PDA

View Full Version : Best Speakers for Mac Audiophile

Bman
Aug 24, 2004, 01:47 AM
Need advice on buying some multimedia speakers for my iBook 700. I've just been accepted into a band playing guitar, and need to listen to the song list to rehearse. Thus the current iBook speakers are no good as I can't hear the bass notes. (I play Bass and Guitar, so will need to hear both ends of the music spectrum).

Plus, being an Architect, I'll of course want for the speakers to look the part, in keeping with the design of the iBook.

I'm seriously considering the The JBL Creature II from Harmond JBL, which look fantastic, but apparently the mid range is so-so. Any advice would be great, as i need to purchase the speakers within the next few days.

raynegus
Aug 24, 2004, 02:30 AM
IMHO, none of the speakers designed for computer use are very good. The problem is that none of them have a decent amp, which of course is at the heart of good sound.

On a budget, I'd get a NAD 320BEE amp with a pair of Ascend CBM-170 speakers and some Zu Julian speaker cables.

The sound will knock your socks off for about $800 which is a bargain for what you get. Add a sub later and you are set.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14966&item=5716842599&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

rogerw
Aug 24, 2004, 03:53 PM
Need advice on buying some multimedia speakers for my iBook 700. I've just been accepted into a band playing guitar, and need to listen to the song list to rehearse. Thus the current iBook speakers are no good as I can't hear the bass notes. (I play Bass and Guitar, so will need to hear both ends of the music spectrum).

Plus, being an Architect, I'll of course want for the speakers to look the part, in keeping with the design of the iBook.

I'm seriously considering the The JBL Creature II from Harmond JBL, which look fantastic, but apparently the mid range is so-so. Any advice would be great, as i need to purchase the speakers within the next few days.

Ive got the creatures and there is no mid range, or v little. the graphic equilizer thing on itunes does not help. they are ok if you want a bit of background music. Mind u theve got tons of bass. I will probably try the little Bose ones next.

Angelus
Aug 24, 2004, 06:25 PM
I agree with the post about getting an amp. Up til about two months ago i had been using small powered speakers with my powerbook and ipod but the sound quality, while ok wasn't fantastic. Two months on, i have moved rooms in our house and in doing so have also come into possession of my dads audio deck system and it's Legend II speakers. The sound is unbelievable!! While the creatures look good, sound is whats important so i say get a good amp and speakers.

Bruce Lee, PhD
Aug 24, 2004, 06:30 PM

if looks matter, i don't know what else there really is which looks good. perhaps bose makes something; their stuff usually sounds ok, though not the best for the money, but it also generally looks cool. a lot of stuff in this area is highly-styled, but that's different from looking good... my opinion was that the klipsch speakers sounded the best of the bunch for computer desktop speakers. you'll probably get a million opinions here; however since sound is so subjective and you don't know any of us, none of the opinions will help. :-)

beauford
Sep 2, 2004, 11:49 AM
Hi,
If you want a pair of very good quality speakers for listening to digital audio and mixing it is reallly hard to beat the humble powered biamped (9"woofers @ 150watts 1" tweeters @ 75 watts) Behringer B2031A they sound particularly good at very low volume which is great if you spend alot of time in front of them in a nearfield enviroment...........but at the same time they will also give you a 110 db with a bit more coloration............perfect for a party or club for 150 people?
The killer here is you get full bass response with these Studio Monitors and they can usualy be found for just under $300.00 a matched pair !!!!!
I have a pair, they work.
Peace,
Out