Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I want to go ahead and purchase Windows XP Professional to run with Parallels for IE testing. Does anyone know a good place to safely purchase a copy? It is listed on Amazon, but if you read the recent comments posted, it seems as though some people are receiving pirated copies, or copies with serial numbers that do not work. Also, $300 for software that is 2 generations old seems kinda steep.

I'm not looking for anything free, just want to get a better testing environment set up on my machine. Any suggestions?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Check this link out. A few years ago, I think I used Darwine. Bottom line: Don't pay for XP just for IE 6. Also, I think IE 8 and above has a meta tag that will force IE to render using the IE 6 trident engine.

http://particletree.com/notebook/getting-ie-6-on-your-mac/

P.S. Google is no longer supporting IE 6, and only about 20% of my main website's user base uses IE 6 anymore, and this is for a website targeted at older, low-income, computer illiterate people. IE 6 is dying, I wouldn't do much more than make sure it displays legibly.

zed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Cool, thanks for the link. What I'm really trying to do is get IE 7 and 8 on testing machines using Parallels. I definitely do not know what I am doing when it comes the the PC side of computers. Is it possible to run IE 7 in Windows 7?

Ive been using Adobe BrowerLab to just make sure that my sites are usable in IE, but it doesn't refresh the css enough to make it a truly functional testing environment. I can continue to use BrowserLab for IE 6 testing (you are right.. it is on the way out) but I would like to get IE 7 running on my machine.

:)

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I know this is kinda old but in case you haven't found anything

Schools that are part of the Microsoft Academic Alliance can get free software, including windows.

I got XP for a small nominal service fee from my local community college.

If you happen to be in school I'd check with your computer science department to see if they've joined.

If not, maybe a friend or someone else could hook you up.

zed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I know this is kinda old but in case you haven't found anything

Schools that are part of the Microsoft Academic Alliance can get free software, including windows.

I got XP for a small nominal service fee from my local community college.

If you happen to be in school I'd check with your computer science department to see if they've joined.

If not, maybe a friend or someone else could hook you up.

Thanks, my wife works for a university.. I'll ask her to look into this for me. Thanks for the tip :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'll have a look through my old disks if you have no luck pm me and I'll send you a copy with key. I have 5 or so copies.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I'm not sure how this would work on a Mac, but I downloaded Virtual PC for Windows to test a site in IE6 and despite it giving warnings that I needed XP Pro to use Virtual PC it still ran fine on my standard XP laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.