PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook FSB overclock

thecow
Aug 23, 2004, 09:56 PM
I have a 400 MHz TiBook with pc133 ram in it and I was wondering if there is a way to overclock the FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz. It would be good if I could somehow do this without soldering on my logic board because I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing this.

jimsowden
Aug 23, 2004, 10:03 PM
I have a 400 MHz TiBook with pc133 ram in it and I was wondering if there is a way to overclock the FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz. It would be good if I could somehow do this without soldering on my logic board because I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing this.
Instead of doing something that would do next to nothing, why not just get a new computer?

pyrotoaster
Aug 23, 2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, that really isn't a good idea.
If it works, it won't do much (if anything) to speed up your Powerbook.
If it doesn't work, your Powerbook is broken.

thecow
Aug 23, 2004, 10:15 PM
I am waiting for the g5 powerbooks and while I am waiting I am trying to make my laptop as fast as I can without spending too much.

Sun Baked
Aug 23, 2004, 10:20 PM
You'd be overclocking the FSB and reducing the multiplier on the CPU to keep it at 400MHz -- otherwise you'd kill the CPU and/or logic board.

Overclocking is generally not worth the risk unless the CPU is widely known for being stable at higher MHz -- which very few of the PPCs are know for.

And Motorola had a heck of a time at 400MHz.

Plus doing it in a notebook is rather crazy/risky.

musicpyrite
Aug 23, 2004, 10:48 PM
Plus doing it in a notebook is rather crazy/risky.

Yes, there are reasons as to why, on average, notebook is clocked lower than a desktop, is because of the heat. And as we should know, heat WILL kill your processor.

So I wouldn't recommend overclocking ANYTHING on a laptop.

As for overclocking on a Mac, how do you change the multipliers or the FSB?