PDA

View Full Version : Logic 7 user - can i install Logic 9 and use both?

CharlieF
Feb 2, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hi there. I'm a Logic 7 user and have many 'in-progress' projects. I use Logic professionally. I have recently got a site licence of Logic 9 from my employer.

My question is this; Can i install Logic 9 leaving my Logic 7 intact? It may sound silly as i'm sure Logic 9 is far superior but i have current projects in 7 that i cannot afford to lose any time on. I want to be able to carry on with unfinished work on 7 but also get a grip on 9 and then migrate when starting new projects.

In the read me it says "If you have previous versions of Logic on your computer, the Logic Studio installer may change files in the Logic factory content folder. Files with names identical to the default Logic factory content files are replaced. If upgrading from Logic 7, files with different names are moved to a new folder called Previous Logic Settings"

Also when i click the installer and i'm given the check boxes to choose what i install, the check box next to Logic Pro says "upgrade"

essentially i don't want an upgrade, but two individual versions

Thanks

seisend
Feb 2, 2010, 05:11 AM
The upgrad creates two individual versions. When I was upgrading Logic 8 with Logic 9, I had two files - the new and old version in my application folder. So Logic 7 will still be available.

deej999
Feb 2, 2010, 06:27 AM
Hi there. I'm a Logic 7 user and have many 'in-progress' projects. I use Logic professionally. I have recently got a site licence of Logic 9 from my employer.

My question is this; Can i install Logic 9 leaving my Logic 7 intact? It may sound silly as i'm sure Logic 9 is far superior but i have current projects in 7 that i cannot afford to lose any time on. I want to be able to carry on with unfinished work on 7 but also get a grip on 9 and then migrate when starting new projects.

In the read me it says "If you have previous versions of Logic on your computer, the Logic Studio installer may change files in the Logic factory content folder. Files with names identical to the default Logic factory content files are replaced. If upgrading from Logic 7, files with different names are moved to a new folder called Previous Logic Settings"

Also when i click the installer and i'm given the check boxes to choose what i install, the check box next to Logic Pro says "upgrade"

essentially i don't want an upgrade, but two individual versions

Thanks

You can keep Logic 7 and install Logic 9. Simply backup the Logic 7.app somewhere safe before install just in case. You should be fine, but better be safe than sorry!

Be aware that Logic 9 may well overwrite the library Aiff apple loops with the newer .caf versions. This may cause issues with your Logic Pro 7 projects.

deej