Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpmhawaii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Hey all,

Got another problem. Now I've solved my router problem, however, I can't figure out how to print from the ethernet connection for by two older macs.

Here's the rundown....

I have a Power PC 6500 400 Mhz G3 (sonnet card installed) and also a 8600AV Power Mac running at 300 Mhz.

Now the 6500 has an ethernet card in the PCI slot and the 8600 is using the built in ethernet port.

I just bought a HP Laserjet 1300 along with the HP printserver. Now I've followed the installation disc info on the HP CD and when I go into the chooser in the 6500 I selected the Laserwriter 8 printer icon and have chosen the HP 1300 PPD in the desktop printer app. However, in the chooser, the HP PPD does not appear in the right side of the window. When I try to print out to the HP from the 6500 (I've only dealt with the 6500 at this point and will apply any settings to the 8600 when I have the 6500 able to print) it can't print because it can't find the appropriate printer.

So, anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my 8600 to print to the HP?

Thanks again in advance for all you help! :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Are all the Macs on OS9, or is it a mixed environment? I think you've got a new PB, running, presumably, 10.3? Does it print?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Since you set everything else manually, you'll need to do the same thing with the HP printserver using the HP LaserJet Utility.

You may get something like...

192.168.32.2 on the computer

but if the printer is

They won't see each other for printing.

---

Or just set up the Airport hub as a DHCP server giving out IP address on the subnetwork 192.168.32.x

bpmhawaii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
Ok,

Its a mixed OS environment, of course my PB is running 10.3.x but my older macs are running OS 9.1.

And yes my PB is able to print, yet my other macs are unable to.

Now, I'm unclear as to the TCP/IP settings for the printserver.

So if its not showing up on my "chooser" then when I manually input the DNS settings it should "in theory" show up in the chooser?
:eek:

Thanks again for all your help peeps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.