PDA

View Full Version : 1,000,000 Post Avatar Contest - Best Animated Avatar

Mr. Anderson
Aug 24, 2004, 10:38 PM
The mods have voted and have made our choices for the finalists of the Best Animated Avatar contest. Now it's the members' turn to vote for their favorite. The winner will be the entry with the most votes by the end of the voting period, Friday at midnight EDT. In case of a tie, we'll leave the polls open for an extra day.

This was not an easy task and we have an honorable mention entry as well (see below). Congrats to all the members who entered the most participated-in contest in MacRumors history (over 230 entries). Thanks for your participation.

Honorable mention:

evil santa
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16420

If you've made the list, feel free to update your sig. Once we have a winner, that member will be able to use the winning 'tar.

Thanks again,

D

neologism
Aug 24, 2004, 11:59 PM
anjaki - meh.
koyder - eh?
laslo - hm.
medea - huh?
stoid - bah.

Overall? I vote for the cat.

FlamDrag
Aug 25, 2004, 12:06 AM
The cat is pretty funny.

Overall, not bad animated submissions. I'm pleasantly surprised.

cb911
Aug 25, 2004, 12:12 AM
anjaki! :D

nice idea, much better than your first submission. ;)

medea didn't have a bad one either, but i also based the decision on which 'tar i could stand to see in the forums on a regular basis. the typewriter 'tar is very dark, i don't think i could stand that for too long. although the swing 'tar has alot of motion, but i'm down with that. :cool:

settledown
Aug 25, 2004, 12:25 AM
What is being typed in Medea's animated typwriter avatar?

gwuMACaddict
Aug 25, 2004, 12:26 AM
i also like the cat...

comictimes
Aug 25, 2004, 12:33 AM
What is being typed in Medea's animated typwriter avatar?

I'm fairly sure it's "brains on"--> at least that's what someone said in the original thread medea #1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84985&highlight=medea)

tex210
Aug 25, 2004, 01:03 AM
would'a voted for the cat.

katanna
Aug 25, 2004, 01:11 AM
I would have voted for the iMac fade, but it faded to the MacRumors icon, and it was kinda out of place.
Typewiter gets my vote.

Matthew

aus_dave
Aug 25, 2004, 01:51 AM
I would have voted for the cat too :).

anjaki gets my vote for 'degree of difficulty' and nice smooth transitions :D.

RandomDeadHead
Aug 25, 2004, 02:12 AM
Personally, I prefer the cat.

Nermal
Aug 25, 2004, 02:57 AM
I would have voted for the iMac fade, but it faded to the MacRumors icon, and it was kinda out of place.
Typewiter gets my vote.

Matthew

I was going to vote for that one, but I didn't because it jumps from the MR icon to the original Mac (it doesn't fade). If it faded then I would've voted for it, but instead I voted for stoid.

evil_santa
Aug 25, 2004, 03:03 AM
I would have voted for the cat too :).

D.

Thanks for the support, I originaly made this as a screen saver for my phone.

I pleased to get a Honorable mention here & a finalist in the 1,000,000 catogory.

I was going to one with the macroumors logo in it so he is chasing that, but never got round to it. :D

thanks again & good luck to all the finalists.

eSanta & Tizer (cat)

Doraemon
Aug 25, 2004, 05:40 AM
I also would vote for the cat.
Pity, I can't.

edesignuk
Aug 25, 2004, 05:57 AM
Another....I would have voted to the cat post :p

edit: WOAH! Just noticed my title changed to "1,000,000th Poster" :cool: Thanks Arn!

HyperX
Aug 25, 2004, 06:13 AM
I voted for Medea..

but I really wanted to vote for the Cat

HOW the hell could the cat not get in?

Evil_santa you will always be the winner in my book...

http://funfreepages.com/prize/yourock.jpg

HexMonkey
Aug 25, 2004, 06:24 AM
I voted for Medea..

but I really wanted to vote for the Cat

HOW the hell could the cat not get in?

My guess is that it's because evil_santa is a finalist for the 1,000,000th Post Avatar (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=85970). The contest rules limit each member to one avatar in the finals.

6. Finalists. The MacRumors moderators will select 5 finalists in the Animated, Static, and "Million" categories, based on creativeness, craftsmanship, and/or humor. There will be at most one avatar in the finals for a given MacRumors member across the 3 categories, so exactly 15 different members will be finalists. Decisions of the moderators will be final. The moderators will not be eligible to be finalists but may submit avatars.

HyperX
Aug 25, 2004, 06:35 AM
Santa stands no CHANCE against the Magic which is the Ipod Avatar <I didn't vote for it cause I am a rebel>

Anyways he could have won this one HANDS DOWN!

medea
Aug 25, 2004, 07:05 AM
Wow thanks for all the support guys, I'm taken aback by it. Seriously, there were so many great avatars posted I didn't believe I'd be a contender in any way.
Good luck to all the finalists and thanks.

medea.

Wyvernspirit
Aug 25, 2004, 08:29 AM
I would have prefered the cat but other ones are still OK. Better then what I could do. ;)

Laslo Panaflex
Aug 25, 2004, 09:27 AM
LOL, yeah I even prefer the cat.

Well, as far as my avatar goes, I made it really fast on a whim, just wanted to enter something. As for it fading to the Macrumors question mark, I did it like becuase it is supposed to represent what is coming next, which we all know is a G5 iMac, we just don't know what it looks like.

As for it fading back to the beggining instead of just looping, I did it to reduce file size, adding more frames to fade to the beggining would increase the already big file size even more.

As you can see the final is only like 32X32 pixlels, but the original was 75x75, I had to shink it to reduce file size. And if the animation seems fast, that's becuase I had to cut every other frame out to reduce the size as well. All in all it took me more time to adjust for the size restrictions than to make thing.

The full rez, full frame tar is in the thread linked in my post

Good work and good luck all.

p.s. Grats on your new title edesignuk.

Flying Llama
Aug 25, 2004, 11:26 AM
My eclipse and llama wings didn't make it... :( Oh well! :) Hmm... this is a tough one.......

EDIT: Voted for anjaki, but they're all good. If only i knew what medea was typing...

Don't panic
Aug 25, 2004, 03:14 PM
mmmmhh...
my personal favourites for this category were:

sun baked #1
aus dave #1
Mitthrawnuruodo #1

some of the selected one's are also quite good.

congratulations to all

Hoef
Aug 25, 2004, 04:05 PM
Give me something furry .... The others are okay but too plasticy for my taste.

evil_santa
Aug 25, 2004, 06:21 PM
Thank you all for you continued support for my spinning cat Tizer. Only another 275 posts to go till i can use is as my Avitar :D here is another gif of the furry one..

stoid
Aug 25, 2004, 06:30 PM
Wow, I'm shocked that my lil' 1984 avatar made it to the finals! Since I couldn't vote for the cat though (write in?), I'm going for the typewriter. Very nice indeed.

aus_dave
Aug 25, 2004, 06:38 PM
mmmmhh...
my personal favourites for this category were:

sun baked #1
aus dave #1
Mitthrawnuruodo #1

Thanks for the honorable mention Don't panic :D.

I was working on #2 but got side tracked. Hopefully by the next 'tar competition I will have 500 posts up so I don't have to win to be able to use it ;).

medea
Aug 25, 2004, 10:20 PM
I do believe someone already let the cat out of the bage but for those who don't know yet the typewriter is typing "brains on." I would have preferred it to be a mystery, except for the few, but so many have asked so......

trebblekicked
Aug 25, 2004, 11:28 PM
medea-

you've always had pretty rad 'tars. this one takes the cake. well done.

Flowbee
Aug 26, 2004, 12:37 AM
My vote would be for the cat. Are you counting the write-in votes?

medea
Aug 26, 2004, 10:18 AM
thanks trebblekicked, much appreciated. i am surprised you did not participate in the contest yourself.

evil_santa
Aug 26, 2004, 02:57 PM
My vote would be for the cat. Are you counting the write-in votes?

I think i would have got more votes for the cat than the 1000000 posts

trebblekicked
Aug 27, 2004, 11:39 AM
thanks trebblekicked, much appreciated. i am surprised you did not participate in the contest yourself.

i would have, but we're putting up a new show here, and going back out on the road soon, so there's too much going on. i haven't even had time to update my 'tar- i've been using the same one for over a year.

medea
Aug 27, 2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah it's an old one but it's still one of my all time favorites. Good luck with the show.