Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdTyler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Alabama
I am running a Mac Mini Server 10.6 with ten client machines. I have one machine that was band new and I allowed it to be automatically configured by the server. The remainder of the machines were manually configured. The users have limited skills and the lan is behind a firewall so i have limited the login requirements to "LOGIN" "Plain". The one machine that was configured by the server authenticates to all services but mail. Mail returns an "MD5" error. An inspection of the mail preferences shows both the POP and SMTP setting set to MD5. Efforts to set the login in mail preferences to login-plain appear to be affective until you actually attempt to login and they will be reset to MD5 and the error message will be returned.

If I set up another users account on the computer andit will log in correctly. If I change only the SMTP settings it will log in correctly. The error appears to be tied to the POP login.

I have checked the user settings in the server and they are set to login-plain.

I have scrubbed the problematic users computer but, if I use the original user settings, the problem returns.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Ed

EdTyler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Alabama
Problem solved with medium sized hammer!

If I set up another users account on the computer andit will log in correctly. If I change only the SMTP settings it will log in correctly. The error appears to be tied to the POP login.

I have checked the user settings in the server and they are set to login-plain.

I have scrubbed the problematic users computer but, if I use the original user settings, the problem returns.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Ed[/QUOTE]

I have resolved the problems and it turned out to be a permissions error that affected the postfix process. The cure was to reinstall the server, (medium size Hammer), assure that all of the DNS issues were resolved, and then replace the server's DNS information in systems preferences with the servers own internal IP address, 120.0.0.1 before proceeding.

This left several mail issues to be corrected before the mail server would send mail into the internet. These were DNS related issues involving renaming the localhost.localdomain entries .

I hope that this helps anyone who encounters a similar problem.

Ed :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.