PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 Giving one Beep after new ram is installed.

gibbo132
Feb 1, 2010, 12:19 PM
I have just put some brand new ram in my Powermac G4 Sawtooth, and it is giving one beep when i press the power button I have read that one beep indicates that there is no ram installed two beeps mean that there is the wrong type of ram installed.
I have checked all the ram sticks and they seem to be in fine?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/20094

That is the ram i bought for it, is it the wrong type. I know its PC133 but that is backwards compatible with PC100.

Thanks Chris

666sheep
Feb 1, 2010, 01:30 PM
Is it on Kingston chips and sticks are "no name"?
If so, will not work.

gibbo132
Feb 1, 2010, 01:40 PM
It used to have Kingston chips in and I took them all out and replaced them with 3x 256mb sticks. i don't get why it only gives me 1 beep though surely if the ram was the wrong type it would give me two?

666sheep
Feb 1, 2010, 02:08 PM
Single beep means that RAM is not detected at all.
Check with only one stick at once. I bet it will be that same.
With "Kingston" i mean not entire stick but chips brand (written on single chip).
I had brand new "no name" sticks with Kingston branded chips incompatible with Quicksilvers and Sawtooths. In your case it may be similar.

gibbo132
Feb 1, 2010, 02:43 PM
The chips look like they are no name as well. :( I sent ebuyer an email to try and get this resolved. It really is very confusing.

bartelby
Feb 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
Now I may be WAY off here but are they the right density?
I think you need low density, if you use high density they will not work.

I seem to remember having a similar issue with an old iMac

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 1, 2010, 05:13 PM
Should have read the reviews first.... I only did find 1 out of 100 or so that was installed in a Mac.

Not Suitable for Graphite G4 Mac

review by: James Hancox operating system: Mac OSX
I tried this in a 450MHz G4 - it was always a long shot putting in PC133 rather than matching the original PC100 although Crucial & Apple's websites say it should be OK. The machine booted OK but apps like photoshop became unstable. Removed the PC133 RAM and machine was OK again. I have previously added generic PC100 memory without a problem.

Typically "generic" memory is high-density and more than likely won't work. As so in this case.... Have you checked out ebay for higher-quality name-brand memory?