PDA

View Full Version : iPod through iBook

iSpud
Aug 23, 2004, 10:36 PM
I currently have my iPod hooked up to my stereo via the dock line-out. I also have the docked hooked up to my iBook. I was wondering if I could control my iPod through my computer while it is hooked up this way using iTunes or another program.

The reason I don't have my stereo hooked to my stereo through the headphones is because of the decrease in sound quality. (If anyone was wondering)

Thanks!

Ryan

musicpyrite
Aug 23, 2004, 11:46 PM
There is no way to control the iPod through your iBook, but I do not know about iBook>Dock>Stero, you'd have to ask someone who had a Dock. (as my iPod did not come with a Dock :( )

You could also consider getting and AirPort Express; quite spiffy imho.

Horrortaxi
Aug 24, 2004, 12:08 AM
iBooks are portable. Why not try to do it and then tell us if it worked.

rhpenguin
Aug 24, 2004, 01:00 AM
Why not just hook the stereo directly into the iBook vs. the iPod? Same exact end result, but one less thing to worry about..

And as far as ive seen, ive been able to use my iPod as a firewire drive and play the tunes that way, but the sound still comes through the iBook not the iPod. Maybe someone else has done this, but as far as im concerned, its not possible.

garybUK
Aug 24, 2004, 01:26 AM
I think he means use the ibook as a remote control for the ipod, this theoretically could be possible because the firewire port is just a data input source, many of the new car stereo's with ipod 'interfaces' just send the play/pause, vol +/-, Next/Prev commands via the dock connector.

I dont think anyone has written software to do this but i will have a look around.

would it not be eaiser to invest in one of those little infra-red solutions???

Macmaniac
Aug 24, 2004, 07:15 AM
Now heres a challenge someone should make an iPod controlling program so you can control the iPod through a computer using Firewire.:) That would be sweet;)

wPod
Aug 24, 2004, 08:18 AM
i know you can play the iPod through the computer. . . where the iPod is esentialy an external drive and you play the songs off of it through the computer. if you do not like the decrease in sound quality through the headphone port of your computer get a griffin iMic http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/ just plug it in to your USB port then use then connect the line out from there into your stereo. i have used one for a couple years now and thing it works very well. even my audiophile friend agrees that the quality is better than through the headphone jack.

kanker
Aug 24, 2004, 04:27 PM
PodWorks (http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/) will do what you want. The license also allows you to put a copy of it on your iPod, and yes, you can play tracks off your iPod through FireWire, no audio plug necessary.