PDA

View Full Version : So... 1.25ghz G4 eMac... usable?

sikkinixx
Feb 3, 2010, 10:00 PM
It's been a long while since I have used a G4 mac, my last one was my 12" Powerbook. But a 1.25ghz eMac is available to me for $75 and I am seriously tempted. I always had a soft spot for their spiffy white exterior.

How usable is the G4 nowadays? Just for iTunes, websurfing, etc. I have a PC but I mostly just game on it. The unit has 1GB of Ram, 80GB hdd plus Airport Extreme and Tiger. Worth putting Leopard on it?

I might see if I can try it first but just wanted general thoughts.

flopticalcube
Feb 3, 2010, 10:08 PM
Flash sites will be slow. Leopard costs more than the machine.

killerrobot
Feb 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
My G4 ibook crashes the browser when a webpage with flash comes up. I only have 512 RAM though, so maybe you'll get by with 1 G.
iTunes plays fine but the speakers are just horrible. You'll probably want to use headphones or external speakers.
I'm not sure what you'd gain from going to Leopard???

sikkinixx
Feb 3, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hmmm... maybe I should try to play with it first.

I thought Leopard actually helped performance a bit on the older units? Or maybe I am on something :p

killerrobot
Feb 3, 2010, 10:59 PM

I thought Leopard actually helped performance a bit on the older units? Or maybe I am on something :p

Yeah you might want to check it out first. As far as the Leopard thing, I know a lot of people have done it, but honestly, I didn't see any difference on my newer machines in term of speed. Maybe I'm on something too. ;)

BTW - Diggin' your avatar.

jemeinc
Feb 3, 2010, 11:46 PM
Believe it or not, I use that very same machine every single day for my business. It works fine with Leopard. I also have an iMac & a MacBook that we use at home and obviously these are MUCH faster than the eMac. But for running quickbooks, MS office, iTunes, emailing, web surfing, etc etc it's a very capable machine. It's also the only mac I've EVER owned that didn't require a logicboard replacement or 3. It's a tank.

I can't see any reason to replace it anytime soon either. For my needs it's a workhorse that I've been very pleased with.

sikkinixx
Feb 4, 2010, 08:00 AM
Believe it or not, I use that very same machine every single day for my business. It works fine with Leopard. I also have an iMac & a MacBook that we use at home and obviously these are MUCH faster than the eMac. But for running quickbooks, MS office, iTunes, emailing, web surfing, etc etc it's a very capable machine. It's also the only mac I've EVER owned that didn't require a logicboard replacement or 3. It's a tank.

I can't see any reason to replace it anytime soon either. For my needs it's a workhorse that I've been very pleased with.

Out of curiosity, why use the eMac when you have better machines? I'm asking myself that since I too have much quicker machines... I think I'm a bit of a sucker for nostalgia, though that only goes to a point. I had a 400mhz G3 a few years ago and it was punishment.

MacHamster68
Feb 4, 2010, 11:52 AM

leopard will slow it down in most cases
tiger is best and flashplayer 9 ,
dont ever install flashplayer 10 as it slows everything to a standstill

otherwise the eMac 1.25 is fine

Disc Golfer
Feb 4, 2010, 12:05 PM
Agreed, will be fine for what you'll be using it for. I'm back to my 1.5 ghz g4 powerbook running tiger (again) after several failures with my new mbp required it to be returned to california. I didn't find that the 2.53 ghz core 2 duo with 4 gb ram was all that much faster than the g4 and the g4 is actually much better at streaming video (flash? I'm assuming).

macgeek18
Feb 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
It's been a long while since I have used a G4 mac, my last one was my 12" Powerbook. But a 1.25ghz eMac is available to me for $75 and I am seriously tempted. I always had a soft spot for their spiffy white exterior.

How usable is the G4 nowadays? Just for iTunes, websurfing, etc. I have a PC but I mostly just game on it. The unit has 1GB of Ram, 80GB hdd plus Airport Extreme and Tiger. Worth putting Leopard on it?

I might see if I can try it first but just wanted general thoughts.

I'd get it,I had a 1Ghz eMac for awhile with 1GB of ram and it ram youtube and many other heavy flash sites really well.It would be a good first Mac,or upgrade from pc.

js81
Feb 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
If it works OK, I don't think you can go wrong for $75, at least as a secondary machine. With 1GB of RAM and a G4, keep Tiger - trust me - I had a PB G4 and it was a dog with Leopard but A-OK with Tiger.

I say go for it...

sikkinixx
Feb 4, 2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the thoughts all. I'm going to test it out tomorrow.

It's not my first mac, I have a MacBook pro just waiting to be sold when the new revisions pop out. Just love the asthetic of the older apple products. I wanted an older mac mini but this is less than half the price of minis on craigslist.

tflournoy95
Feb 4, 2010, 06:49 PM
leopard will slow it down in most cases
tiger is best and flashplayer 9 ,
dont ever install flashplayer 10 as it slows everything to a standstill

otherwise the eMac 1.25 is fine

Win 7 works great on my pc with almost the same specs. Why wouldn't leopard?

Patmn
Feb 4, 2010, 07:31 PM

For sure! I've got the 1.25 GHZ eMac and have been running Leopard for a few months now and it definitely runs better with Leopard than it did with Panther. Up until a few days ago I was only running 512 mb of ram also, but I now have 1.5 GB in there (which made a nice difference!). I'm sure the newer Macs would run rings around this one, but it has been a very reliable machine for me and with 1.5 GB of ram in there it can do everything that I need it to do (iTunes, websurfing, email and even Photoshop CS3 works well with it)

I bought this eMac brand new 5 years ago and it's been very faithful to me, I'm gonna keep it forever! (I'd like to get a Mac Mini in the next year but I'll keep this old beast since it's worth more to me than it is to sell it someone else)

Bacong
Feb 4, 2010, 07:34 PM
My 1.25 GHz Powerbook runs fine, but it's not really made for YouTube, or other flash sites. I have Leopard on it, and it handles it fine.

It does have upgraded RAM, though, to 1.25 GB.

Bacong
Feb 4, 2010, 07:38 PM
I'd get it,I had a 1Ghz eMac for awhile with 1GB of ram and it ram youtube and many other heavy flash sites really well.It would be a good first Mac,or upgrade from pc.

Really? Because my powerbook has a better processor, and more ram, and does not like youtube.

Maybe it would work better with Tiger?

sikkinixx
Feb 4, 2010, 09:21 PM
I found a mac mini on the local craigslist for $125... G4 1.42ghz... Old machines are tempting me!

eRondeau
Feb 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Leopard is not recommended, it will be excruciatingly slow. Tiger on the other hand will be very satisfactory on this system. For $75 get, load Tiger + ClickToFlash, and enjoy your retro Mac! :apple:

MacHamster68
Feb 5, 2010, 02:35 AM
my eMac 1.42 works perfect its my main computer for everything , and it does flash very well i have connected a second monitor to it and installed screenspanning doctor so now i have the 16" from the eMac plus another 17" , which was quiet tricky to find a monitor that is matching the color and design and matching resolutions , gave up at the end and bought a glossy white monitor which can produce 1280x960
so now i have 33" in total :D and it works perfectly:D

just to let you know albeit the mini g4 1.42 shares the same processor and nominal has the same 64mb vram , the eMac 1.42 has the better graphics card (radeon 9600 in the eMac compared to the 9200 of the mini)supporting core image and quarz extreme, ok it mirrors only screens by default , as apple has disabled the spanning feature in the open firmware, but screenspanning doctor works fine and enables that feature so you can use a second screen
and the mini g4 is maxed out with 1gb ram while the emac supports up to 2 gb ram which does make a difference too when you start multi tasking (more then 2 apps open at once )
especially if you need or want to use windows under virtual pc ,
virtual pc does a really good job if it has enough ram and if you are able to dedicate 1 gb ramit helps a lot ,
then windows xp really runs ,i dont want to use windows really but its nice to have it available if needs must
the eMac is the workhorse , and i love it
just to mention it , the eMac is a bit loud , but its not annoying as its constant fan speed ,no up and downs , but does not need to be, get zalman fanmate and connect it then you can hardly hear it , and no it does not overheat if the fan speed is a bit lower ( not fully switched of please)
apple did adjust the fan speed on the safe side , the emac will ,i assume still work in the middle of a dessert in summer and daytime temperature of 150F without heat problem in its native settings so in a normal environment like in the living room you rarely get 120F so you can drop the fanspeed and make it quiet :)

sikkinixx
Feb 5, 2010, 07:12 PM
I took a look at the eMac today.

Much faster than I thought (clean install of Tiger helps...) couldn't really test Flash since loading youtube made Safari crash while other sites gave me crap about not being updated. Screen is nice too.

Bad stuff is I got it mixed up. The $75 version is only 1ghz and has 512mb of ram. The one I looked at was $130 because of the 1gb of ram, plus airport, DVD-RW and such. Bit of a bummer. Also it was dirty... Needs a take apart and dusting in a bad way. Bit of sticker residue along the side too (I hate stickers so much). No discs to be included either and the keyboard isn't the original. I have an extra copy of Leopard, but not Tiger so I am a bit hesitant. I don't mind ripping it apart to clean it and add more stuff :P but I am bummed about the price.

MacHamster68
Feb 6, 2010, 08:11 AM
the price is a bit steep , but not far off , emacs are sought after as they are workhorses , have to remember they had been designed for use in schools , so they have to withstand some rough treatment , and they cope well , stickers are common ,even more common are safety marks done with a soldering iron on top of the eMacs so you are lucky not to get one of those, stickers can be removed and if you use a bit of car polish you can even get it nice and shiny again ,
dusting inside is a good idea and there are some good sites like this one here that show you how to take it apart step by step
http://www.wilko.com/emac/

once you took it apart take the back case and soak it in water with washing up liquid , works wonder
it gets really clean again especially the clear vented plastic bit tends to get a bit yellowish/brownish over time but with soaking it in washing up liquid becomes like new again
just make sure its dry again befor you put it back together as water and electricity dont mix very well

Hrududu
Feb 6, 2010, 08:29 AM
I took a look at the eMac today.

Much faster than I thought (clean install of Tiger helps...) couldn't really test Flash since loading youtube made Safari crash while other sites gave me crap about not being updated. Screen is nice too.

Bad stuff is I got it mixed up. The $75 version is only 1ghz and has 512mb of ram. The one I looked at was $130 because of the 1gb of ram, plus airport, DVD-RW and such. Bit of a bummer. Also it was dirty... Needs a take apart and dusting in a bad way. Bit of sticker residue along the side too (I hate stickers so much). No discs to be included either and the keyboard isn't the original. I have an extra copy of Leopard, but not Tiger so I am a bit hesitant. I don't mind ripping it apart to clean it and add more stuff :P but I am bummed about the price.
$130 sounds a little expensive for a 1.25GHz model. If it were the 1.42 then it would probably be worth it for the extra processor power and nicer graphics card. At least the eMac can be upgraded to 2GB of RAM whereas the Mini tops out at 1GB. Also, that 184pin PC2700 RAM is super cheap these days.

sikkinixx
Feb 6, 2010, 09:00 AM
Might see if I can talk him down a bit. Even at $130 the price is still cheaper than anything I have seen around lately.

Thanks for the advice again.

Patmn
Feb 6, 2010, 09:42 AM
Also, that 184pin PC2700 RAM is super cheap these days.

True! I got 1GB of 184 pin PC2700 ram for my eMac from E Bay for just $34! I was considering buying another 1 GB to replace the 512 mb I've got in one of the ram slots right now, but I'm just not sure if going from 1.5 to 2 GB of ram would really make all that noticeable of a difference on this eMac.

MacHamster68
Feb 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
ok i always think about our uk prices for used macs and $130 are just over 80
and thats a bargain price not to be missed for the uk
ok i know we in europe pay nearly double for what you guys in the us get the used macs :eek: if i see the prices on ebay .com , i get tears in my eyes and want to immigrate immediately :(

sikkinixx
Feb 6, 2010, 11:19 AM
ok i always think about our uk prices for used macs and $130 are just over 80
and thats a bargain price not to be missed for the uk
ok i know we in europe pay nearly double for what you guys in the us get the used macs :eek: if i see the prices on ebay .com , i get tears in my eyes and want to immigrate immediately :(

I know how you feel. Prices in the US are way cheaper than here in Canada.

raysfan81
Feb 8, 2010, 04:22 PM
go for it :apple:

simplymuzik3
Feb 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
I know how you feel. Prices in the US are way cheaper than here in Canada.

You're in Canada getting a price like that?! Where do you live! Im in Toronto and I hardly ever find good deals like that! I notice that Toronto is more expensive than other areas though.

1jimmymac64
May 1, 2010, 06:49 PM
It's probably too little too late, but I'll chime in. I got my first Mac (to get my Mac feet wet). I stumbled on a great deal on a G4 eMac 1.25 running 10.5.8 and while it's not quite the power and speed I'm used to on my dual core PC's, I (even being a power user) and damn impressed at how snappy it is for the 'basics' and it was a great way to get learning about Macs and OS X. I got it with 512mb and found another stick of (matching!) DDR-PC2700 off craigslist for a measly $10 so running 1gb RAM which I highly recommend. I can tell ya, I'm really loving the Mac world and will be getting a G5 when I can afford it only because the G4 exposed me to a whole new world that I'm really, really enjoying.

speedwaygirl
May 1, 2010, 06:55 PM
Well it's a bit of apples (no pun intended) and oranges, but my son is using my old 1.33 Ghz iBook with 1 GB of ram and it still works great. I think that we are still running Tiger on there. It works great for his web surfing and for Microsoft Office. I wouldn't do any video rendering or anything, but it's a great machine for the basics.

If the price was right, I'd buy another!

prss14
May 7, 2010, 01:24 PM
The only problem I have with my eMac is with flash video. Kinda choppy. It is a little slower than something brand new, but compared to a new netbook it is just as fast in response and program opening. But I have been paying more like $35 for the eMacs on Craigslist for my school.

eRondeau
May 7, 2010, 03:04 PM
The only problem I have with my eMac is with flash video. Kinda choppy. It is a little slower than something brand new, but compared to a new netbook it is just as fast in response and program opening. But I have been paying more like $35 for the eMacs on Craigslist for my school.

Even the simplest Flash can bring a 100GHz 16-core Mac Pro to its knees (or at least it WILL when that machine comes out in about 2025!) That's just what Flash does, and it's one of several reasons why Apple and Adobe aren't exactly best of friends anymore. Having said that -- you'll find an earlier version of Flash Player is much more PowerPC G4 friendly. Can't remember what it is off-hand but search the forums and you'll be pointed in the right direction.

MacHamster68
May 7, 2010, 05:57 PM
the problem is with flashplayer 9 that the amount of websites that do not support the old flashpayer 9 is increasing every day , which means in a year or two its pointless to go online any more because then you need flashplayer 10 as minimum and you will need windows as its the only operating system that gets all the support from adobe , even linux seems to get more support from adobe then osx, as i never had problems of any kind using linux and flash
ok my eMac 1.42 and mini 1.42 still open sites with flashplayer 10 , but regular the cpu usage goes up to 100%on the mini , the eMac handles it a bit better , might be because the emac has the better graphics card and more vram

robeddie
May 8, 2010, 03:35 AM

I guess I missed something here. Apples system requirements say Leopard (10.5) requires an INTEL processor. Does it work on a g4 despite that? Do you have to use a special patch?

MacHamster68
May 8, 2010, 03:50 AM
I guess I missed something here. Apples system requirements say Leopard (10.5) requires an INTEL processor. Does it work on a g4 despite that? Do you have to use a special patch?
Leopard supports both PowerPC- and Intel x86-based Macintosh computers; support for the G3 processor was dropped and the G4 processor required a minimum clock rate of 867 MHz, and at least 512 MB of RAM to be installed.but there are hacks to get it running with less mhz

its snow leopard that requieres a intel processor and only snow leopard ,
leopard , tiger ,panther , jaguar , puma ,cheetah all work on ppc Mac's

so with the introduction of snow leopard apple slammed the door in the face of ppc Mac users
and you only get still updates for tiger and leopard because they discovered that they sold some intel macs in the past with these operating systems

TheMythTheMan
Jun 9, 2010, 09:57 AM

I've tried youtube/hulu on the same machine (cept 1.5gb ram) with both tiger and leopard and it was extremely choppy. You must be delusional

zen.state
Jun 9, 2010, 10:11 AM
I've tried youtube/hulu on the same machine (cept 1.5gb ram) with both tiger and leopard and it was extremely choppy. You must be delusional

One of my 2 spare Sawtooth towers is a G4 1.0GHz and it plays youtube videos just fine. Maybe you're the delusional one.

TheMythTheMan
Jun 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
One of my 2 spare Sawtooth towers is a G4 1.0GHz and it plays youtube videos just fine. Maybe you're the delusional one.

Or your graphics card isn't using 32mb shared

zen.state
Jun 10, 2010, 10:41 AM
Or your graphics card isn't using 32mb shared

Correct. It has a Radeon 9000 64MB AGP.

kernkraft
Jun 13, 2010, 04:54 PM
So, what sort of places or sites would you recommend for upgrading parts?

I just bought a 1.25GHz eMac as I always liked these older plastic ones (currently I have 2 unibody MBPs and an Air, so I'm getting bored with aluminium).

Mine has 768 MB RAM and Panther on it.

I am planning to replace the HDD with a 7200rpm one and the RAM will be upgraded to 1GB (can I increase that limit?). I have some old DDR2 RAM units (white MB, late-2006, C2D), would they be any good?

I am thinking about overclocking, which might be fun with these eMacs. They are so solid, that I don't expect any problems. I am planning to use the computer by the pool house. My C2D alu ones are so annoying outside. The Air is the only one that I can use outdoors. I think the eMac will be great for videos and basic web browsing.

I might even attempt to edit some MiniDV on it. While the new ones overheat under medium workload, I will be having fun with my old fun-machine. Giggity! (no porn, though!)

One more thing... I cannot wait to get back to Tiger. I just love that OS.

MacHamster68
Jun 13, 2010, 05:17 PM
you can run osx leopard on the eMac 1.42
you can increase to 2gb ram but only PC2700 ddr ram (no ddr2)
has to be PC2700 or ddr 333 cl 2.5 but ddr 400 cl3 works too
but has to be for Mac
and another thing the eMac has a mini vga port on the side where all the ports are , if you get a mini vga to vga adapter you can even connect a second monitor ,
ok natively mirror only , but you can download "screen spanning doctor" and run the script and enjoy a desktop over 2 monitors , because apple has only blocked this feature in open firmware to protect the sales of more expensive Macs

kernkraft
Jun 13, 2010, 05:43 PM
you can run osx leopard on the eMac 1.42
you can increase to 2gb ram but only PC2700 ddr ram (no ddr2)
has to be PC2700 or ddr 333 cl 2.5 but ddr 400 cl3 works too
but has to be for Mac
and another thing the eMac has a mini vga port on the side where all the ports are , if you get a mini vga to vga adapter you can even connect a second monitor ,
ok natively mirror only , but you can download "screen spanning doctor" and run the script and enjoy a desktop over 2 monitors , because apple has only blocked this feature in open firmware to protect the sales of more expensive Macs

Thanks for your post (even if it was not meant to be for me :) ).

Can anybody recommend a HDD for these eMacs, please? I have a few standard 2.5" ones that came with recent Macs. One is 160GB, the 120GB limit doesn't apply to the eMacs, only some towers, is that right?

MacHamster68
Jun 13, 2010, 05:50 PM
the eMac is using a standard 3.5" Ultra ATA/100 hard drive without limit, but a 2.5 "would get lost inside ;)

coupdetat
Jun 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
eMacs are very very loud, but they are nearly indestructible. I used my 1 ghz eMac for a while but eventually sold it. I personally wouldn't buy another one simply because of the massive racket the fan creates, but in terms of performance, they are very usable. But yeah. Flash is worthless on PPC's. Flash 10 even brought my 2.0ghz iMac G5 to its knees, and Flash 9 is very fast but not compatible with a lot of sites like Hulu. So PPC's really aren't terribly viable if you're looking to surf the web a lot, but they are perfect if you are using it as a work machine--office apps, a little music, email, etc.

kernkraft
Jun 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
Yes, it's 3.5", IDE. Now I definitely want to turn it into a media-focused 'fourthary' ;) computer. Probably 250GB with 2GB RAM will hum along just fine.

Actually, I just realised that I might have an old G4 PowerBook in the office somewhere with loose RAM and starting-up issues. I'm really looking forward to this old-Mac game.

MacHamster68
Jun 14, 2010, 05:42 AM
as i have 2 eMacs 1.42 ghz models and use them for media i have fitted 2 harddrives in one (sacrificing the optical drive ) now both harddrives have 750gb and in the the second eMac is a 750gb harddrive too sharing the optical drive via the network ,
and for the loudness of the fan , as i mentioned it earlier at one point
i fitted ZALMAN fanmate's which are making them nearly
as quiet as my Mac mini ,ok you can still hear the fans but only if you are close to the extractor hole at the back , sitting in front certainly as quiet as a iMac g5

drewdle
Jun 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
Out of curiosity, why use the eMac when you have better machines? I'm asking myself that since I too have much quicker machines... I think I'm a bit of a sucker for nostalgia, though that only goes to a point. I had a 400mhz G3 a few years ago and it was punishment.

I have a six month old MacBook, and yet for some reason I find using my iMac more of a comfort. See my sig for the nitty gritty, but suffice it to say she rolls at about half the speed that eMac does and I can still do everything perfectly fine. Flash is a dog, but HTML5 video actually works! Safari 5 under Leopard also works, and is a tiny bit more responsive than Safari 4 was.

As long as you don't have any moving or shaking in mind :), it should make a good little secondary machine.

PowerGamerX
Jun 14, 2010, 11:17 AM
If you absolutely need Flash go with Tiger on that eMac, however, since the HTML5 YouTube beta, I see no reason to not go with Leopard unless you do lots of flash games and other flash sites. Even low quality Flash videos run at tolerable speed on Leopard though.

Other than the dock magnification effect (which I never use anyway) Leopard runs faster than Tiger on my machine.

drewdle
Jun 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
If you absolutely need Flash go with Tiger on that eMac, however, since the HTML5 YouTube beta, I see no reason to not go with Leopard unless you do lots of flash games and other flash sites. Even low quality Flash videos run at tolerable speed on Leopard though.

Other than the dock magnification effect (which I never use anyway) Leopard runs faster than Tiger on my machine.

Just as an aside, I wonder what causes the speed differences. I haven't seen a lick of difference between Tiger and Leopard on my iMac, and Leopard has more to offer, so it wasn't a difficult decision. Flash runs poorly for me in both environments.

MacHamster68
Jun 14, 2010, 03:14 PM
Just as an aside, I wonder what causes the speed differences. I haven't seen a lick of difference between Tiger and Leopard on my iMac, and Leopard has more to offer, so it wasn't a difficult decision. Flash runs poorly for me in both environments.

try HTML5 beta and you will be surprised what your iMac can handle
and there is nothing you cant have in tiger too
try for example a program called "desktop manager" in my opinion even better then spaces (works in leopard too )

666sheep
Jun 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
but ddr 400 cl3 works too
but has to be for Mac

If may I correct it: it hasn't to be "for Mac". Almost every DDR 2700 or 3200 will work. DDR based Macs aren't that "picky" as SDRAM based.

MacHamster68
Jun 14, 2010, 04:52 PM
yes you may,
but i did want to make it clear as some people just go for the cheapest pc 2700 pc 3200 or ddr333/ddr400
which is usually high density ram which does't work in Mac's and not even in every pc

666sheep
Jun 14, 2010, 05:06 PM
You're OFC right about high density RAM (not compatible with Macs).
So, to complete this RAM compatibility knowlegde, i'd like to add how to recognize is RAM, which we plan to buy, is low or high density: http://www.1ststop.net/

kernkraft
Jun 21, 2010, 10:12 AM
yes you may,
but i did want to make it clear as some people just go for the cheapest pc 2700 pc 3200 or ddr333/ddr400
which is usually high density ram which does't work in Mac's and not even in every pc

Good point. I'm just planning to start using an old emac (1.25GHz) and currently it has 768MB RAM. My plan is to keep the 512MB unit and replace the other one with a 1GB unit. Can anybody recommend a cheap (and not necessarily nasty) module and a place to get it from? Would this be OK? http://www.offtek.co.uk/ModelData.php?stid=59&model=184+Pin+Dimm+-+SDRAM+-+2.5V+-+DDR+-+PC2700+%28PC-333%29+-+ECC&modeltype=&manu=Major

I am also planning to replace the 40 or 60 GB HDD with a 250GB, 7200rpm one. I already found a candidate: http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Seagate-DB353-250GB-7200-IDEPATA-8MB-Cache-OEM-1YR-Warranty_26456.html

It should be OK, shouldn't it? The reason why I want to use this old emac is because I have three C2D Macs (MBPs, MBA) set up in a network with too much work stuff and I really want to separate my personal photo collection and media files from the unibodies.

666sheep
Jun 21, 2010, 12:10 PM
Would this be OK? http://www.offtek.co.uk/ModelData.php?stid=59&model=184+Pin+Dimm+-+SDRAM+-+2.5V+-+DDR+-+PC2700+%28PC-333%29+-+ECC&modeltype=&manu=Major

No, it's ECC memory - for servers only.
Non ECC will be OK (http://www.offtek.co.uk/ddr.php?subcat=59&subgroup=2&memtype=PC2700#59) Ask seller if you have any doubts. If it will be low density 184 pin PC2700 - it will work. As i see on this offtek site, DIMMs are made by Samsung, Transcend and Hynix. All these three brands are confirmed to work with Macs.

HDD will be OK, there's no HDD size limit in your eMac. If it's ATA, it will work. For example, WD Caviar SE WD2500 will be good as well.

macgeek18
Jun 21, 2010, 02:50 PM
My 1.25 GHz Powerbook runs fine, but it's not really made for YouTube, or other flash sites. I have Leopard on it, and it handles it fine.

It does have upgraded RAM, though, to 1.25 GB.

I use my dual 867 PM G4 for youtube and it runs everything without a hitch,and that's using Safari 4,and my 867 PM G4 Quicksilver is the exact same way.

kernkraft
Jun 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
No, it's ECC memory - for servers only.
Non ECC will be OK (http://www.offtek.co.uk/ddr.php?subcat=59&subgroup=2&memtype=PC2700#59) Ask seller if you have any doubts. If it will be low density 184 pin PC2700 - it will work. As i see on this offtek site, DIMMs are made by Samsung, Transcend and Hynix. All these three brands are confirmed to work with Macs.

HDD will be OK, there's no HDD size limit in your eMac. If it's ATA, it will work. For example, WD Caviar SE WD2500 will be good as well.

Thanks for your reply!

I actually bought another eMac - they are so cheap and this one is going to my nieces. They have super-duper powerful PCs (my brother is an architect) and I don't think he's very relaxed about the girls using his computers. How can you explain it to a 4 years old not to mess up things on a PC? So now they'll have a plaything - the weight and dimensions might be actually useful as an eMac is more difficult to push off the table.

g3powerbook boy
Jun 21, 2010, 05:55 PM
I just bought a g4 titanium powerbook 400mhz/512 and enjoy using it very much it works perfect for me and has no problems with you tube for the most part like 99% of the time. i still have and use a g3 imac 400/256 and it does everything i need it to do also. I still have my g3 powerbook pismo 500 mhz/512 and use it in my truck for the computer for storm chasing... mostly running live weather radar and such. I think you will enjoy the emac and the ppc processors seem to live forever. I trust my life to a g3 powerbook so they must be good

englishman
Jun 22, 2010, 04:42 AM
My date needs to be reset every boot. Is that the battery? They can be bought on Ebay for 5 in UK - Is it worth replacing? Its an easy job.

MacHamster68
Jun 22, 2010, 04:52 AM
My date needs to be reset every boot. Is that the battery? They can be bought on Ebay for 5 in UK - Is it worth replacing? Its an easy job.
yes you need a new battery easy to replace , if you open the eMac on the bottom where the ram is you should spot the battery ;)

btw you already have the cheapest dual monitor option , get a mini vga to vga adapter
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/60/63/2845225b9da0c40bf3608110.L.jpg
and connect a monitor or tv to your eMac and then just install "screen spanning doctor " taraaaaa desktop spread out over 2 monitors , the internal and the external cant get cheaper then that , works fine on my eMacs , you need screen spanning doctor or do some open firmware hacks (thats what screen spanning doctor does for you) as apple has disabled the spanning function in the open firmware to avoid loosing sales on the more expensive Mac's

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

englishman
Jun 22, 2010, 05:12 AM
btw you already have the cheapest dual monitor option , get a mini vga to vga adapter

Wow yes. Trouble is I already have 2 very nice 19 Dell TFTs and the eMac screen I find a little fuzzy for my tired 50 year old eyes.

Good idea for some though.

MacHamster68
Jun 22, 2010, 05:24 AM
i just did want to point it out , because thats a big pluspoint of the eMac , thats overlooked loads of times , as officially apple still says its only able to mirror the screen , but in fact with that little tweak the spanning function can be enabled