PDA

View Full Version : Internal Aftermarket HD

bigdz68
Aug 24, 2004, 06:30 AM
OK...so I got my new Powermac but wasnt able to get a HD from Apple. Went to Frys today and they sold me the wrong HD...does anyone know of a Maxtor HD w/250GB. From what I am understanding I would need a Serial ATA HD. Is this correct? The one I purchased is an Ultra ATA I believe but I would rather pick up one that connects right out of the box without having to connect another adapter or cable. I appreciate the help and tried searching the old posts but couldnt find anything that answered my question directly. So I will head back to Frys and return this drive for a Serial ATA unless I hear otherwise. BTW...I have the nice new dual Powermac 2.5! ;D
Thanks in advance all and also I love this forum. I have said b4 I normally just read thru posts but will be more active now that I have a capable computer to work with! Too many message boards and not enough time! :)

jefhatfield
Aug 24, 2004, 07:04 AM
OK...so I got my new Powermac but wasnt able to get a HD from Apple. Went to Frys today and they sold me the wrong HD...does anyone know of a Maxtor HD w/250GB. From what I am understanding I would need a Serial ATA HD. Is this correct? The one I purchased is an Ultra ATA I believe but I would rather pick up one that connects right out of the box without having to connect another adapter or cable. I appreciate the help and tried searching the old posts but couldnt find anything that answered my question directly. So I will head back to Frys and return this drive for a Serial ATA unless I hear otherwise. BTW...I have the nice new dual Powermac 2.5! ;D
Thanks in advance all and also I love this forum. I have said b4 I normally just read thru posts but will be more active now that I have a capable computer to work with! Too many message boards and not enough time! :)

as a techie i have heard some horror stories of frys when it concerns buying internal stuff like processors, ram, and hard drives

get an external hard drive, there is no good reason not to these days

Mord
Aug 24, 2004, 11:55 AM
i dont know about fry's but i have heard good things about new egg.

and yes you need a sata drive. get as big as you can afford or a matching one so you can have some raid options

jefhatfield
Aug 24, 2004, 01:26 PM
i dont know about fry's but i have heard good things about new egg.

and yes you need a sata drive. get as big as you can afford or a matching one so you can have some raid options

i will say this about fry's...it's great for a new computer (make sure it's new in a box), books, cables, software, etc...but avoid components...too many techies and hobbyists mess with the stuff, sometimes break it, and fry's just reshrinkwraps the stuff

five years ago, in techie class, we would put stuff together and a lot of it was from fry's and some of the new stuff wasn't new and some of it was shot...they had a bad track record

now i don't know about fry's oustide of the bay area, but san jose and region is a special case due to all the techies and hackers, etc...i saw hacks breaking into g4 towers and trying to yank stuff out, possibly to steal it and while i don't think they were all criminals per se, there just are so many gearheads in the region messing with stuff there that i would order online like the other poster said

if you have a hard drive inside already, i still suggest an external one...you can also retain it for you next machine or go mobile with it when you bring your laptop around

good luck on your project

Mord
Aug 24, 2004, 01:31 PM
externals are much slower btw, i'd get an internal as you can turn it into an external with a cheap caddy if you ever need to, the chances are your next mac will be annother powermac and i cant see apple stop useing sata for a while

bigdz68
Aug 24, 2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! I dont want an external yet since their is still room in the Mac for a 250 GB HD...after that and the other fill up I will be upgradin but for now I think that will do for a few months or so! :D Off to make the return and go elsewhere!