Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgeStar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
I have bought Toast Titanium 10 as this is supposed to be the bees knees, but i don't seem to have the functionality that colleagues have with Nero on PC. If i use Video Monkey or Handbrake to convert video files i generally get mp4's yet i can't get toast to compress, say 4 of to fit to one DVD. Is there a way to do this? Or am i expecting too much?:confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
.mp4 files use the H264 codec (an MPEG-4 variant), video DVDs use the MPEG-2 codec.

Depending on the length of the .mp4 files, you might not be able to fit them on a single layer DVD (which only has a capacity of 4.37GiB).

So if you have four .mp4 files with an average length of 60 minutes, you have 240 minutes (= 4 hours) to fit onto a single layer DVD. That will not work, because the MPEG-2 codec is not as efficient as the H264 codec.

You might make it work to fit 4 hours onto a double layer DVD though.

PS: There are no apostrophes in plurals, even ones like PCs, except when they indicate ownership.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The max really is about three hours but the quality is very poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.