PDA

View Full Version : USB ports not working after "upgrade"

comictimes
Aug 23, 2004, 09:16 PM
ok... I've got serious issues. So this afternoon I installed 10.3 on my parents' 733mhz powermac G4, which had been running jaguar. Unfortunately I was in a rush, and I think I may have installed from the wrong disk, namely disk 2, instead of disk 1, i.e. the "upgrade disk" However, it still installed, albeit very slowly. However, it didn't tell me to restart or anything after finishing installing, which worried me, and first got me to thinking I may have used the wrong disk. In fact, I'm still not sure about that part. However, the frightening part is that when I restarted the computer, first it took a really long time to restart, then, once it did, the mouse wouldn't move, and no cd appeared on the desktop, even though I had accidentally left the cd in the drive (I'm kinda tired today, in case you hadn't guessed). So I tried force-restarting, and the screen just flashed black then came back on. I eventually had to unplug the computer then plug it back in to get it to restart, and have had to several times now, and had to hold down the eject key on startup to get the cd to come out. So both my mouse and my keyboard are plugged into the back of my monitor, and neither one is working (I can't ctrl-d to get to the dock, or force-restart), but the eject key worked while I was starting up the computer, and my mouse has the red glow on, so I am extremely confused. Please help! I will literally be crucified if my parents find out I somehow destroyed their computer...

comictimes
Aug 23, 2004, 09:32 PM
ok, I just found out that when it first comes on, I can do control-d to get the dock, and open stuff, but after the first time, I can't get to the dock anymore... this is so strange....

edit: nevermind, I was, once again, being really stupid. it looks like my keyboard, in general, works. But the mouse definitely isn't...

edit 2: ok, so I tried both the keyboard and mouse in ports on both the moitor and the back of the tower, and the keyboard works everywhere, while thouse works nowhere, but still gets the light, so it's receiving power from these ports. Then I tried a different mouse, non-apple, on the computer, and it doesn't even receive power. Unfortunately I don't have another keyboard to test with, but it looks like it's just the mouse with issues...

Horrortaxi
Aug 23, 2004, 09:32 PM
I'm not clear on this disk mixup. Did you install from a retail Panther disk, or did you use a Software Restore disk from another Mac? If the latter you might be asking for trouble in several ways. King Cobra loves to brief people on the various ways that'll get you in trouble, so I'll just say that disks that have a specific Mac model printed on them have it for a reason.

Here's the procedure when hardware does odd things or disappears--it's handy when drives don't mount or when ports don't work. Boot the computer while holding command option P R and hold that until you hear the startup sound 4 times. Then hold command option O F until text appears on the screen telling you to let go. Type reset-nvram and hit enter. Then type reset-all and the Mac will reboot. With any luck it will work right after that.

comictimes
Aug 23, 2004, 09:35 PM
I'm not clear on this disk mixup. Did you install from a retail Panther disk, or did you use a Software Restore disk from another Mac?

I'm using the retail panther disk, but, I'm afraid, possibly the wrong one. Is the "upgrade disk" upgrading from a former version of Mac OSX, or upgrading from OS9?

edit: I tried the resetting the ports thing, and nothing's changed. Is it possible that I've lost the mouse drivers or something?

Horrortaxi
Aug 24, 2004, 12:06 AM
The upgrade disk came with a Mac that shipped with Jaguar after Panther was released. It might be system specific or only upgrade a certain version of 10.2. I'd bet that there's something specific about that disk that makes it do bad things to older Macs. Somebody else might be able to confirm or deny that.

At this point I'd get the G4's original restore disks and put it back like it was--especially if there will be dire consequences for breaking the computer.

comictimes
Aug 24, 2004, 01:35 AM
YES!!! I got it! I couldn't find the restore disk (I know it's around here somewhere...), but a friend suggested I boot up from the cd drive (by holding down c on startup) with the 10.3 cd in, and it works! not sure entirely why, but it does, so I'm ecstatic. I just hope the hard drive doesn't get wiped or anything, as my parents will be almost as unhappy with that as with having a non-functioning mouse...

Horrortaxi
Aug 24, 2004, 02:14 AM
Why don't we have an emoticon that bashes its head against a wall?

comictimes
Aug 24, 2004, 02:44 AM
That really would be helpful right now... I kinda feel like a fool for not thinking of booting from the cd...

Horrortaxi
Aug 24, 2004, 11:40 AM
How'd you install the OS without booting from the CD in the first place?