every man in NYC carries a backpack, briefcase, or messenger bag.. i fail to see how carrying a bag is uncool. I constantly carry a crumpler 3 million dollar home with a camera in it - and will probably get another messenger bag for dslr + ipad + misc cables.. etc.

Why is this even a topic - do you REALLY think people care if a guy carries a bag. I mean if it's an italian leather man purse with no strap - maybe, but anything larger is pretty normal imho.

citi
Apr 2, 2010, 12:55 PM
wasn't that a satchel?

same thing

3N16MA
Apr 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
I have a tumi man purse that I wear. Tried to stop it and went, pockets...god that was a nightmare. I like having a place to put things. One place. I am quick to lose things if they are separate.

A man bag is convenient. My wife on occasion says, "don't forget your purse". She is not joking, nor trying to hurt my feelings. She just sees it the way she sees it. Sometimes that annoys me, but not enough to stop using it.

"It's a bag, babe."

It's sad that your wife has to remind you to bring your purse. What is she going to say next? "don't forget to bring your pad."

ngenerator
Apr 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
Indiana Jones has one.

So does Joy Behar!

Lol, I wear a man bag, it keeps my BT, RichardSolo iPhone Charger, loose change, iPod Classic, Newsweek, WSJ and a Penny Arcade book :D

If that's a purse, then call me Nancy (but not around my fiance ;))

Roessnakhan
Apr 2, 2010, 12:59 PM
wasn't that a satchel?

I was just quoting The Hangover. But I think you're quibbling over semantics. :p

niuniu
Apr 2, 2010, 12:59 PM
Nothing wrong with a good man bag. I'm a backpacker myself but have recently discovered the joy of a trendy man bag. So hi!

Mark Booth
Apr 2, 2010, 01:12 PM
Indiana Jones has one.

Indiana Jones actually wore a 1943 MKVII gas mask bag to use as his satchel:

http://www.theraider.net/information/indy_gear/gallery/shoulderbag_03.jpg

Replicas are available:

http://www.theraider.net/information/indy_gear/gallery/shoulderbag_01.jpg

I happen to have one of the replicas (Halloween costume) and I am actually considering it as the carry bag for my iPad. But I'd still want to put the iPad in some sort of portfolio case too.

Mark

chhhrrriiisss
Apr 2, 2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUs1U8iwiBM

I've had a bag before that I used to use. I stopped because I didn't really have anything to put inside it. Now I guess I have a reason. We'll see if I can even find it anymore.

Timothy
Apr 2, 2010, 01:17 PM
Picture of bag???

If you insist…

My current bag is a Ferragamo:

http://www.eventure.com/images/ferragamo_bag.jpg

…but I've just ordered two more, because I need to see which one I like best and which one the iPad fits in best. I ordered this one from Fossil:

http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/is/image/FossilPartners/MBG1157201_main?$fossil_minithumb$

…and this one from Kenneth Cole:

http://kcp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4642296v275.jpg

There's a whole thread on the topic here:

The Comprehensive iPad Accessories Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860208)

Avicdar
Apr 2, 2010, 01:25 PM
I've been using an Oakley bag now for a few years. It fits a macbook neatly, and will be perfect for my iPad instead.

Similar to this one, but I think they don't carry the exact one I had anymore. Imagine this with the bulkier front piece missing (mine is somewhat slimmer).

But I like this one too. Hmm.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TQ674LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

numbersyx
Apr 2, 2010, 01:31 PM
I agree with you.

But the problem is that the word 'gay' means 3 things: homosexual, NOT cool, and happy (although who really uses the last one?)

With that said, no way would I ever wear a man purse! Call it something else, just cuz it has the word man in front of it doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a purse. What's next man panties, man high heels?

If you don't want to carry around another bag, I just got one of these :) http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. How stylish - NOT!!!! I'd rather carry around a woman's purse than wear that..... You must get real "compliments" on it... ha ha.

BTW, nothing wrong with carrying a man bag around particularly when you have a load of electronic gear e.g. laptop, cellphone etc.

msduncan
Apr 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
He he he…

I am getting the official case, and thus I will carry mine in my hand like a paper style folder/notebook like REAL men do. No bags for me.

Alchematron
Apr 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
Yes, I'm man enough to wear a purse I mean iPad carrier :D

Timothy
Apr 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
I am getting the official case, and thus I will carry mine in my hand like a paper style folder/notebook like REAL men do. No bags for me.

Plato would be so proud!

H00513R
Apr 2, 2010, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you are pursey-whipped. :D

Mark Booth
Apr 2, 2010, 01:42 PM
One thing is for sure... The person/company that comes up with the coolest satchel/messenger bag that DOESN'T remind everyone of a purse is going to sell a million of them! :)

Mark

shankqiu
Apr 2, 2010, 01:49 PM
It's sad that your wife has to remind you to bring your purse. What is she going to say next? "don't forget to bring your pad."

LOL

Alchematron
Apr 2, 2010, 01:53 PM

:D :D :D

CanonicalKoi
Apr 2, 2010, 01:54 PM
Backpack all the way, no man purse/messenger bag for me. If you want to be hardcore then you carry your iPad in a bulletproof briefcase.

I actually kind of like the bulletproof briefcase idea...hmmmmm.... :D The problem with backpacks is that they're out of your view. It's too easy for someone to do a "slash and run" with your nice, spendy electronics. I'm a woman and I don't like purses for somewhat the same reason--too easy to grab. I like small messenger bags; they're over my shoulder and hard for someone to grab and run, under one arm so they're in sight and in a controllable space and the bag's small enough to fit under my jacket making it doubly hard for someone to grab (and keeping the contents dry). As always, YMMV.

topmounter
Apr 2, 2010, 01:56 PM
Just wait for the updated tactical pants with iPad pouch... those will be WAY less gay than your strap-on man sack :rolleyes:

And "gay", like "fag", in context means "not cool". Watch South Park Episode #1312, "The F Word", if you have questions.

msduncan
Apr 2, 2010, 01:57 PM

Why did you feel the need to clarify to the forum that you were not gay?

Spudracer
Apr 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
I actually thought there was a picture of a man bag in this thread.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the year is 2010. Man bags, messengers, etc. have been "in" for awhile. I can understand if maybe if the strap was really short and resembled a purse. However, that does not excuse the childish remarks made in this thread.

I realize that this being a message board there are all sorts of ages, and types of people, so stupidity and ignorance are bound to happen.

And then there are the politically correct beacons of social enlightenment such as yourself.....cue the angels singing!

jedolley
Apr 2, 2010, 02:16 PM
And then there are the politically correct beacons of social enlightenment such as yourself.....cue the angels singing!

Hardly think my post was a "beacon" for the politically correct. I just think it was a bit childish to insult someone based on their choice of bag. It's actually funny how much some people are trying to convince others that they are "manly".

KingPasta
Apr 2, 2010, 02:18 PM
Since I bought my first macbook pro about 3-4 years ago, I have always owned a 'man-bag'.

Crumpler make a vast range of trendy laptop bags and backpacks - I have 2 messenger bags, and 2 slip cases by Crumpler.

As I work in many venues, its essential I have a bag to transport my laptops in, with all the required accessories/adapters I need with them. And EVERYONE, and I mean everyone has complimented on how trendy my bag is. Infact, all of my freelancers (male and female!) have bought Crumpler bags since I got mine.

Messenger bags are a very professional way of carrying a laptop.

Can you imagine someone wearing a suit and a back-pack? no.

Crumpler: http://www.crumpler.co.uk/?product=Fishy_Slip&page=details&product_id=FSL-003&size=&ignore_color=1

Deanster
Apr 2, 2010, 02:19 PM
Maxpedition makes the most macho and tacti-cool man-purses around...

and they're superbly made, radically over-built.

http://www.maxpedition.com

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/catalog/0439g_1400_detail.jpg

niuniu
Apr 2, 2010, 02:24 PM
Maxpedition makes the most macho and tacti-cool man-purses around...

and they're superbly made, radically over-built.

http://www.maxpedition.com

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/catalog/0439g_1400_detail.jpg

Awesome. Must order.

KingPasta
Apr 2, 2010, 02:24 PM
www.crumpler.co.uk