Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynewromantica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I used Mozy in the past but had some issues when trying to restore my photos because Mozy breaks the uploaded files into smaller bits. For example my 60 GB iPhoto library came back in many smaller pieces. Mozy didn't put them back together for me.
Is there an online backup out there that doesn't do this? I REALLY need to start backing up my client's photos off-site.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Seriously, the safest way is just to export an Aperture vault to a hard disk, and leave it at a friends (or a couple of friends') house or somewhere else. I don't trust online backups, plus my Aperture vault is like 150gb, I'll be paying out the butt for storage I'd think.

mynewromantica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Actually most places I have looked at had unlimited backup for around $5 a month.
I was just hoping some one had used these before and could tell me how well it worked when you restore files.
I do have them backed up to a HDD i just would really like a safer solution than a HDD, just too much room for failure/error.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
I can tell you one thing -

DO NOT USE Carbonite - I tried the trial on 2 days ago and today I sit as only having 2GB uploaded - I have a full dup 20MB connection that is not throttled. They are slow as can be.

I am book marking this as I too am after a good online back up service. I do use externals however if someone breaks in and takes them it is no good, also taking them back and forth to someones house as often as I back up and make changes would be very time consuming.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
For now I'm doing a HD and will hide it in the car. A thief wouldn't get it all, but I do worry about wildfires around here. I figure I would make my getaway in the car.

Some day the cloud thing will be the obvious way to go.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Anyone tried Crashplan? I'm curious about both their cloud storage and their free service of storing backups on friend/relatives computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.