Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
My macbook air has stopped connect to wireless internet while in Mac OSX. When I switch over to Windows or use any other computer I can connect just fine. I've tried two different networks and can't seem to connect on either. Does anyone have any ideas? Would re-installing safari from a zip drive or some other drivers work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
My macbook air has stopped connect to wireless internet while in Mac OSX. When I switch over to Windows or use any other computer I can connect just fine. I've tried two different networks and can't seem to connect on either. Does anyone have any ideas? Would re-installing safari from a zip drive or some other drivers work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is any type of encryption enabled on your wireless router? Is it actually connecting but you're simply unable to browse via Safari or is it not even connecting to a network period? If the latter, it wouldn't have anything to do with Safari.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
I don't think it has anything to do with my router because when I am on windows (on my macbook air via boot camp) I can connect fine. My other computer connects fine as well. It has something to do with my Mac OSX connecting to routers. Doesn't seem to matter what router it is. Does that help narrow it at all?

The wireless does show to be connected but it always says "self assigned IP". I think this might be the problem? The IP setting is at DHCP but when I click renew it always comes back with same IP number. Thoughts?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Have you cleared all of the saved network connections? There have been several threads on this in this forum.

It could also be a permission issue. Have you tried running the repair permissions from Disk Utility or creating a new user and trying to connect?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
There has to be IP addresses available on the DHCP server.

I would start with trashing or moving:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Reboot.

If that doesn't work try:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

One of these should solve your problem.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Have you cleared all of the saved network connections? There have been several threads on this in this forum.

It could also be a permission issue. Have you tried running the repair permissions from Disk Utility or creating a new user and trying to connect?

How do I clear the saved network connections? Do I just delete my saved wireless networks or is there something more to it? Sorry for the repeat threads but when you search "wireless not working" you get quite a few results haha.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
There has to be IP addresses available on the DHCP server.

I would start with trashing or moving:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Reboot.

If that doesn't work try:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

One of these should solve your problem.

Dragged these both to the desktop and then to the trash and they re-created themselves upon restart. Neither seemed to fix my problem. :( Thanks for the advice.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
One more to try is:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
How do I clear the saved network connections? Do I just delete my saved wireless networks or is there something more to it? Sorry for the repeat threads but when you search "wireless not working" you get quite a few results haha.

Network -> Advanced -> Airport

then select and delete (-) any from the "Preferred Networks". You could also try making sure your home network is at the top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.