PDA

View Full Version : confusion about the apple genius bar/store??

tom6073
Feb 1, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hey guys im new to the iphone scene. Whats the deal with the whole taking faulty iphones to the store and getting them replaced?? I am right in saying that you have to have bought the iphone from the store to qualify right? Its just from what ive read on forums etc. it seems like you could just walk in there with any old faulty iphone and they will replace it...

Storm Shadow
Feb 1, 2010, 05:58 PM
If you are the original owner of the iPhone and it is within its warranty period then you can take it to the Apple Store I think. I've only ever used the Genius Bar when I've had problems, even though I got my iPhone on O2 from the Carphone Warehouse.

NathanA
Feb 3, 2010, 12:39 AM
Just like any retail situation, if you didn't buy the phone there, you can't return the phone there for a refund and expect to get one. You need to return it to the place of purchase.

But for warranty claims, which always go through the manufacturer regardless of where it was originally purchased (as is the normal practice with just about anything), Apple's Genius Bar serves as a convenient way of making a warranty claim with the manufacturer. Apple runs the Apple Retails Stores, so even if you can't get your money back from your original purchase if you didn't buy it from there, they are happy to process your warranty claim for you there. (It's probably even cheaper for them to do so, since you are interacting with the same staff that they pay to do other things at the store, and they don't have to pay to have your individual phone shipped to and from your residence. So it saves them money. That, and it's also easier to establish goodwill with a customer face-to-face than it is remotely on the telephone.)

I, sadly, don't have an Apple Retail Store within 300 miles of me, so when I have had to make warranty claims in the past, it has been by telephone and by post, and Apple makes that experience as pleasant as it possibly can be (good, friendly staff on the phone, and prompt service through FedEx, with Apple paying for overnight shipping both ways, not to mention Advance Replacement for no extra charge as long as you have AppleCare). But there have been a couple of occasions where I have had the privilege, while traveling, to use the Geniuses at one of their retail stores, and have always been given courteous, prompt service. You get a replacement product right away with basically no hassle.

As good as their telephone support is, if I had an Apple Store nearby, I would not hesitate to use it for warranty needs instead of doing the 1-800-MY-IPHONE thing.

-- Nathan